PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Hardware Choice (slightly off topic)



=?iso-8859-1?q?Fred=20Bloggs?=
2004-06-05, 05:55
Hi all

I have been using a wireless laptop/windows2000 as my slimserver up until now but I'm considering buying some dedicated h/w

Does anybody have any recommendations/suggestions ?

My current thinking is a relatively low spec processor ( AMD <2GHz )
in a bare bones unit with ideally cool running large internal disks (5400 rpm?)

This is mainly because I plan to keep the server running continually and would like it to be cool and stable.

I would also like to keep it relatively future-proof but also cheapish

Not to fussed what o/s but Windoze2000 would probably be chosen to keep the peace at home

Any thoughts appreciated

Regards



---------------------------------
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

mherger
2004-06-05, 08:23
> Hi all
> I have been using a wireless laptop/windows2000 as my slimserver up
> until now but I'm considering buying some dedicated h/w
> Does anybody have any recommendations/suggestions ?
> My current thinking is a relatively low spec processor ( AMD <2GHz )

If you don't plan on using online transcoding a lot (wma->mp3), have a
look at VIA's Epiah series of mainboards. Those processors are currently
running at about 1GHz, need little (<1GHz no) active cooling and therefore
produce less noise.

> in a bare bones unit with ideally cool running large internal disks
> (5400 rpm?)
> This is mainly because I plan to keep the server running continually and
> would like it to be cool and stable.
> I would also like to keep it relatively future-proof but also cheapish
> Not to fussed what o/s but Windoze2000 would probably be chosen to keep
> the peace at home
> Any thoughts appreciated
> Regards
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
> Download Messenger Now



--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
http://www.herger.net/photo - mein kleines Photoalbum

Will Smith
2004-06-05, 11:24
It depends whether you want to transcode or not.

I ran Slimserver with 25,000-ish songs on a Pentium 3 933MHz machine
with 384MB of RAM for a loooong time with no problems. However, when I
wanted to stream formats that the Squeezebox doesn't support, I had to
upgrade the machine to prevent stuttering and the like. Adding more
RAM may have fixed the problem, but I didn't test it.

Now I'm running a 2.4GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM. If you get a big enough
passive cooler and set a big,slow 12cm fan so that it will draw air
over the CPU cooler, you should be able to run it with only a fan or
three.

Hope this helps!

///Will


On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:23:01 +0200, Michael Herger <michael (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> > I have been using a wireless laptop/windows2000 as my slimserver up
> > until now but I'm considering buying some dedicated h/w
> > Does anybody have any recommendations/suggestions ?
> > My current thinking is a relatively low spec processor ( AMD <2GHz )
>
> If you don't plan on using online transcoding a lot (wma->mp3), have a
> look at VIA's Epiah series of mainboards. Those processors are currently
> running at about 1GHz, need little (<1GHz no) active cooling and therefore
> produce less noise.
>
> > in a bare bones unit with ideally cool running large internal disks
> > (5400 rpm?)
> > This is mainly because I plan to keep the server running continually and
> > would like it to be cool and stable.
> > I would also like to keep it relatively future-proof but also cheapish
> > Not to fussed what o/s but Windoze2000 would probably be chosen to keep
> > the peace at home
> > Any thoughts appreciated
> > Regards
> >
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
> > Download Messenger Now
>
>
> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> http://www.jo-sac.ch - JO-SAC inoffiziell!
> http://www.herger.net/photo - mein kleines Photoalbum
>