PDA

View Full Version : Larger-screen (touch) remote interface in the future?

silverlight
2009-06-17, 12:33
So I really like the iPeng interface on the iPod Touch which I used to control Squeezecenter, and occasionally open up my notebook and use the SC web interface to control. So I've spent a little on the Sooloos system, and I have to admit I really like the larger touch screen interaction, and additional information it pulls in on the albums (lyrics, more detailed composer info, performers, etc., which I assume it pulls in when ripping CD's from whatever source(s) they subscribe to). Is anyone aware of a nice, slick interface like this for SC today, or if anything is being planned? Apple's rumored upcoming touch 8-9" touchscreen would be a nice size. (I also have a Pronto remote running a SC control application, but I find it slow and inefficient to work with and lacks the amazing screen quality/resolution of the ipod/ipeng combination).

pippin
2009-06-18, 01:41
So I really like the iPeng interface on the iPod Touch which I used to control Squeezecenter, and occasionally open up my notebook and use the SC web interface to control. So I've spent a little on the Sooloos system, and I have to admit I really like the larger touch screen interaction, and additional information it pulls in on the albums (lyrics, more detailed composer info, performers, etc., which I assume it pulls in when ripping CD's from whatever source(s) they subscribe to). Is anyone aware of a nice, slick interface like this for SC today, or if anything is being planned? Apple's rumored upcoming touch 8-9" touchscreen would be a nice size. (I also have a Pronto remote running a SC control application, but I find it slow and inefficient to work with and lacks the amazing screen quality/resolution of the ipod/ipeng combination).

Have you tried Moose?

Dingostrategy
2009-06-18, 02:57
Moose running on an EEEtop or even just SC via Mozilla Prism would not be a terrible 'poor man's' Sooloos.

(Plus they throw in a PC for free)

At well under US$1000 it's mighty cheap computing.

simbo
2009-06-18, 05:12
I really wish I'd had the time to spend on my 3D interface (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45158&highlight=3D) for SC. It would have looked great on one of 'em fancy eeeTops. The best laid plans...

silverlight
2009-06-18, 05:24
Hi guys, thanks for the quick follow-up. I'll look into Moose on Eeetop (will run it first on my Windows laptop to see how it interfaces).

For now, though I really do love iPeng (I use a Juicepack battery accessory for the ipod touch 2G and leave it on all the time when I'm using it / prevent sleep, and it works great!), just itching for a larger screen interface....

badbob
2009-06-18, 05:35
Crestron?
http://www.customcontrols.co.uk/?gclid=CM6dlJDqk5sCFd4B4wodsQK7pw

Dingostrategy
2009-06-18, 06:13
The developers are aready talking about/working on SBS (formerly SC) 8...

You just never know, things might take a large shift towards the 'pretty'.. I myself am totally happy with iPeng and if I had a touchscreen, I guess I'd use squeezeplay or Moose or just be happy with SC which is somehow attractive in a pickup truck, get the job done, down home punch kind of way..

(I find command lines and Germain Greer attractive so for sure don't base your stylistic choices on my opinions.)

And at $8000+ for a sooloos, I'm sorry but they can go and get ****ed. It's a beautiful device but by geez, pricey much? Wicked party trick but for that money I could put a new set of tyres on my Maybach :S

My guess is touchscreen computing will really stabilise in the next year or so. I look forward to the tussle between companies do touchscreen/app-driven devices taking on traditional mac/pc type providers. I think iPhone and appstore is proof that the terrain is shifting to reading device/app machines and away from traditional PCs and the new fad netbooks.

When I bought my eeebox a few weeks ago, I was shopping for a touchscreen. Here in Delhi the choices are not huge, but there were several perfectly reasonable options. In the end I wound up going the budget route but there are many ways to go. A simple tablet laptop PC spun around and wall mounted being one. The future is bright. Gotta wear shades.

An outside guess? I think we should wait for a mac 'touch', about the size of a thin paperback, with cradle and stand. For using apps/reading/netbooking stuff. You heard it here first.

Kim.T
2009-06-18, 23:59
My best guess is that the dev. cost of such a device would be to big. I mean you just can't beat the price of a iPod Touch!
My best guess is that this was the reason why Sonos released an app for the touch instead of developing a new updated controller.
The advantage of a Touch is also that this device can be used for other task - no only SC.