PDA

View Full Version : browser-based Controller options

MikeDC
2009-06-30, 20:00
I know there are options like iPeng and others for using other devices as controllers.

I'm wondering if anyone is using alternative devices like the iTouch, or Nokia N810 Internet Tablet to run SqueezeCenter (or other?) players in a browser.

Obviously you could use a PC, or one of the new mini netbooks, but I was thinking something a little smaller.

Love to know what others are doing.

davep
2009-06-30, 23:06
Well, for the Nokia tablet you could try the Nokia skin. I think it is still included in the normal installation. And there is a browser based version of iPeng for the iPhone/iTouch but frankly the dedicated app from the iTunes store runs rings around it for speed and functionality.

But of course, neither of these are players in the way that the Controller can be if that was what you were looking for.

davep

MikeDC
2009-07-01, 07:13
Well, for the Nokia tablet you could try the Nokia skin. I think it is still included in the normal installation. And there is a browser based version of iPeng for the iPhone/iTouch but frankly the dedicated app from the iTunes store runs rings around it for speed and functionality.

But of course, neither of these are players in the way that the Controller can be if that was what you were looking for.

davep

Thanks Dave, you hit the nail on the head. My opinion is that, when the Controller works, nothing beats its simple, easy to use and read, interface. But we all know too well the problems with "when" it works.

davep
2009-07-01, 15:19
Thanks Dave, you hit the nail on the head. My opinion is that, when the Controller works, nothing beats its simple, easy to use and read, interface. But we all know too well the problems with "when" it works.

Well I do read of several people who have had trouble with the Controller but, for my own experience, although I had some initial teething problems, my Controller works just as advertised and does not present me with any operational problems. My own criticism of it relates to the limitations of the interface, primarily the dependence on the scrollwheel for finding things. I get a little frustrated with the multiple overshoots when trying to select a particular artist and, for search inputs, the need for constant scrolling backwards and forwards quickly gets tiresome. Having a keyboard available when needed on the iPod alternative makes this the more used controller in my normal sessions.

davep