PDA

View Full Version : Streaming to iPhone?

b33k34
2009-07-15, 15:06
Can i stream from slimserver to my iPhone?

I'm using iPeng already but i'd like to actually stream to the phone itself.

davep
2009-07-15, 15:40

I'm sure Pippin will jump in and answer this but as far as I know this is not yet possible with iPeng but is a possible future addition. However if you take a look at Simplify Media you will find an app that can do streaming from your library to the iPhone. Has worked very well for me, even allowing streaming when outside the house via wifi in coffee shops etc.

davep

maggior
2009-07-15, 18:41
Funny this should come up because I was just looking at this today. I found SimplifyMedia in my searching.

A couple of questions:
1) Does it support FLAC?
2) Does it play gapless FLAC and LAME mp3?

Thanks!
Rich

EnochLight
2009-07-15, 21:45
No and no.

davep
2009-07-15, 21:46
Funny this should come up because I was just looking at this today. I found SimplifyMedia in my searching.

A couple of questions:
1) Does it support FLAC?
2) Does it play gapless FLAC and LAME mp3?

Thanks!
Rich

Rich,
1. Yes it apparently does Flac, although there must be some kind of compression applied to enable this to work across what is bound to be limited bandwidth. I haven't tried this myself yet as I keep a parallel mp3 library to feed the iPod anyway.

2. As for gapless I am not actually sure as I don't recall trying it. I will have a check if I get the chance later today.

davep

pippin
2009-07-15, 23:40

Working on it for iPeng.
Until it's ready I use streaming apps like "Tuner" to play the "stream.mp3" stream from the server although this is not really a good solution - you won't have any control over the stream.

davep
2009-07-16, 02:24
Rich,
1. Yes it apparently does Flac, although there must be some kind of compression applied to enable this to work across what is bound to be limited bandwidth. I haven't tried this myself yet as I keep a parallel mp3 library to feed the iPod anyway.

2. As for gapless I am not actually sure as I don't recall trying it. I will have a check if I get the chance later today.

davep
Just checked on gapless with Flac and the answer is no it doesn't.

davep

kernel
2009-07-16, 03:44
A workaround is to use softsqueeze to play the sound and then use an app like audioin to stream to the iphone.