PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions - harmony one, signal problems, and multiple libraries

mmacleod
2009-06-24, 07:47
Hi everyone, I have three questions that I was hoping I could get some help with. I did some searches for these questions but could not come up with definitive answers. I apologize if they have been answered before. My SBR and computer are right next to my stereo system. I am solely using the SBR as an alternative to directly connecting my computer to the system in order to avoid any computer rf noise. I hope this is a logical solution?

1. I just bought a SBR sans remote and plan to setup a Harmony One with it. Will I be able to replicate some of the screen functionality of the Duet controller on the Harmony One?

2. My SBR wireless signal is currently fluctuating between an abysmal 5% and 35%. I don't really understand this as my router is only a couple of rooms away and my laptop gets a strong signal. I have tried changing my router channel to little effect. I'm using a D-Link wireless-n router. Is there anything I can do to get a better signal?

3. Is there a way to setup multiple library locations in squeezebox center? I ask because there are multiple computers on my local network and it would be nice if I could go to http://<ip address of main computer>:port and add libraries from my network computers that I could play from on my SBR. I know that you can go to the local ip address of the computer you installed the squeezebox center and control the center, but it is not very useful if you can't add any extra content from the other computers.

Thanks!

aubuti
2009-06-24, 08:07
1) Does the Harmony One operate over wifi, or only infra-red? I couldn't tell from the Harmony site. The SB Receiver has no IR capabilities. So if the Harmony is IR only (as I suspect) then it won't help you at all with the SBR.

2) Some people find that the orientation of the SBR makes a difference, because of its internal antenna. Try re-positioning the SBR, including finding a way to stand it on its side. As for getting a better signal, you could add an access point nearer the SBR, or use homeplug adapters. But try re-positioning the SBR first.

3) You can do this by putting shortcuts (Windows) or symbolic links (Linux and Mac OS) to the other libraries in your main music library. Check wiki.slimdevices.com for details. Note that SC has to scan the library to build its database, so if these other computers aren't always available (eg, switched off or notebooks that people take away) then the constantly changing music library will make for a less-than-ideal experience. For example, tracks might be listed that are no longer available. That will be cleared up by rescanning, but then SC won't know when the files are available again until you rescan again.

mparry
2009-06-24, 08:19
Unfortunately the Harmony one is unable to control the Squeezebox Receiver, The Harmony one is ir only. Since the Squeezebox receiver has no ir receiver you can not control it with your Harmony.

mmacleod
2009-06-24, 08:23
Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. Sounds like I should have gotten the squeezebox classic I guess? I'll probably have to return the receiver and get the classic. Is there any difference between the two sound quality wise? Wireless signal wise etc? I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer on the forums - would it be possible to get some of the duet controllers LCD functionality onto the Harmony One's LCD and control a squeezebox classic? Thanks again.

aubuti
2009-06-24, 08:48
The SBR and the Classic are very close in sound quality. They have different brands of DAC (SBR is Wolfson and Classic is Burr-Brown), but according to most on the forums they are comparable in sound quality. I haven't done any serious A/B tests, but I have done some swapping in/out of mine and they sound the same to my ears on my audio systems. Your mileage may vary.

I have no idea what the Harmony displays on its LCD screen, or how it gets that info, but I would be *extremely* surprised if you could get Controller-like functionality from it via the IR connection.

mparry
2009-06-24, 09:13
The Harmony ones on screen display will show you different information than the squeezebox controller.
The Harmony one displays all of your IR controlled devices ( TV, Stereo, cable box etc)and allows you to set up different activities involving multiple devices.
Example: You set it up so when you hit the watch tv activity on the harmony touchscreen, your tv turns on, your surround sound turns on and your cable box turns on.
Using a Harmony to control a classic will give you the same control you would have with a Squeezebox classics IR remote and the additional ability to control your stereo.
You will not be able to see album art, control your Squeezebox without being in line of sight, control multiple Squeezeboxes using one remote or any of the other cool things you can do using a Squeezebox controller.
That said if you are looking for one remote to control everything a classic and a harmony one may be the way for you to go.

corbey
2009-06-26, 18:10
The Harmony One can duplicate the commands sent by the IR remote that comes with the Squeezebox Classic. I have a Harmony One, and it works fine to control the basic functions of SB in my home theater system.

However, it's not a substitute for the Controller, which has a wireless connection to your server. For that, you either need to buy the controller itself or an app like iPeng for the iPhone or iPod Touch (which is what I use).