PDA

View Full Version : Wireless SB newbie questions (and some suggestions)

N K
2004-06-04, 03:29
Hello Everyone,

I'm the happy owner of a SB wireless, and need to ask all you veterans some questions.

1) Is there no STOP button on remote? I see that there is a STOP inthe web interface, but the remote only has play/pause.

2) Are there any discrete codes for the SB to perform other functions that one can use with a universal remote/pronto etc?

3) In the web interface, on the left IE pane, whenever I click on the song directly (seems to be calling the "songinfo.html) , it ends up with "Page can not be displayed". Adding the song to the playlist, or hitting the play "|>" button on the left pane works fine though. What can be the cause of this?

4) In my current setup I use PC----wired----AP----wireless------SB->AVreceiver. The PC/AP is in the office-room and the SB/AV is in the living room (some 30meters apart and not in an "direct line of sight".
My best signal strength is 28%. This is marginal (some pausing while playing) whenever I'm in front of the SB etc..

Are there any plans to upgrade the SB to 802.11g? (my AP is G) . I would expect this to shift the available bandwidth up quite a bit, for the same 28% signal strength. Would this upgrade be a firmware upgrade or would it have to be a hardware upgrade (I fear so)

As a workaround, would it make sense to instruct the SB to lock on the minimum bandwidth (it is 1Mbps under the 802.11b, right?) , no matter how strong the signal is ? Would this help under marginal situations like mine, where one does not stream FLAC,PCM, but only 320kbps (max) MP3s?

5) Complementary to the above, is there (or could there be) an option to buffer more bits of a song whenever the signal allows it, so that under stress conditions of quick/spikey lower signal/bandwidth, there wouldn't be a pausing during playing (like the ESP memory buffers used in car cd players to overcome bumpy road problems)

6) Also, could someone please inform me if there is a way to search this forum for info? Is there a keyword search someplace?

Thanks to everyone that provides feedback, and thank you Slimdevices for making such a wonderful product.

Nikos Kalofolias

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-06-04, 10:57
N K wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm the happy owner of a SB wireless, and need to ask all you veterans
> some questions.
>
> 1) Is there no STOP button on remote? I see that there is a STOP inthe
> web interface, but the remote only has play/pause.

Press and hold the pause button.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com