PDA

View Full Version : How do I stream WAV (pcm) from FLAC files?

milosz
2009-07-13, 15:35
My music collection is stored as FLAC files.

I understand that my SB3 and SB2 can play these streaming FLAC files.

How do I set up the Squeezecenter server so that it streams in WAV format to the clients instead of FLAC? Is there a setting under Advanced....File Types for this?

Am I correct in assuming that "WAV format" is another name for 44.1 khz / 16 bit stereo linear PCM in this instance?

Someone suggested I try having the FLAC transcoded to WAV on the Squeezecenter server PC and stream in WAV format, that the SB client would have less work to do and the result might be better sound (from lower jitter?)

I am skeptical that it will sound different, but I am willing to try it to see if I can hear any difference. I have pretty good audio gear (Quad electrostatic speakers, clas-A amplifier, etc) and it is possibile that if there's a difference in sound I might be able to hear it.

andyg
2009-07-13, 15:56
Please ignore stupid myths such as this one. If you want, you can rationalize FLAC to yourself in exactly the same way: the ethernet/wifi will have half as much work to do.

To get FLAC->WAV, disable native FLAC and FLAC->MP3.

SuperQ
2009-07-13, 17:01
That's pretty much a myth with the squeezebox. The squeezebox has to decode both FLAC and WAV anyway so it won't make a difference.

JJZolx
2009-07-13, 21:40
Go to Settings > Advanced > File Types and in the FLAC section, under Stream Format FLAC where it says 'Native', change it to 'Disabled'. Leave the other two settings as they are and FLAC files will be transcoded at the server and streamed as WAV/PCM.

milosz
2009-07-13, 23:08
"Go to Settings > Advanced > File Types and in the FLAC section, under Stream Format FLAC where it says 'Native', change it to 'Disabled'. Leave the other two settings as they are and FLAC files will be transcoded at the server and streamed as WAV/PCM."

OK, that's what it looked like to me, I wasn't sure if I understood it correctly.

milosz
2009-07-13, 23:10
FLAC or WAV - it sounds the same as far as I can tell. WAV increases traffic, of course, on the LAN. That's the only difference I can find- no audible differences but a heavier load on the LAN.

Thanks. I'll switch it back to FLAC now.