PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions



Ryan
2004-06-08, 08:59
Hello everyone!



After searching through the archives and not getting any responses from
slimdevices sales team, I've turned here for answers. Sorry if any of my
questions have been answered before!



I am interested to know if my proposed configuration would work.



I would like to have 5 boxes, each in different rooms of the house.



I would like to be able to control what is playing (play, stop, next,
previous, etc) FROM each room (via a remote control). Is this the case?



Speaking of remote controls. I figure there are some techno-geeks reading
this. I'm looking for a pda/phone with consumer IR. (remote control
capabilities) Does anyone know of one? I would love to be able to walk
around the house and control the squeezeboxes from my phone.



Can I turn off a specific room FROM that room? For example if I am in the
kitchen and want the music to play everywhere BUT the kitchen, is there a
way to 'mute' the kitchen using the device or remote, or would I have to use
the stereo in the kitchen to do it? Would it mute ALL of the squeezeboxes
or just the one?



I will be running an 802.11g network. The boxes will 20-100 feet from the
main 802.11g router. Will I need to have extra access points in order to
achieve maximum performance? (I don't want ANY drop in quality, and I'm
willing to spend the money to prevent it)



Lastly- is it possible to have all 5 boxes playing the same thing, and then
change 3 of them to play something else? (I assume I would need a second PC
running slimserver). In other words, can a squeezebox be configured to be
controlled by more than one slimserver, and just change from one to the
other somehow?



Thanks for any answers!

Jason Holtzapple
2004-06-08, 09:52
Ryan wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
>
>
> After searching through the archives and not getting any responses from
> slimdevices sales team, I’ve turned here for answers. Sorry if any of
> my questions have been answered before!
>
>
>
> I am interested to know if my proposed configuration would work.
>
>
>
> I would like to have 5 boxes, each in different rooms of the house.
>
>
>
> I would like to be able to control what is playing (play, stop, next,
> previous, etc) FROM each room (via a remote control). Is this the case?

yes.

> Speaking of remote controls… I figure there are some techno-geeks
> reading this… I’m looking for a pda/phone with consumer IR. (remote
> control capabilities) Does anyone know of one? I would love to be able
> to walk around the house and control the squeezeboxes from my phone.

I can't help with this question.

> Can I turn off a specific room FROM that room? For example if I am in
> the kitchen and want the music to play everywhere BUT the kitchen, is
> there a way to ‘mute’ the kitchen using the device or remote, or would I
> have to use the stereo in the kitchen to do it? Would it mute ALL of
> the squeezeboxes or just the one?

There is no mute, but you could lower the volume of the kitchen player.
Whether this lowers the volume of all sync'd players is a configurable
option.

> I will be running an 802.11g network. The boxes will 20-100 feet from
> the main 802.11g router. Will I need to have extra access points in
> order to achieve maximum performance? (I don’t want ANY drop in quality,
> and I’m willing to spend the money to prevent it)

This is pretty hard to predict since wireless quality is so variable.
If you are going wireless and plan on using uncompressed audio, I
would consider buying wired squeezeboxes and separate 802.11g bridges.
Streaming mp3 only to 5 players should be fine on a slower 802.11b
network. If you want maximum performance - use wires!

> Lastly- is it possible to have all 5 boxes playing the same thing, and
> then change 3 of them to play something else? (I assume I would need a
> second PC running slimserver). In other words, can a squeezebox be
> configured to be controlled by more than one slimserver, and just change
> from one to the other somehow?

The squeezeboxes can all play independently or sync'd or any combination
thereof. You only need one PC running the server software. Synchronization
can be changed from the player itself or the web interface.

> Thanks for any answers!

hope this helps!

--Jason

Ron Thigpen
2004-06-08, 11:09
Ryan wrote:

> Speaking of remote controls… I figure there are some techno-geeks
> reading this… I’m looking for a pda/phone with consumer IR. (remote
> control capabilities) Does anyone know of one? I would love to be able
> to walk around the house and control the squeezeboxes from my phone.

Many PDAs, including the Palms, have IR. You'd need software to control
it and give you a UI. But, are you sure you want IR?

For a richer interface you might look for a device with built-in WiFi
and some sort of browser. Then you would have full control of all the
SB from any point, rather than just the one you are in the room with.
If you want to test before buying, download the SlimServer and configure
it for remote web access. Once this is working, just ask to demo the
device and hit your SlimServer instance from the device using the
HandHeld skin.

--rt

Adam Spiers
2004-06-10, 03:05
Ryan (ryan (AT) questionthegasprice (DOT) com) wrote:
> Speaking of remote controls. I figure there are some techno-geeks reading
> this. I'm looking for a pda/phone with consumer IR. (remote control
> capabilities) Does anyone know of one? I would love to be able to walk
> around the house and control the squeezeboxes from my phone.

Bluetooth is probably a better solution:

http://www.mrtickle.org/bemusedbridge.html