PDA

View Full Version : Streaming my music to work

lemmy999
2009-06-17, 11:27
So what is the best way to listen to music residing on my computer from a remote location via the internet? I know at one time it was SoftSqueeze, but does it work with the newer SqueezeCenters? I have tried SqueezePlay but it has the same problems that it did when I first tried it months ago. It doesn't have the simple ability that SoftSqueeze had for years which is the ability to select ports.

aubuti
2009-06-17, 11:39
SoftSqueeze works with the newer SC, although if you are running an old version of SoftSqueeze you may want to upgrade that, too. For details about setting up the ssh connection, firewalls, etc. see the page about connecting remotely on wiki.slimdevices.com

Matt Wise
2009-06-17, 11:41
Step 1: Buy a Boom
Step 2: Hook up to Network
Step 3: Open ports 9000/3483 to your home network
Step 4: Connect Boom to home network
Step 5: Profit!

(Seriously, my wife and I both have Booms in our office and we stream from home all day long... comcast hates me)

lemmy999
2009-06-17, 12:10
SoftSqueeze works with the newer SC, although if you are running an old version of SoftSqueeze you may want to upgrade that, too. For details about setting up the ssh connection, firewalls, etc. see the page about connecting remotely on wiki.slimdevices.com

Ports 9000 and 3483 are blocked by my work. So my router at home I forward port 80 to 9000 on my home computer running SqueezeCenter (port 80 is open) and port 443 to port 3483 on my SqueezeCenter computer. I can open windows media player and play the stream.mp3 file just fine so I know that the music is streaming properly over 80 to my work. When I try SoftSqueeze 3.7 or 3.9b1 I can navigate around and select a song to play, but it never plays. It just sits there with the time bar at 0:00. I look on the web interface of squeezecenter and the player shows up and the song that I added to play with SoftSqueeze shows up as playing on the SoftSqueeze player, but I am getting no sound.

Also, I see that SSH is recommended for streaming, but why is it needed? It always worked for me in the past to just forward the two ports and run SoftSqueeze.

aubuti
2009-06-17, 12:29
Ports 9000 and 3483 are blocked by my work. So my router at home I forward port 80 to 9000 on my home computer running SqueezeCenter (port 80 is open) and port 443 to port 3483 on my SqueezeCenter computer. I can open windows media player and play the stream.mp3 file just fine so I know that the music is streaming properly over 80 to my work. When I try SoftSqueeze 3.7 or 3.9b1 I can navigate around and select a song to play, but it never plays. It just sits there with the time bar at 0:00. I look on the web interface of squeezecenter and the player shows up and the song that I added to play with SoftSqueeze shows up as playing on the SoftSqueeze player, but I am getting no sound.

Also, I see that SSH is recommended for streaming, but why is it needed? It always worked for me in the past to just forward the two ports and run SoftSqueeze.
ssh is recommended for security reasons, because you're opening up your home computer to the internet. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ConnectingRemotely. I don't know much more than that, because my solution to tunes at work is to play directly from the external USB drive that I keep in the office as an off-site backup of all my data from home (including FLACs).

lemmy999
2009-06-17, 12:40
I am thinking that even though those ports are open, something on my work computer or the work firewall is keeping it from working. SoftSqueeze works on my home computer (the same one that has Squeezecenter on it) and it works if I point it to a friends squeezecenter over the internet.

I have thought about doing that with the offsite backup of my music. I have an external 1.5TB drive, but I would probably just bring it to work and do less backups.

bernt
2009-06-17, 23:02
Hamachi (LogMeIn).

Squeezeslave.

Moose.
Start Moose with /squeezeslave.

I have used this combo for years.

Howard Passman
2009-06-18, 04:21
Your network admin has blocked streaming for a good reason. It would probably be smarter to bring a drive to work and load SC on our work PC than to load down the bandwidth at work. It doesn't take to many folks streaming to slow even a fast connection down.

Howard

epoch1970
2009-06-18, 04:52
Perhaps this is a matter of UDP vs TCP as the transport, and UDP being blocked by the router ?
ssh would definitely help in that case. On your router, undo the current port forwardings and add a new one, for the ssh server on the SC server host (default: listen on 22/TCP) to respond on, say, 443/TCP.
Then something like:
ssh -p 443 -L 9000:SC_server_lan_ip:9000 -L 3483:SC_server_lan_ip:3483 -N -C login@SC_server_public_ip

should work.

I'm not so sure you really need 3483. Discovery is chatty, maybe you can do without it?

HTH

lemmy999
2009-06-18, 05:48
Your network admin has blocked streaming for a good reason. It would probably be smarter to bring a drive to work and load SC on our work PC than to load down the bandwidth at work. It doesn't take to many folks streaming to slow even a fast connection down.

Howard

They have not blocked streaming because I can open windows media player and play the http://myhomeip.net:80/stream.mp3 all day long. (i have 80 forwarded to port 9000 on my home computer).

i would say very few places have more bandwidth than my work has, all 3000 of us could probably stream at the same time without a problem.

lemmy999
2009-06-18, 06:01
Perhaps this is a matter of UDP vs TCP as the transport, and UDP being blocked by the router ?
ssh would definitely help in that case. On your router, undo the current port forwardings and add a new one, for the ssh server on the SC server host (default: listen on 22/TCP) to respond on, say, 443/TCP.
Then something like:
ssh -p 443 -L 9000:SC_server_lan_ip:9000 -L 3483:SC_server_lan_ip:3483 -N -C login@SC_server_public_ip

should work.

I'm not so sure you really need 3483. Discovery is chatty, maybe you can do without it?

HTH

I have both UDP and TCP forwarded on my router to my SC server. but i will give SSH a try. thanks.

lemmy999
2009-06-18, 07:10
Then something like:

should work.

HTH

I am a little confused. I have ssh working on the SC_server. I have my home router forwarding port 22 to the SC_server computer. Port 22 is open at my work. So on my work computer I can type "ssh myuser@SC_server_public_ip" and I can successfully log on to the SC_server computer. So in the command you gave, I wouldn't need the -p 443 right? That would just be if 22 was blocked at my work and I was having to use 443..right? Also, since SoftSqueeze supports tunneling, do I have to type any SSH command on the work computer at all? Shouldn't I just be able to put in my SSH username and password in SoftSqueeze and everything work? Or do I have to do something special on the SC_server computer to get the tunnel to work? Thanks.

lemmy999
2009-06-18, 07:44
I installed SSH on the SC_server computer, forwarded port 22, and let SoftSqueeze to do the SSH tunneling and the music is playing now. However the navigation using softsqueeze is much slower than normal. Is that to be expected since it is using SSH? Thanks for your help.

epoch1970
2009-06-18, 08:42
I think I'd poke around (but I can't tell you about the expected performance, I don't use ssh for my SC server):

- compression => latency: perhaps you want to try without compression (the -C switch on the ssh command-line) ?

- cipher => latency+cpu load: Otherwise, you could try to change the cipher used by ssh (but that is a bit tricky, clients and server have to be compiled with the same ciphers, and you probably want to check the config files as well.) Sometimes I succeeded connecting with "-c NONE" to specify the null cipher.
Blowfish is usually a fast cipher for software based encryption, and it is better than "NONE" obviously.
Or you could experiment with rsh tunneling, but this is getting seriously outdated.

- udp over tcp, tcp over tcp => packet losses: this is getting seriously tricky. If the tunnel experiences tcp retries, it will transport spurious udp or tcp packets to the client and server. Or the tcp packet size of the data inside the tunnel is too large for the tcp packet size of the tunnel and you get fragmentation... For me there is a lot of magic here. But I know that pinging or udp-pinging inside the tunnel with various payloads help diagnose the problem.

lemmy999
2009-06-18, 10:12
I am not using the command line you posted. I assume I would enter that command on the work computer, then start up SoftSqueeze? Right now I am just starting SoftSqueeze and then going in under the SSH section and enabling "Use SSH tunnel" and entering in the port (22) and login information. So I don't have the option to enable/disable compression.

Everything is actually working pretty well, except at the start of every song it cuts out a couple of times then it is fine. But this is much better than what I had before (dealing with windows media player playing the .stream.mp3 file).

epoch1970
2009-06-18, 10:46
Jeeze I had no idea SoftSqueeze was able to do this by itself.
If you use the command-line ssh, next start SoftSqueeze without any option, then Softsqueeze should be tricked into seeing an SC server on localhost.
Sorry for the confusion (although it led to progress, it seems :) )