PDA

View Full Version : Slow starting of slimserver and error in event log



Michel Fombellida
2004-06-13, 08:28
Since I installed the nighly release 2 days ago, slimserver takes a long time
to start: it stays about 50 seconds on the splash screen saying "Slimserver
for windows. Starting up" before starting. With all previous nightly it only
took a couple of seconds to start.

I see multiple Application Errors in the evenlog saying: Undefine subroutine
&Perlsvc::stopserver called at slimserver.pl line 42.

Any idea, what could I check?

Michel

dean
2004-06-14, 08:25
Hi Michel,

It looks like the SlimServer service isn't starting for you, so the
SlimServer GUI application has to wait while it brings up a copy of the
background application.

Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the SlimServer software?

-dean

On Jun 13, 2004, at 8:28 AM, Michel Fombellida wrote:

> Since I installed the nighly release 2 days ago, slimserver takes a
> long time
> to start: it stays about 50 seconds on the splash screen saying
> "Slimserver
> for windows. Starting up" before starting. With all previous nightly
> it only
> took a couple of seconds to start.
>
> I see multiple Application Errors in the evenlog saying: Undefine
> subroutine
> &Perlsvc::stopserver called at slimserver.pl line 42.
>
> Any idea, what could I check?
>
> Michel
>
>
>

Denny Page
2004-06-14, 09:01
I don't think that the server not starting is the problem. I experience
50-60 second delays with an already running (and idle) server.

I have also performed the following sequence:
* server not running
* double click on gui icon
* gui splash screen comes up
* wait 5 seconds
* attempt browser access (http://localhost:9000/)
* browser interface renders after 2 seconds and is fully functional
* another 50 seconds passes
* gui splash disappears and gui app renders

Denny


----- Original Message -----
From: "dean blackketter" <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Monday, 14 June, 2004 08:25
Subject: [slim] Slow starting of slimserver and error in event log


> Hi Michel,
>
> It looks like the SlimServer service isn't starting for you, so the
> SlimServer GUI application has to wait while it brings up a copy of the
> background application.
>
> Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling the SlimServer software?
>
> -dean
>
> On Jun 13, 2004, at 8:28 AM, Michel Fombellida wrote:
>
> > Since I installed the nighly release 2 days ago, slimserver takes a
> > long time
> > to start: it stays about 50 seconds on the splash screen saying
> > "Slimserver
> > for windows. Starting up" before starting. With all previous nightly
> > it only
> > took a couple of seconds to start.
> >
> > I see multiple Application Errors in the evenlog saying: Undefine
> > subroutine
> > &Perlsvc::stopserver called at slimserver.pl line 42.
> >
> > Any idea, what could I check?
> >
> > Michel
> >
> >
> >

Michel Fombellida
2004-06-14, 10:38
Hi Dean,

I uninstalled (some files were still under C:\Program files\slimserver and
removed them manually), re-installed the version of the 13th and it still
takes about 50 sec to start the GUI, note that the server is running because
my SB's are working fine.

Michel

dean
2004-06-14, 11:09
Ok, thanks Michel. Vidur is looking into this today. It might be a
bug that got introduced when he worked on the SlimServer GUI
application last week. Stay tuned.

On Jun 14, 2004, at 10:38 AM, Michel Fombellida wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> I uninstalled (some files were still under C:\Program files\slimserver
> and
> removed them manually), re-installed the version of the 13th and it
> still
> takes about 50 sec to start the GUI, note that the server is running
> because
> my SB's are working fine.
>
> Michel
>
>
>
>

Michel Fombellida
2004-06-14, 11:39
OK, thanks Dean. Let me know if you want me to check something specific.
Michel

vidurapparao
2004-06-15, 11:54
It turned out to be a side-effect of fixing HTTP Keep-Alive. I've
checked in a fix to the slow start that should be available in
tomorrow's nightly build. Thanks for reporting the problem.

--Vidur

dean blackketter wrote:

> Ok, thanks Michel. Vidur is looking into this today. It might be a
> bug that got introduced when he worked on the SlimServer GUI
> application last week. Stay tuned.
>
> On Jun 14, 2004, at 10:38 AM, Michel Fombellida wrote:
>
>> Hi Dean,
>>
>> I uninstalled (some files were still under C:\Program
>> files\slimserver and
>> removed them manually), re-installed the version of the 13th and it
>> still
>> takes about 50 sec to start the GUI, note that the server is running
>> because
>> my SB's are working fine.
>>
>> Michel
>>
>>
>>
>>