PDA

View Full Version : Hidden forum for new products, or just odd behavior?

Goodsounds
2009-07-03, 10:22
I noticed something odd on the "Who's Online" page.

The usual display opposite the names will be something like "Viewing Thread - Need Help with Installation" or "Viewing Forum - General Discussion". But sometimes it will just say "Viewing Thread" or "Viewing Forum" with no further info. When I've seen this phenomenon, it has typically been for entries of long-time and active users (you know the ones I mean) and company employees.

I could imagine this might be the case if someone had signed in to the forum system, but was viewing a forum that was blocked to the general audience. Like, a forum for beta testers.

Or, maybe there's a way to block the display. Or, maybe it's a bug. Or, maybe I'm just imagining this.

SuperQ
2009-07-03, 11:21
Hah, yea, it could be a private beta testing forum. I had one on another board that was private. Everyone on the board could see it, except anonymous users and one guy. They used it to plan a party for him.

Phil Leigh
2009-07-03, 12:06
They're are browsing the hidden "Firmware 15 / WAV file" Fanboy forum.

funkstar
2009-07-05, 03:25
They're are browsing the hidden "Firmware 15 / WAV file" Fanboy forum.
rofles

Most forums I'm on have private or semi private areas. "Smoking rooms" if you like, where regulars or long term members can hang out. There are also usually moderator/admin forums where they can discuss whats going on in the forums. I think they often have a "Room 101" as well for somewhere to move spam or 'bad' threads, which is a better policy than just deleting them completely.

pippin
2009-07-05, 04:10
They are in the secret Transporter forum.

Philip Meyer
2009-07-05, 04:51
>They are in the secret Transporter forum.
Boldly going where no man has gone before.

Peter314
2009-07-05, 05:22
>They are in the secret Transporter forum.
Boldly going where no man has gone before.

Let's hope none of them is wearing a red shirt or they may meet a grisly end.

matthew_k
2009-07-06, 22:39
I had one on another board that was private. Everyone on the board could see it, except anonymous users and one guy. They used it to plan a party for him.
That sounds awfully familiar. I wrote a very satisfied review of my squeezebox boom on that other board, in fact. Nice forum you've got over here, I'm happy to say the boom is my second favorite mp3 playing appliance.

SilverRS8
2009-07-06, 22:52
That sounds awfully familiar. I wrote a very satisfied review of my squeezebox boom on that other board, in fact. Nice forum you've got over here, I'm happy to say the boom is my second favorite mp3 playing appliance.

I suppose someone is to ask what your favorite then? But I won't ask it :-)

andynormancx
2009-07-06, 23:16
I suppose someone is to ask what your favorite then? But I won't ask it :-)

I think you'll find it is an empeg.

TiredLegs
2009-07-08, 14:59
Let's hope none of them is wearing a red shirt or they may meet a grisly end.
As in: "Hey, you, guy in the red shirt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(character)), go over there behind that giant fake rock where the aliens can zap you and the rest of us won't see how it happened..."

iPhone
2009-07-08, 16:56
I noticed something odd on the "Who's Online" page.

The usual display opposite the names will be something like "Viewing Thread - Need Help with Installation" or "Viewing Forum - General Discussion". But sometimes it will just say "Viewing Thread" or "Viewing Forum" with no further info. When I've seen this phenomenon, it has typically been for entries of long-time and active users (you know the ones I mean) and company employees.

I could imagine this might be the case if someone had signed in to the forum system, but was viewing a forum that was blocked to the general audience. Like, a forum for beta testers.

Or, maybe there's a way to block the display. Or, maybe it's a bug. Or, maybe I'm just imagining this.

Well I'll play and take a SWAG at it. It probably means just what it says. IE they are at the top of the Forum and haven't picked where they want to go yet so the Forum can't tag them yet. Or they were in the Forum and walked away and have timed out but the web browser is still open but since they are not active, the Forum can't again tell what section they are in.

Or they are employees, and the employees "Do" have a private discussion area (complete speculation on my part as I have no idea, just saying could be) for company business. Or they are admin/moderators and they are moderating.

Or maybe it is odd behavior or the Forum just hasn't updated at that moment you looked to drill down to "exactly" where they are at that exact moment so it puts in a wildcard because the Forum knows that nothing just will not do.

The guy that wrote the Forum software probably couldn't answer this question, but again that's guessing also.

Or as Pippin said they are in the passworded secret Transporter or Sean Adams forum sections!

SuperQ
2009-07-08, 17:50

Hrm, maybe I shouldn't have said I. I don't personally own the empegbbs, but I used to frequent it often. Sadly, there isn't much left for me on the empeg board (besides the nice people).

I still have my mk2 in my car and it will probably get retired with that car.

Goodsounds
2009-07-08, 19:20
Well I'll play and take a SWAG at it. It probably means just what it says. IE they are at the top of the Forum and haven't picked where they want to go yet so the Forum can't tag them yet.
That's when it says "Viewing Index", not "Viewing Forum"

Or they were in the Forum and walked away and have timed out but the web browser is still open but since they are not active, the Forum can't again tell what section they are in.
Maybe. But the time it struck me because there were so many, it was "all the usual suspects", as Captain Renault would say. And just them, not others.

Or they are employees, and the employees "Do" have a private discussion area (complete speculation on my part as I have no idea, just saying could be) for company business. Or they are admin/moderators and they are moderating.
Maybe. I've seen employees at times with a "normal" display, and times with the puzzling one.

I think I'll stick with my original speculation. Unless what it is is that they're talking about you and me behind our backs, and don't want us to know. ;-)

MeSue
2009-07-08, 20:23
I wonder what it says you're looking at if you have 5 browser tabs all open to a different forum page. Hmmm.... just tested and it appears to only know about the most recently loaded page.

iPhone
2009-07-08, 20:46
I wonder what it says you're looking at if you have 5 browser tabs all open to a different forum page. Hmmm.... just tested and it appears to only know about the most recently loaded page.

Good point Sue. I usually have at least 2 if not 3 Forum tabs open at one time.

iPhone
2009-07-08, 21:01
Maybe. I've seen employees at times with a "normal" display, and times with the puzzling one.

I think I'll stick with my original speculation. Unless what it is is that they're talking about you and me behind our backs, and don't want us to know. ;-)

I'm not that 'Paranoid' at least not yet. ;=} Now what are you guys typing about me while I type this post? Guess I need to open another Tab and hit New Posts real quick!

I can say one thing from personal experience in communicating with employees and how I have been treated on the Forum, and that that is fair and with respect going both directions. Can't put a finger on it and don't really care to (is it the small company or that they work in an open source environment which fosters working together instead of against or in secret, probably some of both). The people are just good people and there is really no other way to say it.

And that also goes for the people on this Community Forum. Sure we disagree at times and other times completely agree, but in the end I think it comes down to the music and how a Slim Device makes that more enjoyable.

erland
2009-07-08, 22:19
I wonder what the "Use Invisible Mode" option in the profile settings which is checked in my profile option does ? Maybe that's it ?

Peter314
2009-07-09, 00:29
As in: "Hey, you, guy in the red shirt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(character)), go over there behind that giant fake rock where the aliens can zap you and the rest of us won't see how it happened..."

Spot-on,TL!

Peter314
2009-07-09, 00:32
Well I'll play and take a SWAG at it. It probably means just what it says. IE they are at the top of the Forum and haven't picked where they want to go yet so the Forum can't tag them yet. Or they were in the Forum and walked away and have timed out but the web browser is still open but since they are not active, the Forum can't again tell what section they are in.

You haven't got the hang of this 'Internet Conspiracy Theory' thing, have you?

:)