PDA

View Full Version : MP3 server hardware



jonhd \(home\)
2004-06-07, 17:26
Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?

TA, Jon

Jack Coates
2004-06-07, 18:03
> Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
> Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
>
> TA, Jon
>

Jeffrey Gordon
2004-06-07, 18:35
Well i am not sure how the VIA 1Ghz chips compare to the Old Athlon
900mhz chips, but my Athlon 900 is my server with 512MB ram and it runs
just fine. I have about 2400 songs and it scans them in about 45-60
seconds, and handles transoding FLAC just fine.

Again not sure how the VIA chips compare.

Jack Coates wrote:

>>Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
>>Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
>>
>>TA, Jon
>>

P McDowell
2004-06-07, 18:49
Message
"jonhd (home)" <jon (AT) jhd-designs (DOT) demon.co.uk> wrote
in message news:000001c44cef$3aa19820$0202a8c0 (AT) two (DOT) ..
Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server? Anything
to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?

TA, Jon

I have an ME6000 Via Eden running Debian testing.
It runs headless 24/7 in a cupboard with ssh samba apache vnc slimserver
slimp3slave.
It is too slow to transcode on the fly, and rip/encode but I regulary run 3
players off it, squeezebox and softsqueeze and it runs slimp3slave
internally on its own audio output. The audio is supported in standard
Debian and the video works to start with on xserver-xfree86 vesa module and
you can upgrade to the via unichrome driver.
http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/
I'm happy with it, I'd like to get an MII 12000 with the cardbus onboard for
wifi

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-06-07, 19:02
On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 21:35, Jeffrey Gordon wrote:
> Well i am not sure how the VIA 1Ghz chips compare to the Old Athlon
> 900mhz chips, but my Athlon 900 is my server with 512MB ram and it runs
> just fine.

They don't. The fanless Via Mini-ITX mobos basically have the modern
incarnation of the Cyrix C-3, which was anemic even against Pentium-I
but pretty much dirt cheap. The Athlons, OTOH, compare pretty favorably
with Intels of the same general clock. XPs pretty much womp P-4 at
equal clocking, as my XP1900+ will run circles around a 2 GHz P-4, and
it officially clocks around 1.6 GHz. (of course, 1GB of RAM doesn't hurt
:)
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com

Jack Coates
2004-06-07, 19:13
It just so happens my server is an athlon 900 with 768 MB RAM and I have a
1Ghz Nehemiah as well (mentioned below).

Even my server will skip a beat when scanning the library (nearly 6000
songs).

> Well i am not sure how the VIA 1Ghz chips compare to the Old Athlon
> 900mhz chips, but my Athlon 900 is my server with 512MB ram and it runs
> just fine. I have about 2400 songs and it scans them in about 45-60
> seconds, and handles transoding FLAC just fine.
>
> Again not sure how the VIA chips compare.
>
> Jack Coates wrote:
>
>>>Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
>>>Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
>>>
>>>TA, Jon
>>>

P McDowell
2004-06-07, 19:32
"Roy M. Silvernail" <roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com> wrote in
message news:1086660164.19033.8.camel (AT) localhost (DOT) ..

>
> They don't. The fanless Via Mini-ITX mobos basically have the modern
> incarnation of the Cyrix C-3, which was anemic even against Pentium-I
> but pretty much dirt cheap. The Athlons, OTOH, compare pretty favorably
> with Intels of the same general clock. XPs pretty much womp P-4 at
> equal clocking, as my XP1900+ will run circles around a 2 GHz P-4, and
> it officially clocks around 1.6 GHz. (of course, 1GB of RAM doesn't hurt
> :)
> --
> Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and
you're not
> Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
> SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
> http://www.rant-central.com

The Via is just fine for serving and playing, that means I can turn off the
noisy Athlon box that I use to rip and encode.
Its not a CPU contest.

Jason Holtzapple
2004-06-07, 20:03
Yes, I use one with an 800 MHz VIA C3. It drives 2 slims and a
squeezebox with a 10,000 song library just fine. It's too slow
to use for transcoding to mp3, though. OS is NetBSD.

--Jason

jonhd (home) wrote:
> Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
> Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
>
> TA, Jon

mherger
2004-06-08, 00:17
> Yes, I use one with an 800 MHz VIA C3. It drives 2 slims and a
> squeezebox with a 10,000 song library just fine. It's too slow
> to use for transcoding to mp3, though. OS is NetBSD.

Almost same setup here: same cpu, 2 sqeezeboxen, 1 slimp3, slimp3slave
running locally on the machine, based on a redhat 7.3. No problem with the
cpu for simple streaming. I even run Apache, MySQL, Samba and all the
other usual suspects on it (with very little traffic, though).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
http://www.herger.net/photo - mein kleines Photoalbum

Johan Bolmsjo
2004-06-08, 01:01
tis 2004-06-08 klockan 03.03 skrev Jack Coates:
> > Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
> > Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
> >
> > TA, Jon
> >

Harald Walker
2004-06-08, 01:07
I use the VIA Epia-M10000 (with 512MB ram), which is not fanless. I
choose this one because I just wanted a bit more power. The problem is
my case, which has 2 additional and very noisy fans.

http://www.mediasculp.com/Gallery/gallery/epia-m10000

The two 80GB Seagate disks are very quiet. The server runs on Mandrake
9.2, with Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, mailserver (postfix, imap), samba/nfs
fileserver and of course the slimserver.

The speed is fine for such a home server, actually he could probably be
used as a small low price webserver.

If I invest a lot of time and some additional money I could probably get
this server quiet.

Another issue is power consumption. My server uses about 40W, which is
more than I expected since my old Pentium based server (just a normal
Compaq deskpro) also used this much/little. The server is turned off at
night and starts automatically in the morning. Power consumtion has been
the main reason for me to choose this kind of hardware.

Regards,

Harald

jonhd (home) wrote:
> Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
> Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
>
> TA, Jon

Jack Coates
2004-06-08, 07:15
> I use the VIA Epia-M10000 (with 512MB ram), which is not fanless. I
> choose this one because I just wanted a bit more power. The problem is
> my case, which has 2 additional and very noisy fans.
>
> http://www.mediasculp.com/Gallery/gallery/epia-m10000
>

Try putting one of these in:
http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=69&CATID=7

> The two 80GB Seagate disks are very quiet. The server runs on Mandrake
> 9.2, with Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, mailserver (postfix, imap), samba/nfs
> fileserver and of course the slimserver.
>
> The speed is fine for such a home server, actually he could probably be
> used as a small low price webserver.
>
> If I invest a lot of time and some additional money I could probably get
> this server quiet.
>
> Another issue is power consumption. My server uses about 40W, which is
> more than I expected since my old Pentium based server (just a normal
> Compaq deskpro) also used this much/little. The server is turned off at
> night and starts automatically in the morning. Power consumtion has been
> the main reason for me to choose this kind of hardware.
>

Those disks are chewing up a lot of power, so there's probably not much
you could do (except switching to 2.5" disks).

> Regards,
>
> Harald
>
> jonhd (home) wrote:
>> Anybody used a fanless, mini-itx motherboard type of (Slim)server?
>> Anything to relate (Sucess/Failure, OS, etc.)?
>>
>> TA, Jon
>
>

Hugh Greene
2004-06-08, 13:08
On Tuesday 08 Jun 2004 15:15, Jack Coates <"Jack Coates"
<jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org>> wrote:
> > I use the VIA Epia-M10000 (with 512MB ram), which is not fanless. I
> > choose this one because I just wanted a bit more power. The problem is
> > my case, which has 2 additional and very noisy fans.
> >
> > http://www.mediasculp.com/Gallery/gallery/epia-m10000
>
> Try putting one of these in:
> http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=69&CATID=7

Or, if you're pretty confident that it won't overheat, just cheat by rewiring
your case fans to use the 12V and 7V pins, instead of 12V and GND. That
means they'll run at 5V, which is much quieter :-) Some fans may not cope,
though, and if they're connected to motherboard fan-speed sensors, they might
start complaining that the fans have stopped.

It works for me, anyway ...

HTH,
Hugh