PDA

View Full Version : Play music files from outside music library ?

b1ackmai1er
2009-07-08, 08:01
Hi,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to play music files that aren't in the library directory.

For example if I am playing music in Squeezecenter and download some nwe music to the desktop, how do I play the newly download music straight from the desktop on my Squeezebox through Squeezecenter.

I am using Ubuntu.

Thanks if you can help.

Declan Moriarty
2009-07-08, 09:47
You can do this. Make a symbolic link to the desktop in your music directory. on the comand line you can use the ln -s command:-

ln -s <desktop directory> <music directory>/desktop

Then go into squeezecenter and check if it is seeing it. Go to Music Library and select the Music Folder option. The contents of the Music Folder should be displayed. Then look for your "Desktop" symbolic link. Click this and you should see the contents of the desktop. Then verify this on your player.

b1ackmai1er
2009-07-09, 06:30
Thankyou for your assistance.

This is my permissions:

uid=1000(phillip) gid=1000(phillip) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),10 6(lpadmin),121(admin),122(sambashare),1000(phillip )

This is the music directory (/media/Elements/newmusic) I am trying to add the symbolic link in:

drwxrwxr-x 183 root plugdev 32768 2009-07-09 00:10 newmusic

This is the path of my desktop:

/home/phillip/Desktop

If I enter the command:

sudo ln -s /home/phillip/Desktop /media/Elements/newmusic/desktop

I get the error:

ln: creating symbolic link `/media/Elements/newmusic/desktop': Operation not permitted

I figure it is a permissions error but I can't see where.

Thanks

treble
2009-07-09, 07:25
It should be the other way around, destination first, then new link.
Not:
sudo ln -s /home/phillip/Desktop /media/Elements/newmusic/desktop
But:
sudo ln -s /media/Elements/newmusic/desktop /home/phillip/Desktop

Type 'man ln' to check syntax.

Declan Moriarty
2009-07-09, 10:04
Sorry about that. I have checked on my Ubuntu System on a USB drive that I use occasionally and I cannot create a symbolic link. You are using an external USB drive for you music library. I tried to make a symbolic link on to a USB stick and failed. The stick ws formatted to FAT-32. It think this may be the problem. Creating a symbolic link in the linux system works fine. Using the GUI to create it if fine. But using the GUI to move the link to the USB stick doesn't work. You might have to try a USB stick formatted to ext3 to see if that would work.

b1ackmai1er
2009-07-10, 05:15
Of course that makes sense:

Symbolic links are only going to work in a linux filesystem.

The external drive is vfat.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers.