PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Duet Stability

sxr71
2009-07-19, 15:32
This is exactly the state of affairs with this system. If you restart the server the Duet needs a restart. There goes any plan to hide it away somewhere. It is not stable and the same goes for the Squeezecenter software.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/logitech-squeezebox-duet/4864-6739_7-32815168-1.html

The words "crashed during a party" are exactly what I hate to hear and after recommending it to other people I would be laughed at for recommending a product that really hasn't been completed in all these years. Now instead of making the system bulletproof, we have developers sitting here "reinventing the wheel" by again going back to SQL lite and breaking existing functionality. What next? In 6 months they go back to MySQL and in the meantime changes which improve the actual stability and usability of the product are neglected while they dicker around with major changes with no point whatsoever. Maybe they should stick with one plan and get that to be stable before messing with something isn't the problem.

I want to support this open source system, but really judging by all the issues I read here and in the Squeezecenter forums, this system is the software equivalent of making a table with sticks, a plank, and rubber bands. It breaks all the time.

In all this time, they still haven't gotten the Duet FW to work properly and consistently? In fact the more recent FW updates break things that used to work with each new release breaking something new. They say its a "design decision", why can't stability be a "design decision"?

The system is great for tinkerers and uber nerds who want to play with software and Linux and live with horrid, putrid performance for the bragging rights to say they are running it off a NAS. It's really something only a real nerd could love, and that's why I loved it. But sometimes I need something that just works. And this system just isn't it. I can't be messing with problems when all I want to do is listen to music.

I'll still keep mine and run it as a hobby, but this isn't ready to use for any reliable purpose and is worth recommending to anyone who just wants to listen to music. Too bad, it had a lot of potential. It could still have it when the developers decide to focus on what's important and not vacillate between major design decisions back and forth with no real purpose. By the time 7.4 is ready it won't be until December and it will have its own new bugs and instabilities. All this time could have been used to make the system stable.

I'm sorry I tried, but sometimes I have to take my nerd hat off and put my consumer hat on. As a consumer this system is not ready. As nerd, this system works as a digital Meccano set for music.

notec
2009-07-19, 18:27
I dissuade people from buying the Logitech Duet every chance I get. There are SO MANY problems with the duet it is not a hard sell at all to convince folks to steer clear... too bad I had to learn from experience on this one.

studs
2009-07-20, 02:07
"If you restart the server the Duet needs a restart." This phenomenon has not occured with my Duet since I bought it over a year ago. I've run SC on both a regular PC (Vista x64) and now on a NAS (QNAP TS-119) without any issues what so ever. I also have never had any issues with updating SC or the actual firmware. I've had some rebuffering issues but they have been solved with newer versions of SC, 7.3.3 is working rocksolid in my current wireless setup.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience isn't as pleasant as mine is and I'm not going to say that it's a user error because I'm well aware of the wifi issues that have been reported with the Duet in particular. I also own a Boom and the wifi part is more stable than that of the Duet.

What's your hardware setup for your Duet?

paulster
2009-07-20, 05:48
I can't say that I've ever had this problem either.

My Duet received hasn't been rebooted in ages and the last two times have been for firmware updates when I've upgraded SqueezeCenter.

My SqueezeCenter server is showing an uptime of over 90 days at the moment, and in that time I've stopped and started the SqueezeCenter application twice because I was doing some unrelated work on the box it runs on, but other than that it's been on 24x7.

It probably serves music off disk for 6-8 hours a day without a glitch.

Maybe you've got a faulty one, or other environmental factors affecting the stability of yours, but I think it's unfair to label the product conceptually broken based on your sample of 1.

aubuti
2009-07-20, 06:47
This is exactly the state of affairs with this system. If you restart the server the Duet needs a restart.
Please stop making sweeping general statements based entirely on selected experiences. Maybe if you restart the server then your Duet needs a restart, but that hasn't been my case at all. I restart SC often because I test the nightly betas, and it doesn't require a restart of the SBC or the SBR.

Definitely some people have problems with SB systems, and moreso with the SBC. So, you can try to figure out why it's not working for you, and people here will try to help. Or you could call support, who in my experience have been very good. Or you can decide it's not worth the effort for you and move on.

DLORDE
2009-07-20, 07:14
I hadn't used my Duet Controller for months, due the problems it had with connecting to the network, waking up, depleting the battery, etc., etc. I wasn't expecting miracles with such a novel product, but it was very disappointing. However, I recently installed the new software (7.3.3) and have been using it since without any of those problems - it now works as I expect it to. So kudos to Logitech for eventually sorting out so many problems - shame it took so long, but network-related problems can be a nightmare to bug-fix.

avta
2009-07-20, 07:21
I have both an SB2 and a Duet. I find the Duet much more stable and user friendly. I haven't had to re-start it except on rare occasions other than with updates of software. In the past when I first got the SB2 it was often necessary to restart it and re-set parameters. I think that subsequent software upgrades have improved things a lot. I suspect you have some part(s) of your setup which are causing problems. Could we help?

funkstar
2009-07-20, 09:17
Now instead of making the system bulletproof, we have developers sitting here "reinventing the wheel" by again going back to SQL lite and breaking existing functionality. What next? In 6 months they go back to MySQL and in the meantime changes which improve the actual stability and usability of the product are neglected while they dicker around with major changes with no point whatsoever. Maybe they should stick with one plan and get that to be stable before messing with something isn't the problem.
The descision to move back to SQLite has been discussed many, many times on here. And there are very good reasons for doing this, one of which is easier support and more control, which should mean less issues with the database engine. Antivirus apps have caused a lot of problems with MySQL recently, changing to SQLite removes this problem.

In hindsight, moving the MySQL was the wrong thing to do. SQLite has moved on since it was last used for SqueezeCenter. Muxt be a couple of years since SqueezeServer 6.5 was released anyway.

ncarver
2009-07-21, 19:35
I have had close to zero problems with my Duet over nearly two years of use. I use it as my main music source, and have put away my CD players. The OP's description doesn't resemble my experience in the least. If the OP has spent any time at all on this forum then he should know that there are many, many people having few/no problems with the Duet. It is frankly rather insulting to us to have him say that anyone using the Duet is putting up with "putrid" performance just to get essentially "geek cred."

Too bad that things go wrong for some people, but there are lots of variables the Logitech cannot control for. Having bought a pretty good number of of computers and peripherals over the last several years (for my research), I have spent lots of time reading reviews on sites like NewEgg. I find these reviews mirror our experiences with the Duet. Take virtually any piece of computer-related equipment and you will find a significant fraction of people saying it works nearly flawlessly and was easy to set up, but also a significant fraction saying it is a piece of crap and they will never buy anything from that company again. How can a wifi router work perfectly for 40% of people and not at all for another 40%? Is it really the equipment, or is it the users? Lots of luck finding a wifi router or raid card, etc, where >90% of people rate it 4/5 stars.