PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Duet, solution or problem?

knjy
2009-06-20, 01:59
Well I did my research and took advice, (Ripcaster especially helpful) read the forums, ripped 400 cds to a LaCie NAS, hooked it all up with ethernet cable, loaded Squeezecentre, turned it on and off several times, updated the software, scanned my libraries, and scanned 'em again, ditched the LaCie NAS (slow, capricious and mostly unavailable) added Firewire drives to my iMac, updated the software copied my music to the new drives, re-scanned my libraries, and scanned my libraries again using 'replace all', powered on and off randomly and with a well laid plan, discovered the 'ethernet' menu setting was not selected, menu not available unless controller is re-set, reset the controller, found & chose 'ethernet' from the menu, updated the software, power cycled again, listened to a little music, power cycled again, listened to a little more music, tried the controller as a music streamer, found beta menu, chose controller from the menu, tried it as a streamer, worked for a while, power cycled, re-scanned etc etc etc etc, listened to a little more music.

How does this sound to you? Consumer product, fully sorted

I expect my system is flawed in some way. iMac 1.8ghz, OS 10.5.7, 2 x WD Firewire 500gb drives, 10/100 ethernet through a 4 port Dlink, permissions repaired weekly, blah blah

In defence of the Duet, the sound is very good and better than the irrepairable 1000 Pierre Lurne CD deck it replaced, so I should be grateful, but I'm not ...........

andynormancx
2009-06-20, 04:10
tried the controller as a music streamer, found beta menu, chose controller from the menu, tried it as a streamer, worked for a while, power cycled, re-scanned etc etc etc etc, listened to a little more music.

How does this sound to you? Consumer product, fully sorted

You may well have some valid points, but complaining about using the Controller as aplayer isn't one of them. As you rightly pointed out it is a beta feature, it isn't ready for "consumers" yet, no one has claimed it is. The Controller isn't even marketed as having player functionality.

funkstar
2009-06-20, 10:51
What version of SqueezeCenter are you using? 7.3.3 fixes a lot of issues, especially for the Controller and Reciever and their wireless reception.

And as andynormancx said, playback on the Controller is not official yet, it's still in testing (and low priority right now).

knjy
2009-06-21, 04:35
I understand the points made about the controller, it was a cheap shot on my part. I'm using 7.3.3.

I'm having the moan because these forums enable that; excellent that they do. I also want to add my voice to others about product readiness, the claims made and the casual way companies use marketing to 'fix' issues.
The ratio of trying to listen to music to listening to music is on the wrong side for now, the cost of the product pales in significance when the time invested is totted up. We are all busy, and I don't think I have enough life left for all this which probably removes me from the target demographic market, oh dear ........

knjy
2009-06-23, 04:23
http://wiredformusic.blogspot.com/2008/05/squeezing-most-out-of-your-squeezebox.html

Check this link out if you have doubts about the readiness of the Squeezebox Duet. A fine young man has written his own manual, quite a bit longer than the one supplied by Logitech and pretty much lays out the work needed to make it function - crikey is all I can say

radish
2009-06-23, 06:21
http://wiredformusic.blogspot.com/2008/05/squeezing-most-out-of-your-squeezebox.html

Check this link out if you have doubts about the readiness of the Squeezebox Duet. A fine young man has written his own manual, quite a bit longer than the one supplied by Logitech and pretty much lays out the work needed to make it function - crikey is all I can say

That's exactly not what that post actually is. For one thing it's not even about the Duet (hint: look at the photo). Second, the first section (about 10% of the total article) covers basic setup and ends:

Once the scan is complete, you're ready to go. Simply hook up the Squeezebox, turn it on, go through a couple menus, and you can start streaming your music to your stereo. Awesome. But what if you're hankering for more? Well, then...

The rest of the (actually pretty well written) guide covers a myriad of additional advanced topics, such as Moose, Softsqueeze, plugins, remote streaming, Music IP, etc etc. This is not "work needed to make it function" it's "the optional stuff that makes this solution so much more flexible than things like Sonos".

knjy
2009-07-05, 01:35
So I woke up early this morning, wanted to play some Classical, picked up the Controller, it lit up, I'm optimistic, it whirled, and it whirled, no connection, went through power cycle thing, disconnected everything, the Controller found the music source, Duet did not and went to blue, so I'm busy re-scanning the music library, half an hour has gone by and I'm thinking perhaps I'll just put on the radio ..........

I get all your points, it just seams to me that this is not yet a consumer product - think transistor radio, iPod, toaster they work when you turn them on

pippin
2009-07-05, 02:32
So I woke up early this morning, wanted to play some Classical, picked up the Controller, it lit up, I'm optimistic, it whirled, and it whirled, no connection, went through power cycle thing, disconnected everything, the Controller found the music source, Duet did not and went to blue, so I'm busy re-scanning the music library, half an hour has gone by and I'm thinking perhaps I'll just put on the radio ..........

I get all your points, it just seams to me that this is not yet a consumer product - think transistor radio, iPod, toaster they work when you turn them on

Don't rescan just because it doesn't find the source.
This is most likely a WiFi or firewall issue, rescanning the database will just cost you time.
Read through some of the WiFi reception threads here.

knjy
2009-07-05, 03:56
I apprerciate your engagement with me on this, I must look like Mr grumpy (I am)
OK, I'll read threads on firewalls but I don't have one and I'm connected via ethernet. I have reset/restarted/re jigged that whole thing as well. As you see from the time I posted today this issue has taken up some time. I'm thinking it might be more satisfying to take a chain saw to it. I cannot think of a more frustrating or troublesome product.

pippin
2009-07-05, 04:31
I apprerciate your engagement with me on this, I must look like Mr grumpy (I am)
OK, I'll read threads on firewalls but I don't have one and I'm connected via ethernet. I have reset/restarted/re jigged that whole thing as well. As you see from the time I posted today this issue has taken up some time. I'm thinking it might be more satisfying to take a chain saw to it. I cannot think of a more frustrating or troublesome product.

I just said re-scanning will not solve it.
OK, you have no firewall. Any routers?
How did you configure your receiver?

knjy
2009-07-08, 08:26
It seems a firmware update to my Time Capsule (used as a router on the network) reset to 'manual' IP distribution rather than bridge mode. Once I tracked this down, thanks to your alert, the Duet found the music library etc. My fault this time.

Worked fine for a while then some music folders mysteriously appeared as 'empty'. The upside is that my family are enjoying the show.

tcutting
2009-07-08, 09:10
kjny-
We hear your frustration.
There are a number of people on this forum who are willing to help.
Realize that this product relies on a number of other peices to work correctly for the whole system to work. It sounds like your overall setup should be very robust, so maybe taking a step back we can help you get to a point where everything "just works" like it is supposed to (and take heart - for most users it does "just work").
For me it would be helpful to have you review your configuration.
Squeezecenter - runs on iMac? Version 7.3.3? iMac is connected to router (what kind?) via wired ethernet?
Which Squeezebox player? (Reciever) How is it connected (wired or wireless)?
Any "unusual" aspects to your network (multiple routers and/or wireless access points)?
Not sure what causes your music folders to be "empty" - what are you using to look at your music folders to see this? Are you browsing in Squeezecenter by music folder? Are you able to browse by "Album" or "Artist" and do you find everything that way?
Finally, what format is your music in? (mp3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, etc)

knjy
2009-07-11, 06:56
OK appreciate your effort.
iMac G5 1.8ghz OS X 10.5.7
Squeezenetwork 7.3.3
Ethernet network via Dlink 4 port 10/100 hub wired to internet via a modem, Time Capsule and 1 x network printer and the iMac
Time Capsule feeds ethernet to Dynamode 85mbps wall plug home network plugs
Duet connected to other Dynamode ethernet wall plug

There is no wireless in this system but the Time Capsule extends the network wirelessly so that other PCs in the house can use it

Controller connected to the wireless network and sees the duet. I'm not sure if this is direct to the Duet or via the wireless network.

Generally the Time capsule suffers very few network disconnects but the Dlink has to be power-cycled quite regularly to clear indigestion - it is the oldest part of the whole piece.

800+ Music albums are stored in Apple Lossless format on 2x WD 1TB firewire drives (1 for backup) directly connected to the iMac

Any clues gratefully received
Kevin

knjy
2009-07-11, 07:05
I forgot one aspect - The music folders show on the screen of the Controller under either albums or artists but when I click through they say 'empty'. this happened again this morning. I re-scanned replacing all folders and it is OK now. I have this setup as an auto function in Squeezecentre settings but it does not appear to do it automatically.
Kevin

raaurora
2009-07-11, 13:03
I guess I'm one of the lucky few who has had little problem getting everything going. My PC, router, and entertainment center are all in the same room...I guess that helps things.

The few times I buy a CD (as opposed to purchasing specific tracks from iTunes or Rhapsody) I rip it to my media library, rescan SC, and pretty much never have to bother with the CD again. Plus, I get so much more value out of my Rhapsody subscription now than before the duet. I've had it for a year and the only upgrade problem I've had was with 7.3.3 - I had to go clean out the Perl cache in TEMP and then it was resolved.

This is definitely a solution for me.

knjy
2009-07-22, 07:23
OK it is a bit early but the solution may have been found. I swapped the old dLink router out of the network and replaced it with a new Netgear GS608 8 port switch voila! So far over 48hours the Squeezebox Duet has worked perfectly, also the erratic behaviour of the network has gone and it is faster so the culprit looks like the dLink after all that.

Thanks for all the help, patience and general restraint from the community.

knjy
2009-07-24, 07:51
Update

Working faultlessly including Beta Controller output for a week now. This has transformed my listening experience and works in the way I imagined, now my favourite toy. Buy one!!!!!!!!!

In the words of the song "What a difference a router makes"