PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Duet Controller On 24x7 or Not?

MikeekiM
2009-07-14, 06:42
Hi All...

Was wondering how you all use your controller...

I typically turn it on and off as I need it... But the "boot up" process is so long, it's a bit frustrating to wait for it to be in a "ready" state...

I was thinking that I might just leave it on all the time so that it is available on demand at any time of the day/night... But I was concerned about burning out the screen (and any other consequence that comes with leaving something on all the time)...

What was the intended use-case for the controller when it was designed (a question for the Logitech team)...

And what do you "everyday" users do when it comes to powering the controller?

maggior
2009-07-14, 07:14
You can have it setup where the screen goes blank after a certain amount of time if it is not active (i.e. nothing is playing). This way you can leave it on all of the time without worrying about burning out the display. As soon as you take it out of the cradle, the display will come on. If music is playing and you put it in the cradle, it will display the artwork and progress bar.

aubuti
2009-07-14, 07:19
I do the same as maggior with my 3 SBCs. One of them is set to show the Now Playing information when the connected SB is playing (while in cradle), and the other 2 are set to blank the screen 20 seconds after they go in their cradles. All are set to go blank when there is nothing playing on the SB.

tcutting
2009-07-14, 09:13
I leave mine on, and in the cradle 24/7. I have screen saver set to go black when idle in the cradle. It's always ready when I pick it up.
Also, just turned "enable suspend" off in the power settings mode - that way if I leave it out of the cradle and don't use it for several minutes, I don't have to wait for it to wake out of suspend mode.

YanniG
2009-07-14, 09:53
Other use and I explain:
I debug the system almost 95 percent of the time...
Or better I degugged the system...
Now it is off 100% of the time.

MikeekiM
2009-07-14, 12:55
Wow... Didn't realize that so many people kept their SBC on 24x7... I am going to try it out...

So a couple of questions:

(1) Cradle Setting - People have all talked about setting things up so that the SBC reacts to putting the controller into its cradle... I don't see any cradle triggered settings... Under the Screensavers, I see basically two options: "When Playing", and "When Stopped" (there are other settings for the delay, Flickr and artwork size on that same screen...but nothing on a cradle enabled trigger at all)... Where are you guys setting up the cradle triggered actions?

(2) Power Settings - A previous post talks about setting up the power suspend mode to off... I can't find this option anywhere... Where do you find this option?

maggior
2009-07-14, 13:23
When in the cradle and the SB it is connected to is playing, the SBC will have the display on. This is not something you have to configure. The "when playing" and "when stopped" - configure those as you see fit.

I don't have my SBC in front of me, but I recall there being an "advanced" menu selection in settings. Under there I think there is something called "power settings". It may be in there.

paulster
2009-07-14, 14:16
(2) Power Settings - A previous post talks about setting up the power suspend mode to off... I can't find this option anywhere... Where do you find this option?

Settings -> Advanced -> Factory Test (obvious?!) -> Power management -> Suspend Enabled

aubuti
2009-07-14, 14:52
(1) Cradle Setting - People have all talked about setting things up so that the SBC reacts to putting the controller into its cradle... I don't see any cradle triggered settings... Under the Screensavers, I see basically two options: "When Playing", and "When Stopped" (there are other settings for the delay, Flickr and artwork size on that same screen...but nothing on a cradle enabled trigger at all)... Where are you guys setting up the cradle triggered actions?
I don't have SBC in front of me, but I think if you back up one level from the Screensavers settings there is a setting for "Screen Dimming". On that screen you can choose the amount of time delay before dimming the screen and _separately_ choose whether or not to dim the screen when charging (ie, in the cradle).

MikeekiM
2009-07-14, 16:43
Thanks for the tips...

Boy, these options sure are buried in unlikely places... Not very intuitive at all! :)

I really like the idea of keeping my SBC on all the time, and ready for immediate use...

Mnyb
2009-07-14, 22:02
I was using it as a fancy clock in it's cradle before I learned of the screen burn/dimming issue (verified by another forum member as an actual fact, he managed to sample more than one SBC in this regard ).

So I use it 24/7.

But I have now replaced the battery for the first time ( duet shipped 04/15/2008 ) , apparently you can count on as little as 15 months of use of the battery in this scenario. ( a whooping 37,43 Euro for a cellphone battery including shipping and vat aargh :/ )

So anyone not having it on 24/7 , does the battery last longer ?
NB also not having it in the cradle when off, a cradled controller charges even when it's off I think ?

MikeekiM
2009-07-14, 23:05
How much is the replacement battery (and where is the link to the purchase page for the battery?).

Mnyb
2009-07-14, 23:20
How much is the replacement battery (and where is the link to the purchase page for the battery?).

Depending on where you live 37.43 euro for me in Sweden (vat and shipment included), this can be found via the spare part shop in the various logitech sites.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/349/4873&cl=se,sv&pcid=4872

You have to look at the "harmony" page for the spare part shop as there is no direct link from the squeezebox page's ? so it's really hidden away for some reason. Harmony 1000/1100 use the same battery.

here is the uk page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/349/4873&cl=gb,en&pcid=4872

El_Thicko
2009-07-15, 02:58
28 quid for a measly little battery? That's shocking!

OppfinnarJocke
2009-07-15, 05:15
Two (well maybe three) things have fixed many of my SBC connectivity problems.

1. Static IP address (no more DHCP'ing)
2. Keep it on 24x7 sitting in the dock most of the time.

The (possible) third thing being FW upgrade to 7.3r6036.

aubuti
2009-07-15, 06:49
Boy, these options sure are buried in unlikely places... Not very intuitive at all! :)
Well, 1 out of 2.

Settings > Advanced > Factory Test > Power management > Suspend Enabled
is indeed obscure, but what's wrong with
Settings > Screen > Screen Dimming ? :)

MikeekiM
2009-07-15, 07:53
28 quid for a measly little battery? That's shocking!

Unless I am not looking in the right places, I can't find a Logitech online store from their U.S. home page... And when I google for it, I have a hard time finding much out there...

Here's one that I found for $35...

http://www.batteryupgrade.com/shopBrowser.php?assortmentProductId=75771231&shopGroupId=40069696&tracker=googleProducts_us#/assortmentProductId/75771231/shopGroupId/40069696

I did find one on eBay for $10...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-for-Logitech-Harmony-1000-1100-1100i-1300mAh_W0QQitemZ370225476926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563328753e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|293%3A1| 294%3A50

aubuti
2009-07-15, 08:10
Unless I am not looking in the right places, I can't find a Logitech online store from their U.S. home page... And when I google for it, I have a hard time finding much out there...

It *is* hard to find. I got there via:

www.logitech.com > Remotes (top menu bar) > Universal Remotes > Get Support (upper right of page) > (in the name drop down menus choose "Universal Remotes" and "Harmony 1000 Advanced Universal Remote" > Parts > Eureka!

Here's the link:
http://www.buylogitech.com/store/logius/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryid.11201700?WT.ac=sc|downloads||dd&resid=5gnsKwoBAkcAACOsCusAAAAI&rests=1247670383292

Dogberry2
2009-07-15, 12:40
My Controller is on all the time, and lives in its cradle when not in use. Like Mnyb, I used to have it set to display the clock when no music was playing, but after noticing that the screen didn't seem as bright as it originally had (after about 10 months), and then seeing the threads here about it dimming with age and constant use, I now set it to go blank when nothing's happening. Battery life is (it's a year old) still okay for my use, but then again, when I put music on, I usually put on more than I expect to have time to listen to and then set the Controller aside and not fiddle with it much. The only time it's getting more-or-less constant use is when I have guests who want to play with it and see what it does, or are constantly looking to see who's playing a particular song; in those cases, it lasts for several hours at least. I've never yet seen it run down enough to power itself off.

ajkidle
2009-07-15, 18:22
I leave my SBC on 24x7 in the cradle displaying the clock screen saver. Can't say for sure that this is the cause, but the battery is totally shot (unit is about 15 months old.) I've actually had the controller power down before I was able to pick what I wanted to listen to, < 5 minutes.

Instead of buying a new ($35?!) battery, I bought an iPhone and iPeng. Works great.

MikeekiM
2009-07-15, 18:35
While $35 for a battery does seem high, it seems a small price to pay to keep me going for another 12-18 months if I had to do it...

Heck, I paid $400 for my Duet... and I can't imagine letting a $35 annual expense keep me from ensuring that I can keep enjoying it...

That said, I agree with everyone here that $35 for a friggin' battery does seem out of reason...

maggior
2009-07-15, 18:46
At least the battery is user replaceable, unlike things like the iPod.

MikeekiM
2009-07-15, 21:01
Great tip on changing that suspend delay and toggle... The default 10 second delay is extremely short...and in fact, even the 600 second (10 minute) setting seems too short... I have set it for 3600 (1 hour), which seems much more reasonable...

Waiting for the controller to come out of suspend is a little longer than I like (perhaps I am just too impatient)...

I'll see how this setting works for a while...

Per a previous poster, I actually turned it off, and that worked phenomenally well... Nothing like picking up and having immediate access... But I wonder if there are any power/battery implications to having it never go into suspend mode...

Again, I am going to monitor and see how it goes... I may just turn suspend off again, as it did yield the best user experience...

What does the 10 second sleep delay option do?

callesoroe
2009-07-16, 04:54
Settings -> Advanced -> Factory Test (obvious?!) -> Power management -> Suspend Enabled

These settings makes my controller stable as a rock now. No more reconnect to the network. YES ALWAYS ON!!!! and screensaving still works after 1 minute. Absolute super :)

With supspend disabled of course