PDA

View Full Version : How files get added to the SC database

vagskal
2009-07-10, 00:51
After changing the music folder in SC from an unc path to a local path, and doing a wipe and rescan, something strange happened.

My set up on Win XP, with SC v. 7.3.4 r 27392, now:
Music folder set in SC: I:\MP3\Min musik
In that folder there is a shortcut pointing to: H:\Mina CD (Flac)

Also before the wipe and rescan the music files imported into SC were in those two folders, but they were referenced through unc paths ("\\Musikmaskinen\Elements (I)\MP3\Min musik" and "\\Musikmaskinen\Musik (H)\ Mina CD (Flac)").

I have checked those two folders and they do not contain any other shortcut.

The files in the two folders show up OK in SC, but in addition to that one album on a third disc \\MUSIKMASKINEN\Media (D)\Flac\Artister\Muriel Zoe\Neon Blue (2005)\ (notice the unc path) showed up in SC. After an automatic scan for new and changed music last night yet another album on that disc showed up in the SC database (\\MUSIKMASKINEN\Media (D)\Flac\Artister\Aretha Franklin\Aretha Sings the Blues (1980)\). The disc in question (D:\) is also a local disc. - The same albums are also on the disc H:\Mina CD (Flac), which is scanned by SC, so now I have in SC all songs twice on those two albums.

How can this happen?

I have not listened to the songs on those albums after a wipe and rescan, i.e. they could not have been pushed into SC by another application, like muso. And I have not browsed the Music folder in SC at all after the wipe and rescan, i.e. the files could not have been added through browsing.

I know of no other way to enter files into the SC database. Am I missing something?

(I posted this question earlier in the thread "18 hrs for wipe & rescan - Normal?" [http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65243&page=3] although it was a bit off topic, but got no replies, so I thought I would try to pose the question again in a thread of its own.)

funkstar
2009-07-10, 01:36
What about playlists? Are there any that point to those locations?

vagskal
2009-07-10, 02:08
What about playlists? Are there any that point to those locations?

Aha, clever! Thanks!

I do not use saved playlists so I did not consider that at first. But when I looked in the playlist folder there were in fact a couple of playlists saved automatically it seems by Moose when I last used that application several months ago (when my music folder did point to that third disc)...

Thanks again, mystery solved.

Do you by any chance know of a way to delete, or suppress, those extra files from the SC database without having to do a wipe and rescan (which, for me, takes a very looong time)?

funkstar
2009-07-10, 03:29
Unfortunitely not.

you could try a "look for new mosic scan" I'm not sure if it will remove references to them or not. Worth a try though, it is going to be a lot shorter than a full wipe and re-scan.

vagskal
2009-07-10, 03:37
you could try a "look for new mosic scan" I'm not sure if it will remove references to them or not. Worth a try though, it is going to be a lot shorter than a full wipe and re-scan.

OK, thanks again. I will try that tonight.

EDIT: Nope, a mere rescan did not remove the the double entries.

funkstar
2009-07-10, 07:28
OK, thanks again. I will try that tonight.

EDIT: Nope, a mere rescan did not remove the the double entries.
oh well, worth a shot.

This has been a long standing issue, and something that the developers intend to address with the new database schema, engine and the new scanner that is being worked on.

At leats you got the root of the issue :)

Siduhe
2009-07-10, 08:11
Aha, clever! Thanks!

I do not use saved playlists so I did not consider that at first. But when I looked in the playlist folder there were in fact a couple of playlists saved automatically it seems by Moose when I last used that application several months ago (when my music folder did point to that third disc)...

Thanks again, mystery solved.

Do you by any chance know of a way to delete, or suppress, those extra files from the SC database without having to do a wipe and rescan (which, for me, takes a very looong time)?

7.4 has new functionality which will do the kind of automatic scanning import/delete that you are asking about - it's still beta software (and would require you to do a full rescan, so not suggesting you install it) but thought you might be interested to know that things are moving this way.

One other thing you could try, a playlist only scan? Might remove the entries and wouldn't take long.

vagskal
2009-07-10, 08:55
Thanks, funkstar and siduhe, for the information on the next release. I am looking forward to that release and new scanner functionality. As it is now I am experiencing extremely long scanning times for a wipe and rescan (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65243) and a scan for new or changed music, or a playlists only scan, temporarily stops playback (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10756).

I did a playlists only rescan, but that did not remove the files; I suppose that a playlists only rescan will never remove any files from the SC database.