PDA

View Full Version : My first impressions



Squeezemeister
2009-07-03, 04:20
I bought my Squeezebox Classic a few weeks ago, to connect to my AVI ADM9.1 active speakers. I use a Toslink cable to connect to the AVI's DAC. Overall, I'm very happy with the setup. More convenient and a better sound than my Cyrus CD, amp and ProAc speakers. I thought you might be interested in my first impressions of the Squeezebox.....

Setup proved problematic, in that my Windows Firewall wouldn't allow communication between SqueezeCenter and the player. Once I figured out that I needed to put some port exceptions into the firewall, all was OK pretty much straight away.

My player ran flawlessly under release 7.3.2, using a wireless connection. Buffer was full nearly all the time, connection was pretty constant even with the signal strength shifting. I am in a three storey house, with the router on the top floor and the player in the bottom storey. Upgrading to 7.3.3 produced issues immediately around dropped connections and rebuffering. They improved when I picked up on this forum how to clear my cache and prefs folders. I also went to 7.3.4. 7.4 was too buggy for me. The upgrades were accompanied by factory resets of the player.

I downloaded some freeware that allows me to see competing wireless networks in my vicinity, which confirmed that I don't have too much in the way of interference. I have no idea why my player started acting up after the "upgrade". I have purchased a couple of HomePlugs, and the player is performing flawlessly again. I may return to wireless in the future if the reports of the upgrades are OK, as it would be my preferred method of connecting the player.

I would recommend this player to anyone who is IT literate, and doesn't mind fiddling to get the thing up and running properly. I'd be wary of recommending to a non-IT literate person - I can imagine the SB getting frustrating pretty quickly. But overall, I love it.

mherger
2009-07-03, 04:52
> Setup proved problematic, in that my Windows Firewall wouldn't allow
> communication between SqueezeCenter and the player.

Are you using some 3rd party product? The default Windows Firewall should
be configured during installation.

--

Michael

Squeezemeister
2009-07-03, 05:07
I was using Norton, but have reverted back to Windows.

dsdreamer
2009-07-03, 05:38
I'd be interested to hear about the results. You probably just want to enjoy your fully working SB music system for a while, though.

If you do hear dropouts again for any reason, it might be enlightening to do a network bandwidth test from the SB3 extras menu.

A bit out of date, but this gives more details.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Diagnosing_Performance_Issues#Network_Performance

Squeezemeister
2009-07-03, 06:09
I used the network test facility both on the player and in SqueezeCenter. I run FLAC files only. I ran the tests at 2000kbps. Despite a lot of fluctuation, the player is generally prety good on wireless with very few drop outs, but I want "perfect" hence the wired connection for now. I really don't have the inclination to try and see if there is a cause of external interference as any rebuffering issues are very irregular. My router is a Belkin N1 Vision wireless router jobby. Signal strength, regardless of positioning, or antenna changes runs at between 83% and 50% at any given time. The negative changes at the player coincided with the "upgrade" to 7.3.3 and 7.4 didn't improve things. I tried 7.3.4 and things were Ok, however, this also coincided with me finding out about clearing the cache/perfs folder. Nonetheless, 7.3.4 rebuffers where 7.3.2 didn't.....

dsdreamer
2009-07-03, 19:21
I used the network test facility both on the player and in SqueezeCenter. I run FLAC files only. I ran the tests at 2000kbps. Despite a lot of fluctuation, the player is generally prety good on wireless with very few drop outs, but I want "perfect" hence the wired connection for now. I really don't have the inclination to try and see if there is a cause of external interference as any rebuffering issues are very irregular. My router is a Belkin N1 Vision wireless router jobby. Signal strength, regardless of positioning, or antenna changes runs at between 83% and 50% at any given time. The negative changes at the player coincided with the "upgrade" to 7.3.3 and 7.4 didn't improve things. I tried 7.3.4 and things were Ok, however, this also coincided with me finding out about clearing the cache/perfs folder. Nonetheless, 7.3.4 rebuffers where 7.3.2 didn't.....

Makes perfect sense. Enjoy.