PDA

View Full Version : Best mobile phone for controlling SB?

PaulR
2009-06-26, 03:23
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new mobile phone. Looking through this forum it looks like Apple Iphone looks to be a favorite for controlling squeezeboxes but there does look to be apps appearing for Android and Nokia phones.

So which is the best? Obviously lots of other things to consider - price, functionality etc but from the POV of SB control is the Iphone the easy winner?

Thanks,

Paul

BTW - Is it also possible to stream from Squeezecenter to an Iphone?

shake-the-disease
2009-06-26, 03:27
Yes, the iPhone is the best choice by far.

funkstar
2009-06-26, 03:32
So which is the best? Obviously lots of other things to consider - price, functionality etc but from the POV of SB control is the Iphone the easy winner?
There is also a port of SqueezePlay (the software on the Controller) being worked on for WindowsMobile devices.

chn68b
2009-07-18, 03:01
I'm using a nokia e63, works fine accessing the handheld version of the server through wi-fi. Very quick to navigate and displays album art too.

Not sure what the benefit of the Iphone is other than touch screen?

pippin
2009-07-18, 03:20
It has native apps which makes it much faster.
Also, the touch screen IS worth a lot.

arztde
2009-07-18, 06:10
There is also a port of SqueezePlay (the software on the Controller) being worked on for WindowsMobile devices.

Keep a look to another application its Slimcontrol. And its new in the line, but i think for windows Mobile Phones somehow the best. I am in discussion with Sebastian the developer and we test it also at the moment for multi room connectivity and also over the Internet.

I did support Sebastian with a Xtreamer Multimedia Player. To keep his focus also in direction of Android. As well some other Developers from the Popcorn Hour Scene are involved to help to make a first step for play and control the Xtreamer by mobile phones.

peterw
2009-07-18, 07:41
Yes, the iPhone is the best choice by far.

For controlling, that seems to be true. But with Apple's forbidding background apps on iPhone and the combination of its conflict of interest with iTunes and iron-fisted control over what's in the App Store, it seems very unlikely that you'll be able to stream music to an iPhone. Android or Windows Mobile are much more likely to offer viable control + playback options.

pippin
2009-07-18, 08:47
For controlling, that seems to be true. But with Apple's forbidding background apps on iPhone and the combination of its conflict of interest with iTunes and iron-fisted control over what's in the App Store, it seems very unlikely that you'll be able to stream music to an iPhone. Android or Windows Mobile are much more likely to offer viable control + playback options.

That's not true. You will be. There's plenty of similar apps for streaming, the only disclaimer on Apple's side is on bandwidth limitation for cellular application.

peterw
2009-07-18, 14:31
That's not true. You will be. There's plenty of similar apps for streaming, the only disclaimer on Apple's side is on bandwidth limitation for cellular application.

After posting I realized I should have added the adverb "well" -- as in it seems unlikely that you'll be able to stream music well to an iPhone.

Do those apps play music in the background? As far as I've read, the iPhone/iPod Touch SDK still does not allow third-parties to write background apps, and that means the *best* you can hope for is the ability to listen to SqueezeCenter music while doing nothing else with the phone (as you suggested in March -- http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=407686&postcount=857). That would be truly lame, and neither Microsoft nor Google place such restrictions on their smartphone platforms.

As for the fact that there are some iPhone streaming apps now, that doesn't change the fact that Apple can, and does, deny developers the right to publish apps to the iPhone App Store when Apple deems them to compete/overlap too much with Apple's own software. And the iPhones include remote kill switch software that lets Apple shut down software that's already been downloaded from the App Store. Apple could ban iPeng and remotely disable it on all iPhones tomorrow if they wanted to. Maybe Apple allows things like the Pandora app because they share Michael Robertson's belief that Pandora poses no threat to them, that Pandora is destined to be killed off by their SoundExchange royalty obligations (http://michaelrobertson.com/).

gharris999
2009-07-18, 15:24
I've used, over the years, a Nokia 770, Nokia 810, and finally an iPhone. The Noikias + the 770 skin *worked*. The iPhone + iPeng *works well.* With all due respect to B Klass, the 770 skin author, the iPhone + iPeng wins, hands down. I'm confident that Jörg will get streaming to the iPhone happening withing the next several months.

To me, the biggest drawback of the iPhone has nothing to do with SqueezeCenter control: it's the necessity of having to jailbreak the phone in order to unlock it. I'm keeping an old unlocked Nokia phone mothballed in anticipation of my next trip to Europe. When my AT&T contract expires in a year, I'll ask AT&T to unlock my phone. We'll see how far I get with that.

PS: free to good home: 1 Nokia 770; 1 Nokia 810N. PM me.

pippin
2009-07-18, 17:32
Do those apps play music in the background? As far as I've read, the iPhone/iPod Touch SDK still does not allow third-parties to write background apps, and that means the *best* you can hope for is the ability to listen to SqueezeCenter music while doing nothing else with the phone (as you suggested in March -- http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=407686&postcount=857). That would be truly lame, and neither Microsoft nor Google place such restrictions on their smartphone platforms.

I agree that's a limitation.
However, it's my experience that this is actually not a "lame" decision but one that makes this phone work.
I have tried quite a few smartphones and coming from that business side I've looked into quite a few others. All, without exception, but the iPhone soon run into trouble as soon as you have severall apps running. They get slow, people complain all over the place about battery lifetime and you get lots of crashes.
My last one, a symbian phone, had the nice habit of rebooting right in the middle of a phone call if it considered you are in a low memory state. Sorry, these kind of "features" are not for me.

Mobile devices don't have virtual memory, and I tell you, it's just nice to be able to test an App and then know, if it works in the test environment, it will do so while being used. For exactly the reason that you have background apps you get that on no other platform. Just can't guarantee it.

I curse the fact that it doesn't have background processes quite often, but I also know it's the single most important reason why this is the first of the about 5 or 6 smartphones I've used that didn't suck.
Blackberries work fine, too, but they have similar limitations.

As for the fact that there are some iPhone streaming apps now, that doesn't change the fact that Apple can, and does, deny developers the right to publish apps to the iPhone App Store when Apple deems them to compete/overlap too much with Apple's own software. And the iPhones include remote kill switch software that lets Apple shut down software that's already been downloaded from the App Store. Apple could ban iPeng and remotely disable it on all iPhones tomorrow if they wanted to. Maybe Apple allows things like the Pandora app because they share Michael Robertson's belief that Pandora poses no threat to them, that Pandora is destined to be killed off by their SoundExchange royalty obligations (http://michaelrobertson.com/).
Well, I agree, that's the theory.
Practice is that there are even lots of Apps on the App Store that are in clear violation of Apple's guidelines and don't get pulled. Pandora's being one of them, btw.

To me, the biggest drawback of the iPhone has nothing to do with SqueezeCenter control: it's the necessity of having to jailbreak the phone in order to unlock it. I'm keeping an old unlocked Nokia phone mothballed in anticipation of my next trip to Europe. When my AT&T contract expires in a year, I'll ask AT&T to unlock my phone. We'll see how far I get with that.

On your next trip to Europe, get an factory unlocked one from Italy or France. They are free to be sold within the EU and you even get Apple's warranty for them.

gharris999
2009-07-19, 08:51
Thanks for the tip re purchasing in France or Italy. I suppose I ought to invest some $$$ now in FXE in anticipation of making this purchase a year or two down the road.

Streaming: I asked this question when the Jive was in development...and the answer still isn't intuitively obvious to me:

For a handheld device like the iThing, I assume that I won't be able to discern much of an audio difference on play-back between lossless and lossy content. I also assume that using the iThing's CoreAudio stuff to decode MP3 audio is easier to implement than a port of libflac. So, given those two assumptions, what's the trade-off for making streaming playback work on the iThing? Server-side transcoding to MP3 with iPeng connecting as http://scip:9000/stream.mp3 like any other mp3 player? Or make iPeng into some kind of a stripped-down SqueezePlay client capable of receiving a flac stream and decoding it? Which is more likely to drain the battery faster? Higher bandwith requirements for the flac stream but lower cpu utilization for decoding? (That's flac's big strength, right?) Or lower bandwidth requirements to receive the MP3 stream but higher cpu utilization to decode it?

Or am I working with faulty assumptions here?

dsdreamer
2009-07-19, 09:31
Thanks for the tip re purchasing in France or Italy. I suppose I ought to invest some $$$ now in FXE in anticipation of making this purchase a year or two down the road.

Streaming: I asked this question when the Jive was in development...and the answer still isn't intuitively obvious to me:

For a handheld device like the iThing, I assume that I won't be able to discern much of an audio difference on play-back between lossless and lossy content. I also assume that using the iThing's CoreAudio stuff to decode MP3 audio is easier to implement than a port of libflac. So, given those two assumptions, what's the trade-off for making streaming playback work on the iThing? Server-side transcoding to MP3 with iPeng connecting as http://scip:9000/stream.mp3 like any other mp3 player? Or make iPeng into some kind of a stripped-down SqueezePlay client capable of receiving a flac stream and decoding it? Which is more likely to drain the battery faster? Higher bandwith requirements for the flac stream but lower cpu utilization for decoding? (That's flac's big strength, right?) Or lower bandwidth requirements to receive the MP3 stream but higher cpu utilization to decode it?

Or am I working with faulty assumptions here?

I assume your iThing reference is properly documented below...?

http://www.bosey.co.in/2008/09/apple-launches-ithing-nobody-knows-what.html

peterw
2009-07-19, 09:38
Thanks for the tip re purchasing in France or Italy. I suppose I ought to invest some $$$ now in FXE in anticipation of making this purchase

Caveat emptor. Googling (I missed this story when it broke) suggests that Orange France's liberated phones cost about $1000 usd and only accept French SIMs.

At least T-Mobile will unlock their $200 Android phones after 90 days...

Pippin, thanks for the info & perspective. My experience with a Blackberry 4.x device suggests that background apps are viable, but you clearly do have more experience than I.

-Peter

pippin
2009-07-19, 09:48
Caveat emptor. Googling (I missed this story when it broke) suggests that Orange France's liberated phones cost about $1000 usd and only accept French SIMs.

I do have an Italian (don't know which network) iPhone 3G (not 3GS), was the top model when I bought it a year ago, sold at around 700€ (so the 1.000$ probably fit) and works with all German networks.

€700 sounds hefty but I figured the different price of T-Mobile's iPhone plan compared to the one I have is around 1.200€ (over 24 months) so it pays and I don't have to switch.

gharris999
2009-07-19, 14:46

At least T-Mobile will unlock their $200 Android phones after 90 days...

Pippin, thanks for the info & perspective. My experience with a Blackberry 4.x device suggests that background apps are viable, but you clearly do have more experience than I.

-Peter
$1K. Yikes. OK, maybe jailbreaking IS for me.

Can one purchase an Android phone already unlocked?

pippin
2009-07-19, 14:53
$1K. Yikes. OK, maybe jailbreaking IS for me.

Do you get it cheaper?
I mean, as I said, It doesn't make that much of a difference whether you pay for it in cash or through an expensive phone plan.
Do you get good tariffs for iPhone in the US?

Edit: This may also be the reason why there's so much less people having iPhones over here.

peterw
2009-07-19, 16:28

Google offers an unlocked (SIM and root/bootloader access) version of the T-Mobile G1 for $425 ($399 plus $25 to sign up as an android publisher, iirc). There are several unlocked G1s for sale on ebay and the like, but I don't know what they tend to sell for.

Locuth
2009-07-20, 09:34
I agree that's a limitation.
Mobile devices don't have virtual memory, ...

Hey pippin,
I did not know that ^^

Actually they do but it used to be limited to 32MB prior to WM6.0.
Which was perfectly fine since most devices (back than) only had about the same amount of physical memory.
Nowadays there is 4GB of virtual memory... ample for any sensible application.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa914933.aspx

Oh, and as to the original discussion:
Why not get a used WM-device and SlimControl for 1/10 of the price of an iPhone. Sorry pip:-)

egd
2009-07-20, 10:20
I've yet to see a decent mobile device powered by WM and I've tried a few. If you want to control SC via your mobile phone the only real choice is an iPhone.

Locuth
2009-07-20, 10:53
I've yet to see a decent mobile device powered by WM and I've tried a few.
You have yet to see this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64537

If you want to control SC via your mobile phone the only real choice is an iPhone.

That might be true for the SqueezeCenter HTML interface.
But people have had an altogether different experience using SlimControl.

Quotes:
>> Downloaded SlimControl last night and I'm very impressed - running on an old T-Mobile MDA with 3000+ artists and the speed is exceptional

>> Disclaimer: I've never used a PDA until I bought a used one for this application. (Toshiba e830)* :)

And a little review here
>> http://ch911.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/slimcontrol-jetzt-auch-mit-webradio/

I'm using SControl with a 7-year old PDA. A decent device ?!
Cheers

arztde
2009-07-20, 13:45
I've yet to see a decent mobile device powered by WM and I've tried a few. If you want to control SC via your mobile phone the only real choice is an iPhone.

I have a little advantage to test a early preversion of SlimControl 0.96 And this maybe is the last one, before it comes to the Version 1.0

IMHO it is ready for Version 1.0

For me it is a difference to buy a IPHONE or a WinMobile Phone. 700.- Euro just for a simple Remote control is to much for my feelings. Ok If you are in front to buy a new phone it is ok.
I own as a mobile a HTC touch diamond and Slimcontrol works perfect.
But now just to have a Remote Control additional i did bought a Win Mobile just for 27.- Euro in Ebay. It have Win Mobile 2003 on it but its easy to flash it with Win 6.0
So a relation between the to phones is 700.- Euro to 27.- Euro. I think this is an argument somehow.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300325958828

The other argument is that i hope that someone like to make a player for the new Multimediabox Xtreamer. I got a phone call from xtreamer developement that they like to support such a developement with their support. SDK Kit... Maybee someone is reading this lines. Feel free to contact me.

gharris999
2009-07-20, 15:11
For me it is a difference to buy a IPHONE or a WinMobile Phone. 700.- Euro just for a simple Remote control is to much for my feelings.
If all you want is a remote, don't buy a phone at all. Buy an iPod Touch. iPeng works perfectly on the Touch. I'm no Apple evangelist, but I've found the Touch to be a very fun device for audio books in the car, movies during air travel, and SqueezeBox controlling via iPeng.

arztde
2009-07-20, 16:19
If all you want is a remote, don't buy a phone at all. Buy an iPod Touch. iPeng works perfectly on the Touch. I'm no Apple evangelist, but I've found the Touch to be a very fun device for audio books in the car, movies during air travel, and SqueezeBox controlling via iPeng.

This all i can do with my 27.- Euro Win Mobile too. Additional i have here in Germany a UMTS Sim, what allows not to phone but have a internet access. And i did testet with remote of a early developement of slimcontrol uncompressed streaming from my home squezecenter. It works. And best i do not need iTunes.

What to say. I have not try iPeng for the moment and i realy can not compare it. iPeng was long time alone and a lot of users did bought a IPod or IPhone just for this. But Slimcontrol opens it to PDA.
I think its good enough to have a look to it. You cannot say anymore i like a control and i have no choise.

NFLnut
2009-07-20, 22:30

I will second that. I have used iPeng on my iPod Touch, and it works very well as a remote control. Now that I have had a Controller for a few months, I no longer use iPeng. But for a phone, my HTC Touch Pro WinMo works great, and I am able to multitask and play back.

The iPhone is certainly nice for what it is, and it definitely has a prolific community of app writers, but I still don't buy into the hype that "it's the greatest device ever!" Pound for pound, my WinMo smart phone can kick your puny iPhone's #*^ ! WinMo 5.x was a nightmare, but WinMo (CE) 6.x is awesome!

Now go ahead fanboys .. flame away! I am sporting my asbestos boxers! ;^D

Oh .. and iTunes is the WORST music player ever! HATE iTunes! If someone could create a slick program which easily loads/unloads music onto an iPod, I would be interested. I have tried plugins for Winamp and other workarounds, but the iPod almost needs iTunes, and for that I almost despise the iPod! Before I bought an iPod a few years back, I bought a Sony minidisc player and I thought IT had the worst music loading/offloading system, but soon found that I hated iTunes even more!

arztde
2009-07-21, 05:30
[QUOTE=NFLnut;442275]I will second that. I have used iPeng on my iPod Touch, and it works very well as a remote control. Now that I have had a Controller for a few months, I no longer use iPeng. But for a phone, my HTC Touch Pro WinMo works great, and I am able to multitask and play back.
[/QUOTE

Hi its good that you have SB Controler, iPod Touch and a HTC Touch Pro. Would you like to test SlimControl and give than some suggestions for improvement?
Because you can compare. As far as i know Sebastian he will listen carefull to your sugestions to make the new versions a little better.

Thanks in advance.

GlenL
2009-07-21, 05:48
Oh .. and iTunes is the WORST music player ever! HATE iTunes! If someone could create a slick program which easily loads/unloads music onto an iPod, I would be interested.

I believe MediaMonkey can do this.

NFLnut
2009-07-21, 14:59
[QUOTE=NFLnut;442275]I will second that. I have used iPeng on my iPod Touch, and it works very well as a remote control. Now that I have had a Controller for a few months, I no longer use iPeng. But for a phone, my HTC Touch Pro WinMo works great, and I am able to multitask and play back.
[/QUOTE

Hi its good that you have SB Controler, iPod Touch and a HTC Touch Pro. Would you like to test SlimControl and give than some suggestions for improvement?
Because you can compare. As far as i know Sebastian he will listen carefull to your sugestions to make the new versions a little better.

Thanks in advance.

I actually d/l'd SlimControl last night. Initial impression is very good!

Running it on my WinMo phone. Can I use it as a player on the phone as well?

peterw
2009-07-21, 15:55
A little OT, but when is MSFT goin to rework WinMo so it's full usable without a stylus? That's the real beauty of Android and iPhone, the finger-friendly UI. Architecturally (esp. vis-a-vis privacy -- sucks that the Android APIs rely heavily on gmail servers), I'd prefer WinMo, but I'd like to move beyond styluses. And I don't want to need a keyboard for Tab and Alt-F4. :-)

Goodsounds
2009-07-21, 17:49
A little OT, but when is MSFT goin to rework WinMo so it's full usable without a stylus? That's the real beauty of Android and iPhone, the finger-friendly UI. Architecturally (esp. vis-a-vis privacy -- sucks that the Android APIs rely heavily on gmail servers), I'd prefer WinMo, but I'd like to move beyond styluses. And I don't want to need a keyboard for Tab and Alt-F4. :-)

This might be a matter of personal preference - I hope they keep the stylus format. I have large fingers.

With limited real estate, finger-friendly screens with large "buttons" just contain too little info to suit my taste. For a touch screen, I much prefer the smaller-size display format a stylus allows. When in a hurry, I can get needed info and do most stuff (but not typing) without the stylus. But I sure like having it for more extended use.

arztde
2009-07-22, 02:36
[QUOTE=arztde;442339]

I actually d/l'd SlimControl last night. Initial impression is very good!

I know that Sebastian is working at the moment full time for the next version. He focus his developement at the moment to integrate covers. But not only for one Squeezecenter. The topic is to make it possible to run at the same time different Squeezecenters. We did test arround it a little bit and it needs a good cache management.

Back to your question. There are 2 possibilitiesto use it as a player on the phone. One is to write a special player what is optimised with Slimcontrol. But this is another project. Itseems Sebastian have this on his todo List.
The other possibility is working, but not comfortable now. I did test it a little bit arround with the MORT Player. From Slim Control i did put a Playlist what i like to listenfor. This playlist i can stream to mort player. So it works.
In fact open from Mort http://ip-number:9000/stream.mp3
than open in Slimcontrol another player for example your sb-classic and play in synchronisation mode what you like.

Than you can go out of the house with your bike and listen music... :)

Locuth
2009-07-22, 02:50
[QUOTE=arztde;442339]

As of now: no.
Some people are running mort player to connect to SQ-server:9000/stream.mp3.
I have never tried it myself though.

uups, didn't read arztde's post...

MeSue
2009-07-22, 11:54
The iPhone is certainly nice for what it is, and it definitely has a prolific community of app writers, but I still don't buy into the hype that "it's the greatest device ever!" Pound for pound, my WinMo smart phone can kick your puny iPhone's #*^ ! WinMo 5.x was a nightmare, but WinMo (CE) 6.x is awesome!

No flames here! This is interesting because I have a 5 year old Dell Axim which I still think is awesome. I use it for everything--GPS, car audio, ebooks, Bible, games, web browsing, weather, notes, shopping lists, reminders, and on and on. It scrobbles and even does last.fm radio over wifi! With a 16 GB CF card, it holds all the music I need for car and travel, but can be easily expanded with CF or SD storage if I end up needing more.

I do have SlimControl on there but don't use it often because I also have a Controller. But I will fire it up occasionally for re-ordering a playlist--something the Controller still can't do.

Still, I've been thinking of getting an iTouch, but waiting for next generation announcements. In the back of my mind, I'm sure an iThing can't be better than my Axim, but I am curious about it. If the new models end up getting a camera, I will probably go for it. But I dread the thought of having to use iTunes.

My only beef with my Axim now is that syncing is always a struggle. I have to battle it about once a week to keep it syncing with Outlook. Maybe that's a Vista issue, though.

Can anyone describe the Outlook sync situation with the iPhone/Touch? Is it reliable, and is it 2-way?

I'm not interested in any device with a phone since I live in the boonies and just use a cheapie prepaid cell for $10/mo.

pippin
2009-07-22, 12:59
Can anyone describe the Outlook sync situation with the iPhone/Touch? Is it reliable, and is it 2-way?

Hey, this is Apple.
They do a lot of things wrong, but THIS is the kind of stuff they just do to perfection.

MeSue
2009-07-22, 13:32
Hey, this is Apple.
They do a lot of things wrong, but THIS is the kind of stuff they just do to perfection.

I was under the impression that it only did one-way sync. You're saying that's not true?

pippin
2009-07-22, 13:36
I was under the impression that it only did one-way sync. You're saying that's not true?

You mean only from outlook to the device?
I will have to check (it's been a while since I last used windows to sync an iTouch) but I'm sure it synced it TO the device perfectly and I'm sure it DOES sync it perfectly on the Mac (where, of course, I'm not using Outlook).
Gimme a day or two.

MeSue
2009-07-22, 13:43
You mean only from outlook to the device?

Yes. That's what I thought I had read before, but maybe it's changed or was wrong.

I will have to check (it's been a while since I last used windows to sync an iTouch) but I'm sure it synced it TO the device perfectly and I'm sure it DOES sync it perfectly on the Mac (where, of course, I'm not using Outlook).
Gimme a day or two.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

gharris999
2009-07-24, 10:27

I'm not interested in any device with a phone since I live in the boonies and just use a cheapie prepaid cell for $10/mo.
<rant>If I'm to be honest, I'd have to echo what others are saying here concerning their distaste for iTunes. On a Core2-quad machine with 4 gigs of memory and running vists64, it still feels like iTunes needs very last resource the machine has to offer in order to do even rudimentary tasks. And god help you if you need to sync in a hurry. The obligatory backup of the iThing that iTunes enforces during syncing still seems glacial, even after Apple allegedly addressed this issue. iTunes is an app that will teach you patience.</rant>

Re Outlook: The above complaints aside, Outlook integration works well, in my experience with both a Touch and an iPhone. Syncing is two-way. I like to keep my Outlook contacts categorized by keeping them in sub-folders. The iThing/iTunes respects this and allows you to select all or a subset of folders to sync. The same is true for calendars. The one area that seems to not work so well is Notes syncing. Any notes sub-folder organization that you may have in Outlook gets squashed into a big, flat list on the iThing. For me, this effectively makes Notes syncing useless and means that I can't use this feature at all.

I initially had real trouble syncing my calendar. I think that this was probably due to the fact that I had been nursing along the same Outlook PST data file since Office 2k. After I built a new PST, imported my data and eliminated the archive.pst, the calendar syncing started working perfectly.

Personally, the holy grail of syncing would be to find some way of achieving perfect three-way syncing between the iThing, Outlook and Gmail/Gcal. I've dabbled a little in this, but it's still eluding me.

gharris999
2009-07-24, 11:22
Syncing is most definitely two-way now. You may be remembering the complaints that folks had against the first version of the iPod touch (which is what I have.) Syncing was one-way with the original firmware. If I remember correctly, there wasn't even a way to add calendar events on the iTouch. The work-around (which worked for me) was to jail-break the Touch and install the iPhone version of all the apps.

Since the installing the 2.0 version firmware of a year ago, I don't think there has been any difference between the iTouch and iPhone version of the stock apps. This is true in the version 3 release of last month too...with the exception of the voice memo app (the iTouch doesn't have an internal mic) and the video creation stuff which I believe is specific to the iPhone 3Gs.

I just tested two-way syncing with my iTouch. I created a calendar entry and a new contact on the Touch and then synced. (Yes, the backup took 10 minutes...grrrrrrr.) The new entries showed right up in Outlook. I deleted them in Outlook and synced again. No backup required this time...sync took only a few seconds. The newly created entries were dutifully deleted from the Touch. Two-way syncing works just fine.

MeSue
2009-07-24, 14:54
Thanks for the details, gharris! Now I just hope the rumors are true about Touch getting a camera. Wouldn't mind reducing my purse weight a little.

As far as Notes, I use OneNote rather than Outlook for that -- it syncs with Windows Mobile when I'm not having to fight to get things to sync. I would miss OneNote, but I think there is something on the horizon for that with OneNote 2010.

I've got data in Outlook going back as far back as 1997, but I'm pretty sure the PSTs have been upgraded a few times over the years.

As far as 3-way sync, I played around with Google calendar sync, and I thought it was working well, but today I discovered all of my calendar events are repeated 5, 6, 7 times. Ugh. Not sure if Google sync is the culprit, but I've disabled it for now. I also have Windows Live so I will just have to use that for my online sync.

Good to hear that sync is two-way and works well now on the Touch.