PDA

View Full Version : SB Classic - middle line of display goes missing !

Papa Smurf
2009-07-20, 03:18
Morning all -

I picked up a Squeezebox Classic yesterday, and set it up without major incident. Fresh installation of SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 on Windows XP SP2, connected via WLAN at 86% signal strength. Everything is working fine, and I am REALLY pleased with it - apart from one thing that is driving me crazy..

After almost exactly 20 minutes from initial power-up, the middle line of the display simply goes out. It doesn't corrupt itself, flicker or mess about first- it just, suddenly, goes blank. I have attached a jpg that shows it. Power-off (by which I mean, switch off at the wall) for 30 seconds does NOT fix this... but power-off for 45 seconds DOES. But then of course, after probably less than five minutes now, it goes out again. Bouncing SlimServer does not seem to help either.

It gets bizarrer (?!) than that, though.. I noticed this morning that, if I set the 'now playing' screensaver to be the spectrum analyser.... after a few seconds of spectrum analytical goodness, the middle line reappears ! Wonderful, I think to myself... but if I left-arrow back to the 'Now Playing' display, the middle line is gone again !.

It's not getting unduly hot, so I doubt it is a thermally intermittent issue.. the fact that it works at first, and seems to reappear under certain circumstances, tells me it's not a physical fault... so I am thinking firmware issue, or some issue with SlimServer itself ? The first thing it did on power-up was upgrade its firmware - version 271 I believe. Also, I read elsewhere on this forum, that the display info is all sent as a bit pattern to the SB by the server...so could that be the problem ?

Any advice would be gratefully received - I LOVE this little box, but it's breaking my heart that it has an issue...

TIA

Chris.

radish
2009-07-20, 08:23
That looks like an intermittent hardware issue to me, contact support or your retailer (as appropriate) for an exchange.

Papa Smurf
2009-07-20, 14:50
Hi Radish - thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am starting to think that too. Have reinstalled SqueezeCenter, and have factory reset the SB3.. no luck. I have now worked out - whether the middle display line is missing or not, depends on the brightness of the display (as set by the remote, or as preset in various screensavers etc). At highest setting - no middle line. Next dimmest - no middle line. Least dim - middle line appears !! Are there separate feeds to the display for each brightness level ? Is it possible that this is just a ribbon cable internally that needs reseating ?

Thanks again to all -

Kind Regards

tcutting
2009-07-20, 14:55
Have you tried a Xilinx reset? Might be worth a shot.

(from the wiki):
Disconnect the power
Press and hold "1" on the remote
Reconnect the power
Release the "1" button when you see "Programming xilinx" on the screen

radish
2009-07-20, 17:33
Hi Radish - thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am starting to think that too. Have reinstalled SqueezeCenter, and have factory reset the SB3.. no luck. I have now worked out - whether the middle display line is missing or not, depends on the brightness of the display (as set by the remote, or as preset in various screensavers etc). At highest setting - no middle line. Next dimmest - no middle line. Least dim - middle line appears !! Are there separate feeds to the display for each brightness level ? Is it possible that this is just a ribbon cable internally that needs reseating ?

Thanks again to all -

Kind Regards

My guess (and I'm no electronics engineer so it really is a guess!) is that different brightness levels == different voltages in the display driver. It's possible you have a component which is only working at some of those voltages.

Papa Smurf
2009-07-21, 04:40
Thanks radish, tcutting...

Yes, I agree. Have factory reset the SB, plus done a xilinx reset, reinstalled SqueezeCenter, swapped out the power supply... no luck, so it HAS to be the SB hardware.

Before I go about getting it looked at, is there likely to be anything I can reseat or tighten (ribbon cables etc) internally, myself ? This unit has only just been shipped to me, so physical shock is the most likely cause I guess...

If not - since I am in the UK, is there a UK service agent for Logitech, or is it going to have to come back to the US ? (In which case - I guess the cost is going to make it uneconomical... :-( )

Thanks again folks -

Kind Regards

radish
2009-07-21, 06:29
If it were me I'd not open it as I wouldn't want to harm the warranty. Traditionally SD didn't care about such things, but now a larger company is involved I'mnot sure. Anyway, the following link is to Logitech UK support:

http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_emea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6861

But if you bought it in the UK just return it to the seller, they're obliged to replace it for you.

ScottRennie
2009-07-21, 06:29
since I am in the UK, is there a UK service agent for Logitech, or is it going to have to come back to the US ? (In which case - I guess the cost is going to make it uneconomical... :-( )

I had a similar problem with a line which went permanently blank. I contacted Logitec and they swapped it for a new one at no cost (even though it was an original Squeeze unit) - spoke to a chap in the Netherlands - couldn't be more helpfull!!

Papa Smurf
2009-07-21, 15:49
Hi -

Thanks for all advice received. Based on your comments, it looks like Logitech are my best bet for a guaranteed resolution - ScottRennie, can you please let me have the details for the person with whom you spoke, in the Netherlands.. if it was not via the link kindly provided by radish ?

Thanks once again -

Kind Regards

ScottRennie
2010-04-30, 06:05
Hi -

Thanks for all advice received. Based on your comments, it looks like Logitech are my best bet for a guaranteed resolution - ScottRennie, can you please let me have the details for the person with whom you spoke, in the Netherlands.. if it was not via the link kindly provided by radish ?

Thanks once again -

Kind Regards

Sorry Mate - just been through my old posts & found yours here.... did you get it fixed?

Merlin
2010-05-10, 11:00
I have the same problem on mine exactly as described above. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on? My SB3 is out of the warranty period too!

Merlin
2010-05-10, 11:00
I have the same problem on mine exactly as described above. Does anyone
have any ideas on what is going on? My SB3 is out of the warranty
period too!

--
Merlin
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Merlin's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=17932
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65776