PDA

View Full Version : time to reorganize forums

Kiwi
2009-07-06, 12:11
Another user asked the question of there why isn't there a separate Transporter subforum, http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65280, and I can see there is a need for forum reorganization to enhance the value of this great forum.

At a high level I suggest this type of structure;
Category
- forum
* subforums
* subforums

My first cut....

General
- announcements
- presales
- feedback
* feature requests (direction to the bug tracking/feature request system)
- marketplace
- system photos
- music

Support
- FAQs
- hardware
* pre SB2/3
* SB2/SB3
* Duet
* SBReceiver
* SBController
* SBBoom
* Transporter
- software
* SqueezeCenter
* UNIX/Linux
* Windows
* Apple
* NAS e.g. QNAP, Netgear, Buffalo Linkstation
* add-ins/plugins
* SqueezeNetwork

Ripping/Encoding/Transcoding/Tagging

Music Services
* Rhapsody
* Napster
* MusicIP
* Slacker
* Pandora

Other languages
- Espa˝ol
- Deutsch
- Franšais

Beta & Developer
- beta SC releases
- developers
- SqueezeOS software platform.

I am sure there are thoughts others will have though the important issue is if Logitech SMBU is willing to undertake the effort to implement a new structure as it will require active moderation to keep threads in the most appropriate place.

iPhone
2009-07-06, 14:29
Another user asked the question of there why isn't there a separate Transporter subforum, http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=65280, and I can see there is a need for forum reorganization to enhance the value of this great forum.

At a high level I suggest this type of structure;
Category
- forum
* subforums
* subforums

My first cut....

General
- announcements
- presales
- feedback
* feature requests (direction to the bug tracking/feature request system)
- marketplace
- system photos
- music

Support
- FAQs
- hardware
* pre SB2/3
* SB2/SB3
* Duet
* SBReceiver
* SBController
* SBBoom
* Transporter
- software
* SqueezeCenter
* UNIX/Linux
* Windows
* Apple
* NAS e.g. QNAP, Netgear, Buffalo Linkstation
* add-ins/plugins
* SqueezeNetwork

Ripping/Encoding/Transcoding/Tagging

Music Services
* Rhapsody
* Napster
* MusicIP
* Slacker
* Pandora

Other languages
- Espa˝ol
- Deutsch
- Franšais

Beta & Developer
- beta SC releases
- developers
- SqueezeOS software platform.

I am sure there are thoughts others will have though the important issue is if Logitech SMBU is willing to undertake the effort to implement a new structure as it will require active moderation to keep threads in the most appropriate place.

I do kind of like Pat's answer to my question in the poll I started about a Transporter section. There is good sense in limiting the Forum so there is not a huge drill down which I hate on some Forums. Now for the but:

But after looking at your example, I am more of the opinion that it doesn't need to go that far, but rather maybe re-think the organization and headers by only having to drill down one layer off the main topic. And by main topic, I mean more general topic headers being less specific instead of actual product names (Linux, Boom, SC).

General - Kitchen Sink
Software - SC/SN/Linux/Windows/Apple/ ...
Hardware - Sections for Old hardware, then one for each current player
Beta - Software/Hardware/Development
3rd Party - DIY/Mods/Music/Hardware/Plugins/Music Services/ ....
Languages - Espa˝ol/Deutsch/Franšais

Now you're basically down to 6 main sections. Then select from the specific sub topic under that, as an example:

Hardware:
- Legacy Players
- Transporter
- SB3 (Classic)
- Duet (SBR & SBC)
- Boom
if new hardware comes out add it and as a player is no longer in production/being sold move it to Legacy Players. Example: add SB4 move SB3 to Legacy.

Just some things to think about, or maybe even just the Engineer in me wanting order when I see separate main section for Boom and Duet without a Transporter while thinking they should be under either Hardware or Products.

Kiwi
2009-07-07, 13:39
Unfortunately the formatting limitations of this forum didn't allow me to accurately represent what I was suggesting.

Take a look at the Netgear Readynas forum http://www.readynas.com/forum/index.php to get the gist of what I was suggesting, which is basically the same as your suggestion.

funkstar
2009-07-08, 08:13
I don't have much of an opinion of re-organising the forums (I use New Posts almost exclusively).

But I do sometimes think we need a more defined Administrator/moderator list, and some way to tell for sure who those poeple are. it doesn't feel like the forums are 'managed' with a great deal of thought, just something that one of the Logitech guys has to do along with a multitude of other stuff.

I would like to see some mods applied to the standard vB install and some consistency to the options for the different sub board (for example, below this reply there are no smilies, below the last reply I made there was). As the forums have grown, no-one has check to make sure options are the same between the new aditions and existing boards.

iPhone
2009-07-08, 13:37
I don't have much of an opinion of re-organising the forums (I use New Posts almost exclusively).

But I do sometimes think we need a more defined Administrator/moderator list, and some way to tell for sure who those poeple are. it doesn't feel like the forums are 'managed' with a great deal of thought, just something that one of the Logitech guys has to do along with a multitude of other stuff.

I would like to see some mods applied to the standard vB install and some consistency to the options for the different sub board (for example, below this reply there are no smilies, below the last reply I made there was). As the forums have grown, no-one has check to make sure options are the same between the new aditions and existing boards.

WHAT? Go to the main page, scroll down, click on View Forum Leaders (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showgroups.php) and then you know. Doh!

funkstar
2009-07-09, 00:22
WHAT? Go to the main page, scroll down, click on View Forum Leaders (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showgroups.php) and then you know. Doh!
Well you learn something new every day :D

Other forums are a lot clearer on this. See the "What the user colours mean" section of Hexus as an example.
http://forums.hexus.net/welcome-hexus/144523-post-count-other-rewards.html

Other things could also be implimented, "thanks" buttons for example as well as quick post boxes at the bottom of threads.