PDA

View Full Version : UPnP AV & SqueezeBox Classic

slb
2009-06-22, 14:21
Since I have installed a great NAS with a very low power consumption, I would like to get rid of my server and thus will not be able to use the SqueezeCenter.

Unfortunately, the SqueezeBox is not capable of reading the musi files on a network share :(

However I saw in the forum that the SqueezeBox Boom support the UPnP AV streaming. My NAS (a DNS323 by D-Link) has such a service.

Unfortunatelly I can't find any menu on my SqueezeBox Classic to setup UPnP AV. Does anybody knows if some firmware upgrade is required ?

dsdreamer
2009-06-22, 15:23
Since I have installed a great NAS with a very low power consumption, I would like to get rid of my server and thus will not be able to use the SqueezeCenter.

Unfortunately, the SqueezeBox is not capable of reading the musi files on a network share :(

However I saw in the forum that the SqueezeBox Boom support the UPnP AV streaming. My NAS (a DNS323 by D-Link) has such a service.

Unfortunatelly I can't find any menu on my SqueezeBox Classic to setup UPnP AV. Does anybody knows if some firmware upgrade is required ?

There is a UPnP client built into SqueezeCenter that is disabled by default.

MeSue described its location as follows:

From the webUI, go to Settings > Advanced (tab) >
Network (pull down menu). It's the last item on the page labeled "UPnP
Client." Change from disabled to enabled and then you will probably
need to restart SC.

I have enabled mine, but I have issues with it timing out while reading long lists of available metadata from the server. It doesn't seem to get much attention from the developers anymore.

dsdreamer
2009-06-22, 15:32
There is a UPnP client built into SqueezeCenter that is disabled by default.

Oops, put it down to jet lag, I didn't notice that your objective was to *eliminate* SqueezeCenter.

So, the answer is no. You purchased a Slim device, and the only way it can behave as a UPnP client is by having SqueezeCenter act as its proxy.

My apologies for not seeing your point first time around.

slb
2009-06-23, 00:29
So, the answer is no. You purchased a Slim device, and the only way it can behave as a UPnP client is by having SqueezeCenter act as its proxy.

Thanks for your reply DSDreamer :)

You just confirm what I was fearing about my SqueezeBox, it is almost useless without a SqueezeCenter running on my network :(

I was considering equiping two more rooms of my house for other devices, but I will probably have to find an other solution.

If anybody has an idea about a device that either directly support UpnP or plain filesharing, just let me know ...

SilverRS8
2009-06-23, 00:35
You should have bought a NAS capable of running Squeezecenter. There are plenty around.

slb
2009-06-23, 00:45
You should have bought a NAS capable of running Squeezecenter. There are plenty around.

On the other hand, one cannot expect every NAS vendor to implement specific software like SqueezeCenter. At least UPnP and CIFS *are* standards and it's surprising that SlimDevices did not plan to support them.

sander
2009-06-23, 07:36
The problem is Squeezebox is a very thin client. The original generation of products can't do anything except connect to a server and recieve information. The newer ones are a little bit fatter, but they'll probably never support UPNP.

You're better off looking at other "wifi radios". Most of those support UPNP to some degree. Some of the older ones are pretty cheap.

I originally wanted to build my setup around UPNP to have a larger selection of devices, but after a lot of frustration I settled on Squeezebox and it's never been better.

The server/NAS piece is key though because I don't think you get the most out of it without building a small server, so you can run stuff like MusicIP.

Just my 2 cents.

aubuti
2009-06-23, 07:43
The server/NAS piece is key though because I don't think you get the most out of it without building a small server, so you can run stuff like MusicIP.
Also note that a lot of NASs use more energy than a much more flexible (and powerful) small server. There are lots of great, very inexpensive options with mini-itx boxes and systems based on Intel's Atom CPU. For example, I used to run SC on a LinkStation NAS that consumed 14w when running. I've replaced it with an Atom-based MSI box that uses 23w when running, but actually draws less power overall because it supports suspend-to-RAM and wake-on-LAN, which drops the draw to 3w. And it's much faster with scanning and web ui, supports MusicIP, etc etc.

Nikhil
2009-06-24, 04:08
If anybody has an idea about a device that either directly support UpnP or plain filesharing, just let me know ...

Sonos will work with plain filesharing (and with some flavours of UPnP). And as a long time happy user of both SlimDevices and Sonos products, I can say without any bias that it is an excellent option. You can buy an amplified ZonePlayer - the ZP120 tp connect to speakers or an un-amplified one with Analogue and Digital outputs. For controlling, you can use the Windows or Mac based Desktop Controller, or the free iPhone / iPod Touch Sonos controller App, or you could buy the excellent, but now clunky and outdated, CR100 handheld controller (rumour has it that a new slimmer CR200 controller will be available soon).

aspendl828
2009-06-24, 09:10
[QUOTE=dsdreamer;434511]There is a UPnP client built into SqueezeCenter that is disabled by default.

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread but does this mean that Squeezecentre can distibute music to other upnp devices - such as an internet radio in my daughters room?

I'm currently running Twonky just to service that device.......

sander
2009-06-24, 09:40
No, Squeezecenter can read from UPNP the same way it can read from itunes. This means it can ingrate music from these sources, not that it can communicate with UPNP devices.

There is a beta effort called white bear serve which is trying to do this. I believe there is a thread in either plugins or developers which has the download and info on this. It only runs on Windows though.

radish
2009-06-24, 11:41
Sorry to sort of hijack the thread but does this mean that Squeezecentre can distibute music to other upnp devices - such as an internet radio in my daughters room?

No, it's a uPnP client, not server (i.e. it can pull content from uPnP servers but can't act as one itself).

aspendl828
2009-06-25, 01:23
Ahhhhhh... Thanks Radish / Sander.

I would have been amazed had I miseed that bit of functionality - clearly I should have read the original post more carefully.

I will have a look at white bear though...

Cheers

Andrew

Paul Webster
2009-06-25, 04:44
Is there still work going n to have an internet connected Squeezebox act as a UPnP renderer/control-point by getting help from SqueezeNetwork?
AndyG was working on it
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=819