PDA

View Full Version : Let's Duet

kempjef
2009-07-06, 09:31
I bought a Squeezebox Duet about 2 months ago. Ripped my 500 CDs to MP3 320 (using Itunes for the most part), updated all firmware and software upon availability, dumped McAfee and started up AVG virus detection, dumped my Belkin router for a D-Link 628 (the Belkin had chronically dropped my network connection for no apparent reason), worked a good bit on tagging my collection w/ MP3Tag when necessary, enabled the beta option for controller headphone output (and made the SSH modifications to the LUA file so that it actually functions). I use an ethernet (rather than wireless) connect, not because I had problems w/ the wireless, but just because the ethernet wire was an easy choice in my case.

The bottom line? It's AWESOME and works nearly flawlessly. I have a U.S. Robotics Wireless Access Point going in the back room, and the controller even roams between the router and the WAP smoothly. I can grab the controller from its cradle and fall asleep in bed w/ headphones on, listening to anything from BBC to my Dave Matthews CDs to XM Online (which also works fine as a plug-in). Album Art is a challenge at times, especially when switching between Players (it's beta!), but that's a tiny problem I can live with.

Audio quality is amazing. My 500 CDs are now in two small Caselogic folders in a shelf on the hall, instead of being spread all over the house. When pressed, I'll even switch the music source to my teenagers' Itunes collection upstairs (for as long as I can stand hearing Black Eyed Peas).

Admittedly, I'm a computer programmer by profession and don't mind being an early-adopter. But the fun level has been huge. I've re-discovered my music collection (I actually like Dido, a CD I had ignored for years!). And it's a great conversation piece when friends visit.

I'm sure there's more -- but I just wanted to say that it's a great product when applied with care!

morris_minor
2009-07-06, 09:49
Welcome to the wonderful world of Squeezebox!

MeSue
2009-07-06, 10:14
Welcome! Now you can sign up for Last.fm, start tracking your listening, and discover even more music you didn't know you liked!

method man
2009-07-06, 11:16
I bought a Squeezebox Duet about 2 months ago. Ripped my 500 CDs to MP3 320 (using Itunes for the most part), updated all firmware and software upon availability, dumped McAfee and started up AVG virus detection, dumped my Belkin router for a D-Link 628 (the Belkin had chronically dropped my network connection for no apparent reason), worked a good bit on tagging my collection w/ MP3Tag when necessary, enabled the beta option for controller headphone output (and made the SSH modifications to the LUA file so that it actually functions). I use an ethernet (rather than wireless) connect, not because I had problems w/ the wireless, but just because the ethernet wire was an easy choice in my case.

The bottom line? It's AWESOME and works nearly flawlessly. I have a U.S. Robotics Wireless Access Point going in the back room, and the controller even roams between the router and the WAP smoothly. I can grab the controller from its cradle and fall asleep in bed w/ headphones on, listening to anything from BBC to my Dave Matthews CDs to XM Online (which also works fine as a plug-in). Album Art is a challenge at times, especially when switching between Players (it's beta!), but that's a tiny problem I can live with.

Audio quality is amazing. My 500 CDs are now in two small Caselogic folders in a shelf on the hall, instead of being spread all over the house. When pressed, I'll even switch the music source to my teenagers' Itunes collection upstairs (for as long as I can stand hearing Black Eyed Peas).

Admittedly, I'm a computer programmer by profession and don't mind being an early-adopter. But the fun level has been huge. I've re-discovered my music collection (I actually like Dido, a CD I had ignored for years!). And it's a great conversation piece when friends visit.

I'm sure there's more -- but I just wanted to say that it's a great product when applied with care!

hi mate. how and where does one do this? ''(and made the SSH modifications to the LUA file so that it actually functions)''

and when u say you have used ethernet instead of wirelss. ive noticed quite a few people say this. and im a bit confused. does this mean u have a wire between the computer and your receiver?

kempjef
2009-07-06, 11:30
hi mate. how and where does one do this? ''(and made the SSH modifications to the LUA file so that it actually functions)''

and when u say you have used ethernet instead of wirelss. ive noticed quite a few people say this. and im a bit confused. does this mean u have a wire between the computer and your receiver?

For #1, I refer you to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=58721&highlight=ssh+putty. Follow instructions carefully, and note that if you screw up (I did, first time), the controller can be reset.

For #2: In the initial setup of the Squeezebox Receiver, you are asked whether the receiver connection is Wireless or Ethernet. The way to get the question 're-asked' is to hold the transmit button (the big one on the receiver) down until it blinks red. This is a reset that will start the setup (from the controller) over.

kempjef
2009-07-06, 12:22
For #1, I refer you to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=58721&highlight=ssh+putty. Follow instructions carefully, and note that if you screw up (I did, first time), the controller can be reset.

For #2: In the initial setup of the Squeezebox Receiver, you are asked whether the receiver connection is Wireless or Ethernet. The way to get the question 're-asked' is to hold the transmit button (the big one on the receiver) down until it blinks red. This is a reset that will start the setup (from the controller) over.

Oh...and to answer question 2 more accurately: YES, that means there is an ethernet (wired, cat5) connection between the Squeezebox Receiver and the network router.

method man
2009-07-06, 14:11
hi. this is the bit i dont get from your link ( i had read it before)
log on to the controller and go to the directory /usr/share/jive/applets/SqueezeboxJive and edit the file SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua.

is this directory on the controller? and if so waht does log on mean and how.

re the ethernet. my question is more simple. have u got a wire running form a pc/laptop to your squeezebox reciever?

kempjef
2009-07-06, 14:20
hi. this is the bit i dont get from your link ( i had read it before)
log on to the controller and go to the directory /usr/share/jive/applets/SqueezeboxJive and edit the file SqueezeboxJiveApplet.lua.

is this directory on the controller? and if so waht does log on mean and how.

re the ethernet. my question is more simple. have u got a wire running form a pc/laptop to your squeezebox reciever?

I'll leave it to someone more expert than myself to answer the 1st question definitively, but I believe the answer is yes -- you're updating your controller. What does it mean and how? I dunno, just follow the instructions.

re #2, no. Both devices are attached to a router, which is in turn attached to a cable or dsl modem, in most cases.

method man
2009-07-06, 14:29
i would love to follow them LOL. i just cant find this mythical directory and USR stuff. thanks anyway.

tcutting
2009-07-06, 14:33
method man -
Yes, to make the change on the controller audio control, you actually "log onto" the controller. This takes a couple steps - on your controller, there's a menu item somewhere (under "settings" and "advanced" as I recall... don't have a controller in front of me right now) which enables remote login. When you do this, it will tell you on the controller what the admin password is. THEN you will need an application on your PC to do a "remote login" to the controller. I believe I used the application "putty". Modifying the file to hard-switch the audio to the headphone port takes modifying a text file on the controller, using something like "vi" text editor, which is a bit cryptic for most users... I believe, however, the thread has pretty detailed instructions, and options for other text editors which could be used.
As for the networking questions - I recommend wired connections wherever possible. I believe from previous posts you indicate you have a wireless router. Most have a "lan" port (which is wired to the device which provides your internet service, such as a cable modem), and usually have multiple "ethernet ports", one of which would typically be connected to the nearby computer. If there are additional ethernet ports on this router, you should be able to connect an ethernet cable between it and your Squeezebox Receiver (if there's a way to physically run the cable, of course).

method man
2009-07-06, 14:46
thanks tcutting. im going to pass on the first paart. i may ruin what i have.
as for the wires. i cant really do that. for me the whole point of the squeezebox is to wireless stream digits to my DAC-AMP-Speakers Hi-fi. If I wanted to use a wire/cable. I would have just used itunes wired to my DAC with a cheap optical or diggy coax. So i was just trying to work out If I had it right.

so theres a lot of people on here using a wireless device wired? is it the controller that they are getting the benefit from?

tcutting
2009-07-06, 14:56
I guess I don't see these devices as strictly "wireless" (except the controller). In fact, my first squeezebox is an older "wired-only" version. Streaming real-time files requires more robust networking than typical "computer" networking... if you're downloading a file, printing, surfing the 'net, then network problems may show up as things "taking longer", but things usually still "work". With streaming audio, however, if there are newtork issues which periodically slow things down, the player doesn't get the data fast enough, and has to somehow stop and wait for enough of the song to load before it can resume playing.
I agree, often it's very difficult to wire connections between locations, and that's why wireless is so popular. There are a lot of things which can cause problems with your wireless network which may not be apparent with "typical" applications. There's interference from other wireless networks nearby - there are tools available to look for this - netstumbler gets mentioned on this forum often (though I haven't used it) - to look for other nearby networks and identify things like the channel they are running on. You might try changing the channel your wireless network runs on. There are, unfortunately, many other potential sources of interference on wireless networks - some cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens are common examples.

tcutting
2009-07-06, 14:58
Another option which gets mentioned on the forum is Homeplug which uses the AC power wiring in your house to carry the ethernet - might be an option if you can't get the wireless setup to work satisfactorily.

kempjef
2009-07-06, 15:00
Well put, tcutting. Thanks. I think one reason I may have been relatively glitch-free from the beginning is that I was wired from the start. My Squeezebox receiver and home stereo both happen to be near my WAP, which, of course, has (by definition) a wired ethernet connection. So all I had to do was add a small switch at that point, and wired ethernet goodness was mine.

method man
2009-07-06, 15:09
ah i see. for me. i have a large L shape living room. the computer is a one end around the corner of the L and the hi-fi is more on display at the other end in a bay window. The whole point was wireless for me. but with an external dac/optical output and CS quality for Lossless files. so far so good.

I just need recommendations on upgrading my very old modem/wireless router? any ideas what works well with all the squeeze stuff. as im also thinking of getting a Boom. and that wont be in the same room.

paul

kempjef
2009-07-06, 15:14
ah i see. for me. i have a large L shape living room. the computer is a one end around the corner of the L and the hi-fi is more on display at the other end in a bay window. The whole point was wireless for me. but with an external dac/optical output and CS quality for Lossless files. so far so good.

I just need recommendations on upgrading my very old modem/wireless router? any ideas what works well with all the squeeze stuff. as im also thinking of getting a Boom. and that wont be in the same room.

paul

re the router: Others may--will--disagree, but I went with a DLink DIR-628 (about $70 US). It's been flawless.