PDA

View Full Version : 24/96 with SB classic?

peber
2009-07-14, 13:36
Hi!

Bought a SB classic a few weeks ago and love it! I am amazed how good the sound is even from the onboard DAC... Now I have discovered the possibility to buy classical music as FLAC. So I have a question... From the specs for the classic it seems that the DAC is 24 bit. It also says that digital out is max 48 kHz if I understand correctly. However, I downloaded a test file 24/96 FLAC from linnrecords.com and that file played fine which it shouldn't according to the specs? On the display of the classic it said that it was 88 kHz... So now I am confused... Can I buy 24/96 FLAC and it will play over the analog outputs of the classic? Will it play if I add an external DAC at a later stage? Can someone explain this for me? What is the highest bitrate/sampling freq that I can play?

/Per

SuperQ
2009-07-14, 13:42
The current version of SqueezeCenter uses automatic down-sampling on the server to allow playback of higher bitrate files. The work is done by a program called SoX. SoX's algorithms for doing this are very high quality.

peber
2009-07-14, 14:01
So it is safe to buy 24/96? How high can I go? 24/192? And if a recording is available in different sampling rates is it worth the extra money to get a higher bitrate/sampling freq if it is downsampled? Is SoX so good that a downsampled 24/96 will still sound better than 16/44.1?

/Per

Phil Leigh
2009-07-14, 14:18
So it is safe to buy 24/96? How high can I go? 24/192? And if a recording is available in different sampling rates is it worth the extra money to get a higher bitrate/sampling freq if it is downsampled? Is SoX so good that a downsampled 24/96 will still sound better than 16/44.1?

/Per

You can go a high as you like. SOX will reduce it to whatever the MAXIMUM quality your player supports.
I'd personally say that there is ABSOLUTELY no audible difference between 24/192 vs 24/96... the really crucial thing is 24 vs 16 bit (or to be more accurate, 20-21 bit vs 16 bit).

The real benefit here is NOT technical (Nyquist, Shannon et al pretty much nailed that) - IMHO it's that the mastering of the high-res material is occasionally allowed to shine in a 24 - 88.2/96/192 environment.

I suggest you just listen and "learn" (or not) - it's your brain/ears after all. This isn't about physics class.

peber
2009-07-14, 16:05
OK, thanks! I'll try some... :-)

/Per