PDA

View Full Version : DSBridge - A simpler way to stream Spotify

Pages : [1] 2

chp
2009-06-17, 10:19
I thought I'd share the fruits of my labour here... I have written a small drop-in wrapper utility that will allow you to stream among other things Spotify (anything that uses the first DirectSound API basically) as MP3 (with metadata).

Download link: http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090727-bin.zip. Installation instructions are found in the included readme file.

Note that for SqueezeCenter http://localhost:8124/ might not work (even when running it on the same machine), instead you have to input the actual IP of the computer to get it to work.

I do not include the LAME encoder DLL due to the usual patent issues. It can be tracked down elsewhere.

ted1001
2009-06-21, 14:32
WOW! Impressive.

I just tried it on my Logitech Boombox. And it workes brilliantly!

So easy and... well, have no complaints!

PS. It was so easy I had trouble understanding how to get it working. How I did it:
1. Download dsbridge.
2. Extract the dll file into my Spotify folder (c:\program files\spotify)
3. Get lame_enc.dll and also put it in th Spotify folder.
4. Restart Spotify - and start playing a track (I put the volume to zero in Spotify).
5. On my Boombox I connected to http://192.168.0.199:8124 (the IP of my computer) and VOILA - It plays music!

jofafrazze
2009-06-22, 06:20
Thanks chp, works like a charm for me! I'm on Vista 32 bit.

Labarum
2009-06-22, 06:26
I must try it.

Spotify Premium for a subscription of £10 per month will allow streaming at 320Kb/s OGG

That could be extremely good.

Will Premium be accessible via SB?

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/spotify-offering-cd-quality-streaming-609758

jeebers
2009-06-22, 08:22
Brilliant! Works perfectly and is very easy to set up. This will keep me very happy until an official plugin is available - thanks!

dasjoen
2009-06-22, 12:11
I thought I'd share the fruits of my labour here... I have written a small drop-in wrapper utility that will allow you to stream among other things Spotify (anything that uses the first DirectSound API basically) as MP3 (with metadata).

This is really cool. Thanks for the hard work!

I don't seem to get any metadata, however. Which metadata is supposed to be streamed?

chp
2009-06-22, 13:28
It streams the title of the main window in the application that it is wrapping. If it's not working it means that either SqueezeCenter is doing something differently (I did only test the metadata-support with Winamp before releasing and don't have access to proper SB hardware right now), or the primitive HTTP server is not parsing the header properly.

I'm working on some improvements and I'll put this on the list to be fixed.

Padde
2009-06-23, 23:41
Hello
This is just what i'am looking for. Tried it yeasterday but i cant get it to work. I think the problem is that my hard drive is E:\ not C:\
Could this bee the problem?

Paul

bernt
2009-06-24, 00:34
Works very well. Thanks.

Does it trancode the stream to mp3?

Soundquality is not that good but I guess it have to do with that I never had listen to Spotify on a real system before.

danco
2009-06-24, 01:11
It would be nice if someone could write a similar item for Linux and Mac OS X.

Veggen
2009-06-24, 02:46
Working great, thanks.

Is there a way of controlling the bitrate used by lame?
Now it is transcoding to 160 kbps mp3 from 160 kbps ogg, which means it is loosing resolution as ogg is more efficient than mp3. If possible I would like to have maximum mp3 rate to minimize the quality impact.

baz
2009-06-24, 03:04
Thank you very much! Everyting working except metadata (I'm using SqueezeCenter 7.3.2).

chp
2009-06-24, 04:32
Quick reply to questions:

I am extracting the path to the windows installation, so it "should" work, but maybe loading it with a absolute path is not working well on non-standard environments; I'll look into improving the logic.

Yes, I'm working on making most aspects configurable, so you will be able to alter the bitrate of the stream itself; 160kbps was chosen as a middlepoint between performance and sound quality. I'll probably up the default quality to 192kbps as well for the next release.

Padde
2009-06-24, 08:31
Hello again
Here is what happens. I have placed the two dll's in E:\Program Files\Spotify
Everything is ok when i start Spotify. But when i start to play a track Spotify complains that "There is a problem with you sound card" and nothing happens. The symbol in sys tray is red and if i hover the mouse over it says
"D:Could not load C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DSOUND.DLL" If i removes the two dll's in E:\Program Files\Spotify and restarts Spotify it works again with the speakers connected to my PC.

Thanks in advance

NikolajC
2009-06-24, 08:42
Works here without a glitch. Very interesting work indeed thanks.

baz
2009-06-24, 10:12
Nope, can't get the metadata to work. Streamed to VLC and the music works as expected but no metadata can be found.

I am using Vista 32-bit version.

Any ideas?

chp
2009-06-24, 15:28
I have done a quick bugfix release:

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090625-bin.zip

Changes:

- Now using native method to extract system directory
- Cleaned up icons (much easier to do in Paint.Net than the icon editor :D)
- Bumped encoding quality to 192kbps

Padde, this should fix the issue where the program would try to load DirectSound from the wrong location.

baz, metadata issues will have to wait until early next week; I currently don't have access to the proper tools to debug that issue.

baz
2009-06-25, 15:33
Thanks for the new version with higher quality (192kbps).

I installed the new SW on a computer with Win XP but I still got the problem with the metadata.

Padde
2009-06-25, 22:03
Super, many thanks.

bernt
2009-06-25, 23:00
Sounds better now. Thanks.

Padde
2009-06-26, 12:30
now i'am happy it works, thanks
Great work!

Veggen
2009-06-29, 13:56
New version working fine, thanks again.

If you have the time, please consider including flac lossless encoding as an option in a future version. As the music has already been lossy compressed once, a second time should be avoided imho.

Ramage
2009-06-30, 01:08
Tested using Winamp on host computer and played OK with metadata.

When connected to squeezecenter from another network PC although I get good audio on a Duet receiver, there is no metadata.

Great application.

chp
2009-07-02, 06:18
New release time!

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090702-bin.zip

Changes:

20090702:

- Improved how the metadata directive is parsed in the HTTP header
- Fixed race condition when HttpServer read encoded MP3 data

This should fix the metadata for SqueezeCenter, and also fixes an audio distortion / crash issue that I have been seeing from time to time.

Ramage
2009-07-02, 06:39
New release time!

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090702-bin.zip

Changes:

20090702:

- Improved how the metadata directive is parsed in the HTTP header
- Fixed race condition when HttpServer read encoded MP3 data

This should fix the metadata for SqueezeCenter, and also fixes an audio distortion / crash issue that I have been seeing from time to time.

Yeah, tried update and I now get metadata thro' squeezecenter.

Great work.

Cover art would be awesome tho'.

chp
2009-07-02, 08:11
First I wasn't sure how to do artwork, but after looking in the SqueezeCenter source code I found that it actually supports passing a StreamUrl directive to display artwork in the metadata stream, so it's now on my todo list. :)

Basically what I'll do is let you configure a "window capture" and then it'll do periodic snapshots and display whatever is in that area.

baz
2009-07-04, 01:12
Thanks for the new revision. Now the metadata works like a charm!

Great work chp! I really appreciate your nice work!

Ramage
2009-07-04, 01:32
First I wasn't sure how to do artwork, but after looking in the SqueezeCenter source code I found that it actually supports passing a StreamUrl directive to display artwork in the metadata stream, so it's now on my todo list. :)

Basically what I'll do is let you configure a "window capture" and then it'll do periodic snapshots and display whatever is in that area.

Look forward to seeing this.

Great work

baz
2009-07-04, 03:12
One improvment idea is to continue the work with the metadata. As it looks today each played song is registered twice at Last.fm (if you are using that service).

Example: Both
Peter Tosh – Legalize It
and
Spotify – Peter Tosh – Legalize It
are registered as two separate songs.

Perhaps the "Spotify"-text in the metadata can be parsed out?

chp
2009-07-04, 08:17
New release time!

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090704-bin.zip

Changes:

- Metadata is now only sent when changed
- Improved error messages returned by HTTP server
- Added experimental support for streaming cover art
- Improved HTTP header parsing

Cover streaming seems to work, but sometimes (if you have scaled the window for example) the cover might end distorted with other window content.

Baz, yes, allowing you to strip content out of the window title is something that is in the plans. I'll add some good defaults when adding the configuration interface (which is up next).

baz
2009-07-04, 08:32
Once again, thanks for the new release.

I just wanted to give some positive feedback on the cover art function -- it works excellent for me.

Veggen
2009-07-04, 11:59
Cover art not working for me, only getting a black square.
Rest of the metadata is OK.
Spotify 0.3.17(rev.49173), SC 7.3.3, XP, both IE and opera is the same.

chp
2009-07-04, 15:55
Do you minimize Spotify before checking the cover? I noticed that the call I make actually cannot take snapshots of minimized windows. I have a fix coming, but it'll be a lower priority.

The workaround for now is just not minimize the window (it can be completely covered by other windows, just not minimized or in the systray).

Ramage
2009-07-05, 01:16
I'm running spotify under Wine on Ubuntu 9.04, but cannot get DSBridge to work.

I've put the DSBridge .dll and lame_enc.dll in the spotify directory but cannot connect to the stream using SC. I've tried localhost and the PC ip address.

Any ideas on how to get DSBridge to work in wine?

Veggen
2009-07-05, 02:04
Do you minimize Spotify before checking the cover?

No, the spotify window is fully open.

Christian Fredrik
2009-07-05, 02:06
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that this streaming alternative utilises the PC soundcards DA-converter. Therefore, the digital output from SB will probably have severly reduced quality. Am I right?

chp
2009-07-05, 07:17
New release to fix some issues with minimized and hidden windows:

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090705-bin.zip

Changes:

- Cover is no longer incorrectly offset if the window is not maximized
- Added some workarounds that will allow the cover to be extracted even if the window is minimized or hidden (or both)

Ramage, I do not have any desktop linux-installations running currently, but I can install one and take a look at why it is not working.

Veggen, then I'm not sure why you are seeing that result (I see no issues in either XP or W7). I have done some tweaks to the capturing code in this new release, so you could try it and see if it helps.

Christian Fredrik, luckily you are mistaken :). My solution is pure software and does not degrade the audio stream other than the transcoding to MP3 - when I get FLAC encoding implemented (yes, it's coming...) there will be no difference at all.

Martin43
2009-07-05, 08:16
This works great! :)
It seems like magic to me that just copying some files to the Spotify-folder makes it work. :) I'm using it with a Squeezebox v3.

I would like to be able to select the encoding bitrate. Since I'm using it at home on my LAN I would like to use 320kbit/s. It is easiliy possible to hear the transcoding when using 192kbit/s.

Maybe a simple configuration text-file? There's no need for any fancy GUI-features right now.

Veggen
2009-07-05, 08:28
Cover art now working, thanks!

Still some scaling/offset problems if using non standard size cover art in spotify, but this nitpicking, I am happy.

Glad to hear flac support is coming so that transcoding issues will be avoided.

Great work!

Peter314
2009-07-05, 09:27
I just tried this: it works brilliantly and is much easier than earlier workarounds. Metadata and cover art are all displaying nicely.

Many thanks!

Peter

pddf1
2009-07-05, 10:25
This works great. You da man

keep up the good work

chp
2009-07-05, 10:49
New release (second one today):

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090705_2-bin.zip

Changes:

- Added configuration file support
- Added title prefix stripping

Martin43, you read my mind :). I have tested 320kbps by tweaking the configuration file and it works great. I am however leaving it at 192kbps per default, but it's an easy change.

baz, title prefix stripping has been added.

Remember to copy the configuration file alongside the DLL now! Otherwise among other things cover art support will be disabled, since I now default it to off.

baz
2009-07-05, 10:57
Thanks again cph! The title prefix stripping is working great (thanks for adding that feature!!).

The DSBridge is the best piece of SW I have seen for a long time!!!

pddf1
2009-07-05, 11:25
Hi,

i've run into a problem with zone alarm security suite (ZA). When ZA is disabled DSBridge works fine with Spotify, but when running, the connection with squeeze center times out, and the system tray icon shows idle (blue).

I have given SC and Spotify full program permission in the program control panel.

i have also followed the logitech advice on 'configuring ZoneAlarm Internet Security 2008 so Squeezebox can connect to PC':

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=8565&p_created=1213807954

Any help much appreciated as DSBridge plus spotify is fantastic!

Thanks

Veggen
2009-07-05, 12:12
I have tested 320kbps by tweaking the configuration file and it works great. I am however leaving it at 192kbps per default, but it's an easy change.

Can I suggest using 320 as default?
Surely anyone running a SB setup has network capacity easily capable of that.
Is there any reason why 192 would be a better choice?

Of course looking forward to having flac as an option eventually.

Edit: Just tested the new version and edited the dsbridge.ini file changing MP3BitRate=320, seems to work fine!

Thanks again.

Martin43
2009-07-05, 12:20
Can I suggest using 320 as default?
Surely anyone running a SB setup has network capacity easily capable of that.
Is there any reason why 192 would be a better choice?

Of course looking forward to having flac as an option eventually.
As long as everyone can choose which bitrate to use, the default doesn't matter much.

Martin43
2009-07-05, 13:22
Having used DSBridge now for a couple of hours I can conclude that it works great!

Some observations:
My Squeezebox shows two values for the streaming buffer. The first value seems to be how many seconds that the Squeezebox has buffered itself, and the second value seems to be the size of the buffer in DSBridge.

When I change track or skip within a track the second value increases by about 1,8 seconds until it is up to 10 seconds in total. The first value very slowly increases to (to infinity?). If I pause Spotify the first value goes to zero (in real time), then the second value decreases to zero. If I hit play before it reaches zero the sound continous as if nothing happened, but the buffer levels are now lower than before.

The audio delay seems to be the sum of both values. After a long time the values can be 20/10 seconds. If I change track then, it takes 30 seconds before I hear the change (unless I pause playback for 28 seconds first, then the delay is down to two seconds).

Would it be possible to include a setting for buffersize in the .ini-file?
And why does it "jump" 1,8 seconds when I change track? Some "initial buffering" when Spotify starts to send data?

If the buffer size can't be reduced, maybe DSBridge can pause Spotify automatically every now and then to lower the buffer levels. This could be done by simulating the keyboard key "APPCOMMAND_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE". This works also when Spotify is minimized or not in focus.

I'm using 320kbit/s now and the sound is quite enjoyable!

chp
2009-07-05, 13:55
Martin43, yes, I am aware of the building delay that occurs during use, it's one of the top issues to fix right now. The two values you describe sound useful, where can I find them in SC?

For the cause, there might be data written that is not actually played in the source client, thus offsetting the stream. By more closely monitoring API calls I have a hunch that it can be solved.

Martin43
2009-07-05, 14:08
I'm using a plugin called "Music Information Screen" which replaces the default screensaver with a screen where you can customize everything that is shown on the display.
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-User Interface I have defined a format "PLAYLIST (X_Y) KBPS EXT BUFFER".
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-"My playername"-Music Information Screen I then select this format string to appear in the top left on the Squeezescreen.

When I listen to my own music it shows file format, bitrate and buffer in %.
When streaming it shows buffer in seconds x / y seconds as described above.

Ramage
2009-07-06, 01:42
Ramage, I do not have any desktop linux-installations running currently, but I can install one and take a look at why it is not working.

Thanks - no rush tho'

Ramage
2009-07-06, 02:04
Running the latest version on a windows box and it works well.

This is a great piece of software, and getting better by the day.

coppo23
2009-07-06, 02:10
Hi - this is brilliant - thanks! I have tried it with multiple clients - eg winamp on a pc and transporter. One works - the other locks up. This isn't my main intended use - but syncing is.

If I try syncing all players - it mostly works - but you get gaps - occasionally 5-10 seconds long. Is that a known issue? - anything I can tweak to inprove it?

(I am using 320k - the network is all wired and all players (except SB1) perform network test flawlessly at the highest bit rate.)

(whs - transporter, duet x2, temporarily disconnected SB1)

vasik
2009-07-06, 05:58
Thanks, works like a charm!!! Have one question - how can I point the Duet to the IP from controller? I'm able to point it to the IP adress from PC, but didn't find a possiblity to point it there from controller... Thanks

coppo23
2009-07-06, 07:10
I just added a favourite with url http://192.168.0.30:8124/ Just substitute your spotify PC address.

Cheers

Coppo

vasik
2009-07-06, 08:22
That's the trick...:-) Thanks!

stefanolo
2009-07-06, 13:59
I'm using a plugin called "Music Information Screen" which replaces the default screensaver with a screen where you can customize everything that is shown on the display.
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-User Interface I have defined a format "PLAYLIST (X_Y) KBPS EXT BUFFER".
Under Squeezeserver-Settings-"My playername"-Music Information Screen I then select this format string to appear in the top left on the Squeezescreen.

@ Martin43!

Really like the info on your SB-screen. Where did you get the plugin? I like it and would like to have it.

@chp

Thank you very much for your work. A wonderful little tool you have created. A question: Where do I set the bitrate? Is it in the Spotify preferences? I would like to have the highest possible/320 bps.

/s

stumble
2009-07-06, 14:00
Hi,

I have followed the instructions without success. The systray icon is always blue.

I obtained my IP address from my ISP and entered it as instructed.

On the squeezecentre the timer plays for a few seconds and then goes back to 00. On the controller it says "Connect Timed Out"

Can anyone help with this final section

Thanks

S

chp
2009-07-06, 14:25
coppo23, no, currently only one client is supported, and due to the way the HTTP server currently schedules traffic (= it doesn't) the first client will starve all others. I also have not tested syncing players.

stefanolo, edit dsbridge.ini and change MP3BitRate from 192 to 320.

stumble, your ISP ip is probably not the one you need (if you are using a router you will have a private IP that is correct). Run 'cmd', and then 'ipconfig' in the window that appears. The IPv4 listed for your primary connection should be the one you use when constructing the URL.

stefanolo
2009-07-06, 14:51
@ chp: Thanks! You see, I'm an absolute idiot when it comes to "programming". Is there anywhere els I can see what the bitrate is when I'm playing? Squeezecenter?

/s

edit: spelling

stumble
2009-07-06, 16:19
Thanks CP - I worked it out (the hard way) but delighted with the result.

S

Laz
2009-07-07, 04:10

chp,

I suspect this is dumb question, but should it be possible for me to use this as a wrapper for iTunes? (Not as silly as it sounds - I want to stream audio from iTunes movies to another location - I use the SB normally when I'm listening to my own library).

Anyway, I have done the obvious and dropped the dsbridge and the lame dlls in the directory. The red error icon comes up briefly and then disappears altogether when iTunes comes up.

Could you let me know if:

a) What I'm trying to do should be feasible?
b) Any suggestions as to changes I could make to get the system working?

Cheers,

Laz

Gurkburk
2009-07-07, 07:39
Thanks chp, this looks really promising, but I can't get the Squeezebox to play the music from my Spotify computer, it only says buffering.

I have put the files in the spotify dir, restarted spotify, add a new favorite in Squeezecenter http://192.168.0.183:8124/ which is my computer ip that runs spotify. The little green DSBridge icon in systray are green.

Tried to disable Windows firewall but no success.
I'm running Win7 RC1 on my computer and Squeezecenter on Windows Home Server.

chp
2009-07-07, 08:52
Laz, I did look into iTunes right now, and it seems that it happens because the networking is not initialized when I need it to be. However, I tried adding a configurable delay to when the HTTP server is initializing, and that did the trick and I got music streaming. One issue I noticed is that iTunes is controlling the volume in software, so I'll go ahead and add an option to mute the source when someone is connected.

This will go into the next release.

Gurkburk, if the icon is green it means it is connected. Does the icon turn green before you connect with SC? It does sound like data is not flowing to that client, I do not support more than one client at this time. I have had this running on W7 RC1 successfully.

Gurkburk
2009-07-07, 09:24
chp: The icon turns green after I press play on the Squeezebox.
Then it just says "buffering" and it keeps going like that for like a minute to buffer 100% then it just restart buffering from 0%.
Can any firewall on the Squeezecenter server have anything to with this?

Just tried to FW off and no difference.

Edit: Just a question, what do you mean by "I do not support more than one client at this time", is it Squeezebox client or operating system?

chp
2009-07-07, 10:02
New release time!

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090707-bin.zip

Changes:

- Now loads configuration from the module path, not current directory
- HTTP server can now both delay creation (to allow for the hosting application
to initialize) and initialize networking on its own
- Added support to mute the source while streaming
- Encoder now rate-limits reading data from the input buffer to prevent read-
ahead and drifting
- RingBuffer can now discard data from the tail
- added some re-parsing of dashes

This release contains corrections that should improve the drifting; it does cut off a tiny bit of sound when it stops playing, but I'm working on that.

It also does some fixes for iTunes support - this does require the new dsbridge.ini or it will not work. Also the status icon will not be visible.

Also, I switched the bitrate to 320kbps per default for both Spotify and iTunes (still 192kbps if not configured), and it will mute the sound when you start streaming (so you don't have to mute the application itself). If you do not like this behaviour, change MuteWhileStreaming to 0 for the application that you are using. All of this is in dsbridge.ini.

chp
2009-07-07, 10:22
Laz, the new release will work with iTunes, just make sure to drop everything in the bin/ folder into the iTunes directory. Do note that if your music is not 44.1kHz stereo, there will be issues.

Gurkburk, I'm talking about streaming client, so for example if you connect Winamp AND SqueezeCenter, only one will get data.

Gurkburk
2009-07-07, 10:37
chp, OK Now I understand, I have noticed that the Squeezebox can fetch the metadata, but still buffering. Any ideas what it could be?

Martin43
2009-07-07, 10:43
@ Martin43!

Really like the info on your SB-screen. Where did you get the plugin? I like it and would like to have it.

@chp

Thank you very much for your work. A wonderful little tool you have created. A question: Where do I set the bitrate? Is it in the Spotify preferences? I would like to have the highest possible/320 bps.

/s

If you like it you should see how it looks like when playing your local music and all tags work. :)

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php?nr=446

lazpete
2009-07-07, 10:52
chp, thx for this app! Suddenly i got use for my wifes netbook :)

stumble
2009-07-07, 11:32
Hi CHP

Any plans to support windows media player 11?

Ta

S

chp
2009-07-07, 11:43
Gurkburk, if it manages to fetch metadata it means that something is reading at least, because that data is posted every 45kB in the stream. Do you get cover art as well? That is posted on the next run after posting the title.

Other than that I don't have any ideas. :(

chp
2009-07-07, 11:45
stumble, no plans currently, no. I have not looked at what they are doing, but I would imagine it's slightly more complex than the luck I had with iTunes working basically out of the box.

stumble
2009-07-07, 11:51
stumble, no plans currently, no. I have not looked at what they are doing, but I would imagine it's slightly more complex than the luck I had with iTunes working basically out of the box.

CHP - no worries - spotify is doing quite nicely thanks to you. i noticed i-tunes support and hoped WMP was something as easy.

S

Gurkburk
2009-07-07, 13:06
Many thanks chp! :)
Now it works great, and for you others that are running Squeezecenter 7.4 for WHS, it doensn't work with this app, just installed 7.3.3 and everything are running fine.

baz
2009-07-07, 13:41
Hi chp!

Great stuff! FYI, I liked the function that mutes the sound when you start streaming (and I liked even more that you have made various functions configurable).

AlchemyToo
2009-07-07, 14:03
Great stuff.

Simple, and just works.

Thanks.

stumble
2009-07-07, 15:22
Hi chp!

Great stuff! FYI, I liked the function that mutes the sound when you start streaming (and I liked even more that you have made various functions configurable).

Hi CHP - how do I configure the functions?

chp
2009-07-07, 16:52
stumble, dsbridge.ini is a textfile with a list of options that can be changed. Open it in notepad and take a look. The format is as follows:

[executable name]
option=value

So for example if you want to change the MP3 encoding bitrate for Spotify, you do this:

[SPOTIFY.EXE]
MP3BitRate=256

Which would configure it to encode with 256kbps quality. The file in the bin-package contains sensible defaults for both Spotify and iTunes.

baz
2009-07-08, 02:14
Hi cph!

I noticed that the info regarding played songs are transmitted twice to last.fm after upgrading to the 090707-build (one from SC and one from Spotify?).

One solution is of cause to disable the "scrobbling to last.fm"-function in Spotify manually but I prefer not to do that. Any suggestions on what to do?

baz
2009-07-08, 02:16
Hi cph!

I noticed that the info regarding played songs are transmitted twice to last.fm after upgrading to the 090707-build (one from SC and one from Spotify?).

One solution is of cause to disable the "scrobbling to last.fm"-function in Spotify manually but I prefer not to do that. Any suggestions on what to do?

Hi again!

The "problem" listed above disappeared after restarting Spotify :-D

Laz
2009-07-08, 02:59
Laz, the new release will work with iTunes, just make sure to drop everything in the bin/ folder into the iTunes directory. Do note that if your music is not 44.1kHz stereo, there will be issues.

Hi chp,

Thanks for the update and my apologies for the delay in my reply - I suspect I'm on the opposite side of the world to you.

Things are looking better now but not quite there. I now get the blue icon for about half a second before it vanishes again (faster than I get my mouse down for a hover over).

I suspect my problem is that my copy of iTunes takes a very long time to fire up - of the order 3 to 10 seconds (I keep my library files on a network drive and thanks to Apples monolithic approach, I'm loading about 20 MB across the network). Is there any chance you can make the delay a configuration variable in the ini file so that I can experiment with this a bit further.

The other possibility is that I'm not set up for 44.1kHz output - am I correct in assuming that I need to do this in the Quicktime Control panel? I currently have all of my sound devices set to 44.1kHz 16 bit stereo.

I also have a quick suggestion for an interface option in the future. I really like the ability to mute the local output - it would be even more awesome if you could add a click on the icon option to select between three options of: Play local (pass through?), Stream, Play local and Stream.

Finally, I presume you aware that this code is likely to give Apple corporate types heartburn - they do so like their Bonjour solution with tie in to iTunes and Airport Express.

Thanks again for the good work.

Laz

vagskal
2009-07-08, 10:32
Hi cph!

1. I have the same symptom (double entries on Last.fm), and a restart of Spotify did not cure it.

2. The album artwork size and crop are not perfect yet, see attached image from iPeng. I tried to change the values in the .ini file, but did not understand how I should do. (The image shows the display with the default values.)

3. Sometimes the advertisements are played so fast that they are intelligible (perhaps because they are not 44.1kHz?). I know that the fix for this is to upgrade to Spotify premium, but I just wanted to let you know because the fast playback of the advertisements is even more annoying than hearing them at normal speed.

4. I think the stream from Spotify for non premium users is around 160kbps. Are there any benefits in sound quality with a higher bitrate than that set in DSBridge, where the default now is 320kbps?

BTW: Thanks for a very useful and simple utility! Great job!

Martin43
2009-07-08, 10:38
3. Sometimes the advertisements are played so fast that they are intelligible (perhaps because they are not 44.1kHz?). I know that the fix for this is to upgrade to Spotify premium, but I just wanted to let you know because the fast playback of the advertisements is even more annoying than hearing them at normal speed.

4. I think the stream from Spotify for non premium users is around 160kbps. Are there any benefits in sound quality with a higher bitrate than that set in DSBridge, where the default now is 320kbps?

BTW: Thanks for a very useful and simple utility! Great job!

3. This is perfect, since the music is interrupted for HALF THE TIME! :)

4. YES! Decoding the 160kbps ogg-stream from Spotify and then encode it using 160kps mp3 makes the sound quality worse. Both because transoding from lossless to lossless loses even more quality by the conversion itself, and because 160kbps ogg is better than 160kpbs mp3. After decompression, you should transfer it as "lossless" as possible. And 320kpbs mp3 is "almost" lossless.

vagskal
2009-07-08, 10:44
3. This is perfect, since the music is interrupted for HALF THE TIME! :)

4. YES! Decoding the 160kbps ogg-stream from Spotify and then encode it using 160kps mp3 makes the sound quality worse. Both because transoding from lossless to lossless loses even more quality by the conversion itself, and because 160kbps ogg is better than 160kpbs mp3. After decompression, you should transfer it as "lossless" as possible. And 320kpbs mp3 is "almost" lossless.

3. I am afraid not, the time for interruption of the playback of the music seems to be the same because the time that is gained by the fast playback of the advertisement is replaced by silence (which you really need since the fast playback that occurs sometimes is really disturbing...). I think I will have to upgrade.

4. Thanks for the explanation!

Martin43
2009-07-08, 10:49
3. I am afraid not, the time for interruption of the playback of the music seems to be the same because the time that is gained by the fast playback of the advertisement is replaced by silence (which you really need since the fast playback that occurs sometimes is really disturbing...). I think I will have to upgrade.

4. Thanks for the explanation!

3. Ah! I'm just trying out the new version which doesn't have the problem with the buffer growing larger. This was actually a feature in the sense that the buffer could then be used to play the commercial twice as fast without any interruption of the music! :)
So after a commercial spot my buffer decreased with 5-15 seconds, but no interruption of playback.

kidstypike
2009-07-08, 10:49
2. The album artwork size and crop are not perfect yet, see attached image from iPeng. I tried to change the values in the .ini file, but did not understand how I should do. (The image shows the display with the default values.)

Make the left-hand pane wider in Spotify! (trial and error).

kidstypike

baz
2009-07-08, 10:54
1. I have the same symptom (double entries on Last.fm), and a restart of Spotify did not cure it.

Unfortunately I have the same problem again. The behavior of the "dubble entries" is however nondeterministic, some of the songs are showing up twice, some are just entered once.

FYI, I did not have this problem with earlier versions of DSBridge.

vagskal
2009-07-08, 10:56
Make the left-hand pane wider in Spotify! (trial and error).

Thank you! I did not even know that I could resize the windows in Spotify, but I succeeded to find the right size at once. (Much easier than trying to adjust the artwork settings in the .ini file, whatever purpose they may serve.)

vagskal
2009-07-08, 11:02
Unfortunately I have the same problem again. The behavior of the "dubble entries" is however nondeterministic, some of the songs are showing up twice, some are just entered once.

I, however, constantly get double entries in Last.fm.

avbryt
2009-07-08, 11:09
Just got an invitation yesterday for Spotify and finds this when googling
for possible solutions to get the sound to my squeezebox/speakers!!!

Ok, Im an technical idiot; do I need squeezecenter when using this? I have mp3tunes so I dont use it these days...

So I need to make the IP number of my computer a favourite on my squeezebox?

Thanks for answers!

Gazjam
2009-07-08, 11:22
Hi, Im late to the DSBRIDGE show, tried installing it and i havent a clue what im doing to be honest!

Sorry, but could someone break it down so a 4 year old could understand?

I'm running Spotify with a Squeezebox 3 and Ipeng.

Thanks very much.

baz
2009-07-08, 11:29
Hi, Im late to the DSBRIDGE show, tried installing it and i havent a clue what im doing to be honest!

Thanks very much.

Hi!

Have you followed the instruction in the second post in this thread? Have you installed lame_enc.dll?

vagskal
2009-07-08, 11:52

It is quite simple on Windows:

1. Close Spotify (right click on the Spotify tray icon and select Exit).

2. Find your Spotify folder (where spotify.exe is). It is usually under C:/Program/Spotify/.

3. Download DSBridge from http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090707-bin.zip. Put the files "DSound.dll" and "dsbridge.ini" in your Spotify folder.

4. Find on the Internet the file "lame_enc.dll", preferably v. 3.98.2 (hint: http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm). Put the file "lame_enc.dll" in your Spotify folder.

5. Start Spotify and play something. You will notice a new tray icon.

6. Go to your web browser and open SqueezeCenter (you will need a computer running SqueezeCenter to use DSBridge, I think). Go to Favourites and choose Edit. Choose New Favourite and type a name for the favourite (i.e. Spotify). If you are running Spotify on the same PC as SqueezeCenter: Type "http://localhost:8124/" as the url for your new favourite. - If you are running SqueezeCenter and Spotify on separate machines on a local network, you will have to find the IP address (on your local network, something like 192.168.....) of the machine running Spotify and type that instead of "localhost".

7. "Play" the new Spotify favourite, via the web interface or iPeng, and whatever is playing on Spotify will play on your SB3.

Good luck!

kidstypike
2009-07-08, 12:53
Still having problems with buffering. All seems fine for the first track, showing 0.0/2.5 on the Boom display, immediately it changes to the next track, the right hand value climbs to 10.0, then the left-hand value climbs to 78.6 (never higher), at this point it starts to skip.
All latest DSBridge files installed. Cover art & metadata perfect.

Any pointers?

kidstypike

stub1234
2009-07-08, 15:03

2. Find your Spotify folder (where spotify.exe is). It is usually under C:/Program/Spotify/.

3. Download DSBridge from http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090707-bin.zip. Put the files "DSound.dll" and "dsbridge.ini" in your Spotify folder.

4. Find on the Internet the file "lame_enc.dll", preferably v. 3.98.2 (hint: http://www.free-codecs.com/Lame_Encoder_download.htm). Put the file "lame_enc.dll" in your Spotify folder.

6. Go to your web browser and open SqueezeCenter (you will need a computer running SqueezeCenter to use DSBridge, I think). Go to Favourites and choose Edit. Choose New Favourite and type a name for the favourite (i.e. Spotify). If you are running Spotify on the same PC as SqueezeCenter: Type "http://localhost:8124/" as the url for your new favourite. - If you are running SqueezeCenter and Spotify on separate machines on a local network, you will have to find the IP address (on your local network, something like 192.168.....) of the machine running Spotify and type that instead of "localhost".

7. "Play" the new Spotify favourite, via the web interface or iPeng, and whatever is playing on Spotify will play on your SB3.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the instructions above - very clear for some with my limitations!

however, i have a problem, when i press play on my duet controller it says connecting, the blue tray turns green for a second or 2 and then goes back to blue and the controller says connection timed out.

can anyone help? (i have limited ability when it comes to these things!)

Thanks

Gazjam
2009-07-08, 15:11

Good luck!

Thankyou SO much, that did the trick!

Only thing I had to do was change "localhost" to my SpotifyPC's Ip Address and I was hearing music - great!

What a great contribution to the Squeezebox community - I salute you Sir!

stefanolo
2009-07-08, 15:41
If you like it you should see how it looks like when playing your local music and all tags work. :)

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php?nr=446

Thanks for all your help Martin43! It took me little while to navigate the inner universe of my SqueezeCenter but when I finally got it, it turned out perfectly. Really nice plugin!

/s

TCM
2009-07-08, 15:54
Well, now I'm up and running to. Just bought me a premium Spotify subscription and downloaded DSBridge. It took me less then 5 minutes to get started - excellent. And no "double entries" :).

Hej alla från Faktiskt :-D

Gazjam
2009-07-08, 16:10
You can stream it directly to your ipod as well I found.
Just create a shortcut for HTTP://"(your IP Address)":8124

Very cool feature, very handy.
I'm listening to Spotify and currently posting from my ITouch, - in the bath!

baz
2009-07-08, 23:58
Well, now I'm up and running to. Just bought me a premium Spotify subscription and downloaded DSBridge. It took me less then 5 minutes to get started - excellent. And no "double entries" :).

Hej alla från Faktiskt :-D

The DSBridge has resulted in that I have bought a premium Spotify subscription as well (320 kb/s > 160 kb/s).

avbryt
2009-07-09, 00:29
Hi again!

I have had problems installing squeezecenter, but now its running
and Vagskal made a great job making even me understand!!!

However, when trying to play it keeps connecting and eventually buffers but it takes a verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy llllooooooooong time, and theres no music.

Spotify stuff: The tray is green

Squeezecenter: I can only make it work by clicking squeezecenter.exe in the programs location not anywhere else. I have tried to use both localhost adress and my ip adress. The first doesnt work at all.

CHP is a hero!! I just want this to get going!!

Anybody out there that have any ideas??

regards Pierre

avbryt
2009-07-09, 09:18
Hurrah!!!!

I think Im gonna get myself a beer folks,
have a nice day and thanks for this splendid thing.

"I have tested 320kbps by tweaking the configuration file and it works great. I am however leaving it at 192kbps per default, but it's an easy change" -
How do I change the bitrate?

Pierre

baz
2009-07-10, 04:48
"I have tested 320kbps by tweaking the configuration file and it works great. I am however leaving it at 192kbps per default, but it's an easy change" -
How do I change the bitrate?

Pierre

1. Open the file "dsbridge.ini" with your editor of choice (Notepad works fine).
2. Change the value for MP3BitRate to what you want to change the bitrate to.
3. Save the dsbridge.ini.
4. Restart Spotify.

avbryt
2009-07-14, 01:16
Thank you baz!

Opened the dsbridge.ini file and the bitrate is 320. So theres no need to change it to a higher bitrate as the soundquality is at its best already.

P

Sir G
2009-07-15, 10:41

Good luck!

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. Did that, but I get the "connection timed out" on the SB. Any suggestions ?

vagskal
2009-07-15, 10:59
Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. Did that, but I get the "connection timed out" on the SB. Any suggestions ?

Thanks, but I am just an enthusiastic user of this excellent utility, not the author, so I really do not know what the problem might be for you.

Some guesswork:

1. Double check that you have the correct local IP-address of the computer running SqueezeCenter and have set the correct port (the ":8124" part), see item 6 on the list.

2. If you are running and Spotify on the same PC, substitute nevertheless "localhost" for the local IP-address of the PC.

3. Check if there is any software or hardware firewall blocking port 8124. If you are running and Spotify on different machines, you might have to set your router to allow connections on port 8124 to the machine running Spotify.

Good luck!

Musketeer
2009-07-15, 21:34
Hey chp, I just wanted to say thanks a lot for your efforts working on this and for sharing it with us. Hopefully one day Logitech and Spotify will give us an official plugin that allows full control with our remotes. But until then its great to have a working option!

cyruspower
2009-07-16, 04:59
Chp you are a legend....Vagskal you are the ultimate sidekick!

Like God and Jesus, Batman and Robin, Burns and Smithers.....awesome!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much.......parties will never be the same again.

Even better, I set up three Spotify accounts and can listen to different accounts on different floors of the house using different laptops/netbooks. Or we can synchronise three SBs over the house.

The netbooks make a great remote control that also have internet access.....

Now, if we can get DSBridge to work on an iPhone, we won't need full integration between Spotify and SB so desperately.........

P.S. Upstairs in my office I am using a bitrate of '8192' Kbps and pushing this through a system which includes a Cyrus VS.2 pre amp and an 8 Power power amp with B&W 684s and high end Chord Company cables. Sound great at this bitrate and so much better than by Squeezebox running internet radio. My PC is an ASUS Laptop with Intel Core2Duo CPU P8400 @2.26GHz and 4GB of memory. No drop outs and very little buffering. My netbooks are using a bitrate of '3072' Kbps with very little buffering and no drop outs.

whitman
2009-07-16, 10:01
Is there a way to get this running on a Mac?

RealElwood
2009-07-17, 00:50
Hi everyone,

found this thread, read it and started thinking.

Big thanks to the guys made this possible, i can now play iTunes and Spotify on my PS3, through these files together with "PS3 media server".

I've been trying everything before this, hi-jacking audio-out and reversing it to Audio-in both through hardware with a wire on the back panel and software with no luck. But this just worked. Thanks again....

Sir G
2009-07-17, 02:14
Thanks, but I am just an enthusiastic user of this excellent utility, not the author, so I really do not know what the problem might be for you.

Some guesswork:

1. Double check that you have the correct local IP-address of the computer running SqueezeCenter and have set the correct port (the ":8124" part), see item 6 on the list.

2. If you are running and Spotify on the same PC, substitute nevertheless "localhost" for the local IP-address of the PC.

3. Check if there is any software or hardware firewall blocking port 8124. If you are running and Spotify on different machines, you might have to set your router to allow connections on port 8124 to the machine running Spotify.

Good luck!

Did that and ... it works! Thank you very much for your time. I love this place.

Subsev
2009-07-17, 08:58
Hi, thanks for the instructions above - very clear for some with my limitations!

however, i have a problem, when i press play on my duet controller it says connecting, the blue tray turns green for a second or 2 and then goes back to blue and the controller says connection timed out.

can anyone help? (i have limited ability when it comes to these things!)

Thanks

I have the exact problem, hope anyone have an answer.

Subsev
2009-07-19, 13:47
I have the exact problem, hope anyone have an answer.
It works now! I typed in wrong ip number before. Sweet!

pete the feet
2009-07-19, 15:21
Have got Spotify showing in favourites URL: http://localhost:8124/
I can hear it on pc only. Duet handset shows "connecting" then "timed out".

I am running iTunes as music library which works well on a Vista laptop.

Router is connected via ethernet to Squeezebox due to previous rebuffer problems.

Previously tried Edcast/Icecast method not much luck there either.

Has anybody any suggestions?

avbryt
2009-07-20, 04:28
Hi

I would like to change mute when streaming to sound.
Now it says "1", what will I change to?

Pi

chp
2009-07-20, 06:56
Hi

I would like to change mute when streaming to sound.
Now it says "1", what will I change to?

Pi

Change it to 0.

avbryt
2009-07-20, 08:10
Thank you!

johmi
2009-07-20, 11:00
Hello!

I have still have a problem, even after following the step by step guide. I get a errormessage on my squeexebox saying

"connect timed out: bad file descriptor"

Does anyone have any suggestions?

/Mikael

whitman
2009-07-20, 14:14
Gentle bump: anyone know if this can be run on a Mac?

pete the feet
2009-07-21, 08:55
Hello!

I have still have a problem, even after following the step by step guide. I get a errormessage on my squeexebox saying

/Mikael

Is there anybody out there who knows?

pete the feet
2009-07-21, 13:43
Hello!

/Mikael

I had just the same problem see earlier post. Just changed url address in Squeezecenter to URL: http://198.168.1.4:8124/ instead of URL: http://localhost:8124/ The 192/168.1.1 is the address of laptop on my network still add the 8124 at the end.
It now works a treat, I'm sure I tried this before but maybe I didn't restart Spotify. Bit rate is only 192 as I am on free version of Spotify even though I have edited dsbridge from 192 to 320.
Am now listening to Illusions on a Double Dimple by Triumvirat, amazing what you can find on here, sounds good even at 192.
How are you connected to router? I found ethernet is the only way to connect router and squeezebox receiver.
May I also add that my Duet handset has packed in and I am operating off the laptop wirelessly to Squeezebox receiver. Who knows if this is anything to do with sudden success as I have been trying to resolve this for almost 2 weeks.

Best of luck

Pete

morberg
2009-07-22, 03:52
Gentle bump: anyone know if this can be run on a Mac?
Since it is a DLL and not a perl plugin for SqueezeCenter I'm pretty sure you can't.

whitman
2009-07-22, 05:19
Since it is a DLL and not a perl plugin for SqueezeCenter I'm pretty sure you can't.

Any of the clever people round these parts thinking of making one that can?

Ramage
2009-07-22, 07:14
I'm running spotify under Wine on Ubuntu 9.04, but cannot get DSBridge to work.

I've put the DSBridge .dll and lame_enc.dll in the spotify directory but cannot connect to the stream using SC. I've tried localhost and the PC ip address.

Any ideas on how to get DSBridge to work in wine?

chp:

Any advance on making DSBridge work under Wine. Is there anything I can do to help with troubleshooting?

johmi
2009-07-23, 06:44
Hi!

I recopied the package and this solved the problem.

/Mikael

Yps
2009-07-24, 04:35
Do I need to have SqueezeCenter running ?
I don´t want to have my server running, only my laptop with Spotify and Squeezebox directly to the laptop.

Regards, Magnus

David_A
2009-07-26, 05:24
Thanks for the application!

This just made Spotify mobile aswell. Using my Nokia phone with a Vnc viewer to control Spotify on my homecomputer. Then just catching up the stream on the internetradio application. With a mobile broadband, I always have access to all the music I want in my pocket.

chp
2009-07-27, 01:37
Just did a small bugfix release that should fix a crash that could occur when skipping or at the end of a track:

http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090727-bin.zip

I haven't been able to spend much time on this project currently, but I'll revisit it shortly. Things I'll be looking at:

- Audio resampling (didn't know ads were encoded in mono, I don't get any for some reason)
- Exposing application playback controls through HTTP API
- Support for more encoders (FLAC and Ogg Vorbis)
- Linux compatibility (If possible, haven't looked at why Wine isn't loading the DLL yet)

pelle3
2009-07-27, 08:37
Hi!

I can't get the higher bitrate working (320 kbps).
It shows 192 kbps in squeezecenter.

I've dropped the file dsbridge.ini, together with DSound.dll and lame_enc.dll in the spotify folder.

I have a premium account.

Any idea?

Everythings works perfect besides this. Thanks a lot!

Pelle

Labarum
2009-07-27, 08:41
Hi!

I've dropped the file dsbridge.ini, together with DSound.dll and lame_enc.dll in the spotify folder.

Any idea?

Pelle

Now if 320Kb/s works I'm in for it!

baz
2009-07-27, 14:22
Hi!

Any idea?

Pelle

Have you installed the latest version of DSBridge? It works fine for me (320 kbps), I did not have to do any changes in the dsbridge.ini-file at all.

pelle3
2009-07-27, 14:33
Have you installed the latest version of DSBridge? It works fine for me (320 kbps), I did not have to do any changes in the dsbridge.ini-file at all.

Thanks.
I was running SC and Spotify on different computers.
I have now installed SC on my netbook , the computer that I was using as a remote control for SC, and it is working fine now.

donster22
2009-07-27, 14:33
Hello

This works great for me apart from a 5 to 7 second delay when i change tracks. Is there any way around this or is that just a consequence of my network and the buffering?

thanks
don

kidstypike
2009-07-27, 15:09
Hello

This works great for me apart from a 5 to 7 second delay when i change tracks. Is there any way around this or is that just a consequence of my network and the buffering?

5 to 7 seconds, I could live with that! I'm getting upwards of 90 seconds. Have received no reply to post 94 in this thread yet.

kei009
2009-07-28, 03:16
Scrobbling to Last.fm works like a charm if you disable the scrobbling in Spotify. Otherwise both Spotify and Squeezecenter scrobbles the same song and it will appear twice in Last.fm.

It would be nice if possible to enter a line in the .ini-file to automatically disable the Spotify scrobbling when DSBridge is connected.

And thanks for the application! It's really awesome!

Mirage
2009-07-28, 15:43
First of all I like to thank chp for this great application! It made me buy Spotify Premium and it was easy to set up and works great, most of the time....

I have one small issue and don't know if DSBridge or something else is the problem. Sometimes I get interuptions in the music and my Squeezebox (Classic V3) starts buffring for a short while.

I have installed the plugin recommended here, thank you Martin43!

When I look at the answers from others in this tread it seems that most of you have pretty high values, compared to mine.
For me the first figures most of the time is 0.0-0.2, sometimes up to 0.5. The second figure is around 5.0 or a little less, sometime a little more.

It seems like my buffer in the Squeezbox is very small and that's wy I get the interuptions, the question is wy it is small?

I run DSBbridge at 320 kbps and the SB is connected via ethernet to a PC running XP Pro. I don't have these interuptions when listning to Spotify at the PC, neither do I have them when playing music from my harddrive.

Any suggestions? Is it a way to set a larger buffer in the SB?
I'm very thankful for all answers!

Regards,
Erik
Sweden

chp
2009-07-31, 09:34
It sounds like somehow the sound driver is not reporting proper playback information - this is what I rely on to rate limit the encoder. I'm not seeing this on any of the machines I have tested with, but I can imagine that there are plenty of lazy driver developers out there. :)

I'm testing a solution to this (tracking the timing information internally), and I can hopefully have a new version soon to address the problem (a few things to iron out first).

Mirage
2009-07-31, 15:20
If I understand correctly you mean that the driver for the sound card could be the problem. I will try to run DSBridge and Spotify from my laptop and see if it works better.

Thanks for your answer!

avbryt
2009-08-01, 23:24
Hi

I would really like to hear about iphone users and other "remote control" solutions to use at home as well (somebody wrote about VNC and Nokia phone).

How do you make it work?
Does it work well?
Was it worth the money spent?

Should I buy one?

Tell your stories...

nickname
2009-08-03, 09:05
I haven't been able to spend much time on this project currently, but I'll revisit it shortly. Things I'll be looking at:

- Linux compatibility (If possible, haven't looked at why Wine isn't loading the DLL yet)
This would be my favourite! I tried by myself and at least got the dsbridge icon to show under linux with wine. But trying to listen from a squeezebox leads to spotify crash :(

nickname777

WhaleOil
2009-08-03, 11:55
Just to add one more plea for anyone who is clever enough to get something like this to work on a Mac. This really does sound like it is just what I have been waiting for... tempted to shift my whole server system to a PC just for this if there is no way of easily achieving this on a Mac.

WhaleOil

Joaquin
2009-08-03, 12:23
Would love to stream spotify to my SB, but this seems to be a bit complicated. Is there another plugin or is this the one ?!

frisk
2009-08-03, 14:31
The installation procedure looked simple enough but I can't get it to work, perhaps someone can help me.

When starting spotify, dsbridge fires up and a blue dot appears in the task bar with hoover text "dsbridge, HttpServer. http://localhost:8124/

If I add a favourite http://192.168.1.4:8124 (I am certain of the ip) and click on it, the blue dot turns green but unfortunately for me, no music through my SB. Also, the music in my computers speakers also dissapears at this point. Squeezecenter complains, after some time, "(Error on HTTP socket: Bad file descriptor)".

It seems that something is streamed though. I tried directing my web reader at http://192.168.1.4:8124 and I got music through some quick time plugin.

Any thoughts or suggestions what to do? I use lame_end.cll version 3.98.2 and I have not modified dsbridge.ini

noguru
2009-08-04, 06:56
Just wanted to add my thanks to chp for a great job. Also vagskal for instructions even I could follow and gazjam for adding the final clue to substitute ip address for local host. They finally got me there, the final step in a system that does all I require of it.

Mike

peber
2009-08-04, 14:26
The installation procedure looked simple enough but I can't get it to work, perhaps someone can help me.

When starting spotify, dsbridge fires up and a blue dot appears in the task bar with hoover text "dsbridge, HttpServer. http://localhost:8124/

If I add a favourite http://192.168.1.4:8124 (I am certain of the ip) and click on it, the blue dot turns green but unfortunately for me, no music through my SB. Also, the music in my computers speakers also dissapears at this point. Squeezecenter complains, after some time, "(Error on HTTP socket: Bad file descriptor)".

It seems that something is streamed though. I tried directing my web reader at http://192.168.1.4:8124 and I got music through some quick time plugin.

Any thoughts or suggestions what to do? I use lame_end.cll version 3.98.2 and I have not modified dsbridge.ini

I've also have this problem from time to time... Usually it helps to restart spotify but after a day or so the problem comes back...? For now, try to restart spotify (exit from the spotify icon in the systray and then start it again...)

/Per

Jhawk
2009-08-05, 12:00
I must be quite stupid but im not been able to get this to work.

C/Program/Spotify
DSound.dll
lame_enc.dl (3.93.1.0)
dsbrige

C/Program/PS3 Media Server
WEB.conf
audiostream.Web,Radios=Spotify,83.254.48.200

Squeezebox:
Added 'Spotify' as favorite with my ip adress but when im trying to play it trought Squeezebok nothing happens.
I have tried to have it on localhost but with same result.

Please help me with this problem.

kidstypike
2009-08-05, 12:14
I must be quite stupid but im not been able to get this to work.

C/Program/Spotify
DSound.dll
lame_enc.dl (3.93.1.0)
dsbrige

C/Program/PS3 Media Server
WEB.conf
audiostream.Web,Radios=Spotify,83.254.48.200

Squeezebox:
Added 'Spotify' as favorite with my ip adress but when im trying to play it trought Squeezebok nothing happens.
I have tried to have it on localhost but with same result.

Please help me with this problem.

Open SqeezeCenter, Tune in URL, type http://YourIPaddress:8124/ where YourIPaddress is the address of the computer running SqueezeCenter. Save as a favourite. Open Spotify and start playing a track, start your Spotify favourite in SC.

Jhawk
2009-08-05, 14:06
Open SqeezeCenter, Tune in URL, type http://YourIPaddress:8124/ where YourIPaddress is the address of the computer running SqueezeCenter. Save as a favourite. Open Spotify and start playing a track, start your Spotify favourite in SC.

I have now addad a favorite called 'Spotify' on location:
http://83.114.28.200:8124

And when pressing on the favorite i get following message:
There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor)

Any clues? :)

Gary_W
2009-08-06, 09:54
I've managed to get this working using the instructions in this thread, so many thanks for making the plugin and making it understandable!

Please forgive this if it's a silly question, but...

Can I skip tracks with this? Because when I press the skip button on the remote it stops playback for a few seconds and buffers but it stays on the same track...

nicoleif
2009-08-09, 00:27
Is there rumours of when Spotify to be used on squeeze products will become official?

Labarum
2009-08-11, 07:17
Excuse what might seem a very basic question, but I have have not been following this very long thread.

Does the plug-in stream only the Spotify Radio Stations, or is it possible to select a particular album or even track?

If the latter is the interface cumbersome? How is data displayed in SC?

baz
2009-08-11, 09:16
Excuse what might seem a very basic question, but I have have not been following this very long thread.

Does the plug-in stream only the Spotify Radio Stations, or is it possible to select a particular album or even track?

If the latter is the interface cumbersome? How is data displayed in SC?

The plug-in streams whatever you are playing (ie radio stations, selected artists, albums, tracks, playlists...).

You use your normal Spotify-window to manage what you would like to play (ie you can not change artists etc by the Squeezebox remote or Squeezecenter). The full information (song title, artist, album (ie the information above the album art in the Spotify program)) is displayed and even the album art is displayed :-)

Labarum
2009-08-11, 10:20
The plug-in streams whatever you are playing (ie radio stations, selected artists, albums, tracks, playlists...).

Thanks. That is very good news. Will it work with premium membership and stream at the higher (320Kb/s) bitrate?

Does it bypass the Computer Operating System's audio engine, as when using a SB with ripped files on Hard drive?

baz
2009-08-11, 12:54
Thanks. That is very good news. Will it work with premium membership and stream at the higher (320Kb/s) bitrate?

Yes, it works fine with premium membership and streams at 320 kbps (it is actually configurable (changes are done in the file dsbridge.ini) and 320 kbps is the default streaming rate).

qalleanqa
2009-08-11, 17:41
I'm using dsbridge and spotify to stream to my nokia E66 phone which works well (picking it up with nokia internet radio). I'm also using the remote control app Salling Clicker that works with most phones and both win and mac. With a Spotify script by Joeker this remote controls basic functions and even shifts between playlists.

The remote Salling Clicker could of course control Spotify for whatever client (squeezebox etc) you are using.

I've proposed an integrated app with both dsbridge and a remote to the authers and we will see what happens?

stevem
2009-08-13, 04:04
Hi - just thought I'd pass on an excellent tip from the Spotify forums to use Nicecast to stream Spotify to a squeezebox. Great for non-expert users - like me! This is my first post so I can't include the URL but I'll send another with the link straight away if I can.

stevem
2009-08-13, 04:05
Hi - just thought I'd pass on an excellent tip from the Spotify forums to use Nicecast to stream Spotify to a squeezebox. Great for non-expert users - like me! This is my first post so I can't include the URL but I'll send another with the link straight away if I can.
and here is the link <http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/can_you_stream_to_a_squeezebox>

Labarum
2009-08-13, 04:11

This?

http://rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

An Apple only application?

Thanks Stevem. Just copy the URL to the page and the board software will turn it into a clickable link.

jorgg
2009-08-13, 08:25
And when pressing on the favorite i get following message:
There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor)

Any clues? :)

Try to first write the address with localhost:8124. Then overwrite localhost with http://ip.add.re.ss:8124/ where ip.add.re.ss is your ip adress.

DrNic
2009-08-13, 09:51
Just a quick message to say what a great little addon this is!
Absolutely no problems with the setup - it just worked!!
Now a quick question (!): say I wanted to use a program like Castripper to record the adverts for posterity? I had a go (in the name of science of course) and directed it to the URL with :8124 - the tray icon went green, castripper thought it was recording something too. But alas nothing was stored! I know it works as I use to occasionally record Shoutcast streams for shows that I would otherwise miss... Any ideas?

Nic

Labarum
2009-08-13, 10:06
Some help please.

I have copied dsbridge and lame to the Spotify folder.

When I run Spotfy I get the blue spot in the tray and it says localhost:8124

Nothing from the SB

I tried editing the ini file so its says http://ip.add.re.ss:8124/ (with my numbers of course).

I cannot save the ini file where it is and I have admin rights. I have to make take a second copy from downloads and copy that into the Spotify folder.

Even when I do that spotify will not read the ini file (I think) - it report localhost 0)

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to take any action in SC, or will Spotify just take over the SB when I run it.

A rather longer and more detailed readme would be a big help for dumbos like me.

An example of exactly how the inifile should look would also be a help

HTTPPort=8124

HTTPPort=http://192.168.1.103:8124/

HTTPPort=192.168.1.103:8124/

HTTPPort=192.168.1.103:8124

Which? Or doesn't it matter?

DrNic
2009-08-13, 10:25
Labarum,
You really shouldn't need to edit the ini file. When you play something on Potify and the blue spot appears in the tray then you have to go to Squeezecenter and use "Tune in URL". Enter here the address of spotify machine: ie if spotify is running on 192.168.1.60:8124 enter "http://192.168.1.60:8124" in the URL and tune in to it.
You should now be getting the music that you started playing on spotify.
This works for me even bearing in mind that my spotify is running on a seperate XP box from the SC running on a Linux server.
Nic

Some help please.

I have copied dsbridge and lame to the Spotify folder.

When I run Spotfy I get the blue spot in the tray and it says localhost:8124

Nothing from the SB

I tried editing the ini file so its says http://ip.add.re.ss:8124/ (with my numbers of course).

I cannot save the ini file where it is and I have admin rights. I have to make take a second copy from downloads and copy that into the Spotify folder.

Even when I do that spotify will not read the ini file (I think) - it report localhost 0)

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to take any action in SC, or will Spotify just take over the SB when I run it.

A rather longer and more detailed readme would be a big help for dumbos like me.

An example of exactly how the inifile should look would also be a help

HTTPPort=8124

HTTPPort=http://192.168.1.103:8124/

HTTPPort=192.168.1.103:8124/

HTTPPort=192.168.1.103:8124

Which? Or doesn't it matter?

Labarum
2009-08-13, 10:39
Labarum,
You really shouldn't need to edit the ini file. When you play something on Potify and the blue spot appears in the tray then you have to go to Squeezecenter and use "Tune in URL". Enter here the address of spotify machine: ie if spotify is running on 192.168.1.60:8124 enter "http://192.168.1.60:8124" in the URL and tune in to it.
You should now be getting the music that you started playing on spotify.
This works for me even bearing in mind that my spotify is running on a seperate XP box from the SC running on a Linux server.
Nic

Thanks. Got that working straight away.

I am sure the instructions must be there somewhere, but the thread is now so long . . .

As I said, some more explicit instructions in the Readme, or somewhere would be really useful for dumbos.

If I pay Spotify 99p for a day subscription do I get to try out the 320Kb/s streams?

Labarum
2009-08-15, 01:38
I have been dipping in to Spotify for a couple of days now.

I do not think the Classical recordings I have listened to at 160 are as good as the best Classical Internet Radio Stations I listen to.

I presently listening to

Title: Venice Classic MP3 128
URL: http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=4975&filename=playlist.

which I believe to better Spotify via DSbridge, and I rate

Title: Radio Swiss Classic MP3 128
URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s25582&Formats=mp3,wma,real&username=sampletime&PartnerId=16

Both of these are MP3 streams at 128. I listen to even better streams.

I am guessing the transcoding is exacting a price, and with an official solution to Spotify on Squeezebox we may see an improvement at 160.

I have not been able to assess quality at 320.

Do folk agree with me that much as it is a valuable advance, Spotify via DSbridge at 160 lags behind the best internet radio?

Ryssen
2009-08-18, 12:24
Why not use Wav as output format?

Labarum
2009-08-18, 12:27
Why not use Wav as output format?

And how would I do that?

Ryssen
2009-08-18, 12:33
Well,I don´t know..I thought you knew..
So you need an encoder to make it work?
Would Flac work?

Edit:The "wavinput" pluggin,how does it work?It uses wav.

tme
2009-08-19, 04:58
Hi all - streaming spotify is great and all but I am looking into how we might have a full plugin with all the lists and controls etc. On linux I can run spotify under wine under xvfb and trace text output to scrape track names etc and inject x11 events to control it, eg:

$ WINEDEBUG=+text wine spotify.exe
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"Home", 4, [(28,61)-(229,79)] 00008824
trace:text:DrawTextExW Params: iTabLength=0, iLeftMargin=0, iRightMargin=0
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"Radio", 5, [(28,80)-(229,98)] 00008824
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"Play queue", 10, [(28,99)-(229,117)] 00008824
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"Amy Macdonald", 13, [(28,128)-(229,146)] 00008824
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"amy mcdonald", 12, [(28,147)-(229,165)] 00008824
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"anis", 4, [(28,166)-(229,184)] 00008824
trace:text:DrawTextExW L"john mayer", 10, [(28,185)-(229,203)] 00008824
...etc...

then with some perl filtering on magic numbers can give appropriate data:

LIST: [1] Amy Macdonald
LIST: [2] amy mcdonald
LIST: [3] anis
LIST: [4] john mayer
LIST: [5] amelie
ITEM: [0] Who Did You Think I Was - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 4:23 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
ITEM: [1] Bold As Love - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 8:38 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
ITEM: [2] Good Love Is On The Way - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 4:19 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
ITEM: [3] Vultures - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 5:20 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
ITEM: [4] Belief - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 6:03 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
ITEM: [5] Come When I Call - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 3:23 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
ITEM: [6] Out Of My Mind - Live at the Nokia Theatre / John Mayer / 10:11 / Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles
...etc...

then injecting clicks and pops to select tracks and do searches etc is straightforward using xdotool, eg list select:

$ xdotool mousemove 64 190
$ xdotool click 1

so all that remains is to scoop up all this metadata and build it into some sort of SC plugin. Any helpers? this could also work on windows using one or more gdi hooks - using the same plugin for both would be great.

bpa
2009-08-19, 05:05
Edit:The "wavinput" pluggin,how does it work?It uses wav.

The wavinput plugin will work with Spotify although as SPotify meses with audio, I believe it is a bit picky about how you start WavINput and Spotify.

WaveInput makes a copy of the PCM output from Windows audio subsystem using ther "What U hear" or similar feature of audio driver which means if the Windows mangles/enhances/upsamples the audio - you get a copy of the mangled/ehancmed/upsampled audio.

DeSpotify should be able to deliver a PCM which could be handled by the wavin2cmd.exe app and so feed the PCM directly into SC without any encoding - the only drawback is Spotify will have to play on same PC as SC.

nicoleif
2009-08-19, 06:41
I have a question, it's a little off topic. Does anyone know if the upcoming official Spotify plugin for SC wil be able to run on qnap?

nickname
2009-08-20, 22:56
Hi all - streaming spotify is great and all but I am looking into how we might have a full plugin with all the lists and controls etc. On linux I can run spotify under wine under xvfb and trace text output to scrape track names etc and inject x11 events to control it, eg:
That means you can run the plugin under Linux with wine? How do you do that? How do i have to configure wine to use the dsbridge.dll?
nickname

Ryssen
2009-08-21, 14:00
I´m trying this wrapper,but I get a blue dot and nothing more.I have done an entry in favorits in SC7 with the IP adress,this is what I get when clicking it:Ett fel uppstod när fjärrflödet för lästes in: (Connect timed out: Transport endpoint is not connected)
What´s wrong?

tme
2009-08-24, 05:52
That means you can run the plugin under Linux with wine? How do you do that? How do i have to configure wine to use the dsbridge.dll?
nickname

i've not tried it - it's not necessary as you can just use waveinput &co.

peber
2009-08-26, 23:46
Don't know if anyone has asked this before but is there some way to lower the output signal from dsbridge/spotify a la replaygain? Since I use replaygain when playing flac I have to remember to lower the volume before connecting to dsbridge not to shock the neighbors or myself...

/Per

robroe
2009-08-28, 02:15
Now there is an official app for the iPhone I hope someone is working on an official Squeezecenter plugin so I can actually choose the song from the player.

Nice work with this workaround though!

KMorgan
2009-08-28, 06:35
As soon as Spotify gets integrated with Squeeze, the way Napster presently is, I'll be jumping ship and taking out a subscription.

Well done indeed!

Keith

Ryssen
2009-08-28, 13:45
I´m trying this wrapper,but I get a blue dot and nothing more.

Got it working now...

erland
2009-09-01, 10:59
Is it possible to get the artwork to work on the Controller ?

It works in iPeng and in web interface but not on the Controller. The controller just shows the now playing screen with no album cover.

Is this a limitation of the Controller firmware ?

erland
2009-09-01, 11:39
Has anyone succeeded to get this to playback on a Controller (with audio playback enabled) ?

My controller seems to crash immediately after I start to play the DSBridge(Spotify) stream.

kidstypike
2009-09-01, 12:16
Is it possible to get the artwork to work on the Controller ?

It works in iPeng and in web interface but not on the Controller. The controller just shows the now playing screen with no album cover.

Is this a limitation of the Controller firmware ?

Artwork doesn't usually show on the controller (when connected to my Boom) for the first track, but when it changes to the next track, it shows for for this and all tracks thereafter.

When tring to play the Spotify stream on the controller as a player, it freezes immediately, and after a while reboots.

mikk64
2009-09-02, 12:09
that's the problem...
when i use spotify with nothing in the directory, everything is good...i simply listen to the music from the computer
but if i put in the folder dsound.dll and dsbridge.ini (version dsbridge-20090727-bin) and start spotify, as soon as i start play something, it crashes without any message...
any idea? any help, please?
thanks!
i really appreciate all your efforts!

mctubster
2009-09-05, 02:41
In case people are searching for Spotify Streaming on OSX, I can confirm that Windows Spotify and DSBridge streaming works well in Parallels 4.

With Coherence mode on, only the font and minimize positions give away it is not a native application.

Thanks again to the author.

KMorgan
2009-09-05, 08:54
Hi CHP

I believe you were looking at converting the Ogg Vorbis stream to FLAC for onward streaming to our squeezethings, thus avoiding further losses. Any progress on this? I would probably take out a Premium sub if it can be done.

Tks again for your work on this. Works great on my setup.

Keith

omega12
2009-09-06, 14:00
i've not tried it - it's not necessary as you can just use waveinput &co.

Using Wine under Linux works as long as you:

1. Open up your linux firewall to allow traffic on TCP port 8124
2. Install the dsound.dll and lame_enc.dll files in the Spotify directory as per the normal Windows installation.
3. Under the libraries tab in winecfg, add "lame_enc" and "dsound" DLL libraries as "native, builtin" and apply.

Hope that helps.

woodster
2009-09-08, 03:48
Hi there,

I have also had the DSBridge-dll running under Wine - but only for a few secs. or maximum for one song (I did the same as omega12). Then it pops up with a http-error, and the controller just writes buffering.

Anyone got a clue how to get this working with wine?

Woodster

brandcore
2009-09-08, 04:10
I have a problem!
When spotify is in paus= i have dsbridge green ball
But when i put spotify in playmode the green ball gets blue?
please help me.. I have tried about 10 hours but i nevere get it to work..
And when i play in squeezebox it stans connection timed out..

paal_b
2009-09-08, 04:27
I just had to try it, and it works great!

- I copied DSound.dll and dsbridge.ini into Program Files/MediaMonkey (lame_enc.dll was already there)
- started Mediamonkey
- started Squeecenter and tuned to http://_my_IP_:8124, pressed Play
- Boom! The sound from MM directly to my stereo!

OK, I get a 5-6 second delay after changing tracks in MM (versus 1-2 seconds from Spotify), and the sound dropped out once of twice while testing, but there's very little tweaking necessary to make this work, too!

Fantastic! :-)

omega12
2009-09-08, 05:49
Hi there,

I have also had the DSBridge-dll running under Wine - but only for a few secs. or maximum for one song (I did the same as omega12). Then it pops up with a http-error, and the controller just writes buffering.

Anyone got a clue how to get this working with wine?

Woodster

I've also experienced this a few times and found that the following fixes variously work:

1. Make sure that you only have one Spotify session running under linux.
2. Make sure that TCP port 8124 is LISTENing (check via "netstat -na | grep 8124") in a terminal session. If you have any other entries other than just 1 LISTEN entry then either a duplicate or old session is also running. Close or kill any other sessions.
3. Other than that reboot linux, as sometimes DSBRIDGE's http server just gets confused and needs a reset.

Hope that helps.

woodster
2009-09-08, 12:26
Hi,

still having problems with wine, Spotify and dsbridge.

I am running a single instance of Spotify, and tried to check with netstat - here I get than only one is set to LISTEN.

What is there else to do? Does anyone have this running without any problems?

brandcore
2009-09-08, 15:18
Now i get the green ball but i hear nothing in my speakers.
I only get Conection time out on my squeezebox all the time?
Whats the problem??

Ramage
2009-09-09, 02:17
I've also experienced this a few times and found that the following fixes variously work:

1. Make sure that you only have one Spotify session running under linux.
2. Make sure that TCP port 8124 is LISTENing (check via "netstat -na | grep 8124") in a terminal session. If you have any other entries other than just 1 LISTEN entry then either a duplicate or old session is also running. Close or kill any other sessions.
3. Other than that reboot linux, as sometimes DSBRIDGE's http server just gets confused and needs a reset.

Hope that helps.

I'm having this problem also, running ubuntu 9.04.

DSBridge sometimes starts OK and will run, with just one instance open on port 8124. On song changeover on Spotify, I get the http failure, and netstat then shows multiple instances viz:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8124 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.84:31255 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:34960 192.168.1.65:8124 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:34959 192.168.1.65:8124 FIN_WAIT2
tcp 1 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.65:34959 CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.65:34960 ESTABLISHED

Exiting Spotify gives me:

tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.84:31255 TIME_WAIT
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.65:34960 TIME_WAIT

Subsequent attempts to connect to DSBridge gives the http exception error and netstat shows multiple instances.
After allowing the tcp instances to close restarting spotify restores one TCP instance LISTENing on 8124, attempts to connect thro DSBridge gives http exception and multiple TCP threads, different to above:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8124 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:37024 192.168.1.65:8124 FIN_WAIT2
tcp 1 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.65:37024 CLOSE_WAIT
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:37025 192.168.1.65:8124 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.84:31256 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 192.168.1.65:8124 192.168.1.65:37025 ESTABLISHED

Can anyone throw any light on what is happening here?

erland
2009-09-09, 22:03
Has anyone succeeded to get this to playback on a Controller (with audio playback enabled) ?

My controller seems to crash immediately after I start to play the DSBridge(Spotify) stream.

Just for information, this now seems to be solved with the latest 7.4 Controller beta firmware.

woodster
2009-09-14, 00:16
Hi,

are there any news on getting the dsbridge solution to run under WINE?

I see the same when running netstat as Ramage does.

Could it be that another dll in wine needs to be set to native instead of builtin.... regarding the http-server part in the dll?

Munge
2009-09-16, 04:27
I run dsbridge successfully under Wine on a couple of PCs (following the instruction provided by omega12). The multiple instances (netstat) was resolved when I restarted.

woodster
2009-09-17, 00:13
Hi Munge,

are you doing anything special than omega12, using a specific wine version, linux distro or ...?

I just tried again yesterday, and still the same - always receiving 'http-error'. Even diabled the firewall completely, but no difference....

Any other suggestions ...?

Munge
2009-09-17, 00:33
I run Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04, Wine 1.0.0, Lame 3.98.2, dsound.dll is dated 27 July. The only change I can think of is that I disabled CoverArt in the ini file since I don't need it.

Ramage
2009-09-17, 01:03
I run Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04, Wine 1.0.0, Lame 3.98.2, dsound.dll is dated 27 July. The only change I can think of is that I disabled CoverArt in the ini file since I don't need it.

After I disabled cover art Spotify works OK with wine. The clue was there all the time because the http error happened when the track was changing along with the cover art, and 2 new ip ports were opened.

@chp: any possibility of a fix for this problem?

woodster
2009-09-17, 11:54
Hi,

I must say that Ramage is right - after disabling the coverpart it seems to work.

So far so good - it would be nice with the cover though... it looks quite cool.
Hopefully someone can figure out what happens ....

woodster
2009-09-18, 00:14
Hi there,

I have had a quick look at the source-code for the dsbridge dll.

The cover extractor part uses the gdiplus.dll - perhaps there is some dependencies to WinXp, or at least the gdipluss.dll should be set to native in the wine setting.

I will try this later ...

Ramage
2009-09-18, 01:49
Hi there,

I have had a quick look at the source-code for the dsbridge dll.

The cover extractor part uses the gdiplus.dll - perhaps there is some dependencies to WinXp, or at least the gdipluss.dll should be set to native in the wine setting.

I will try this later ...

I tried adding gdiplus to wine libraries, but http error still ocurred on song changeover. Any other possibilities?

2009-09-18, 05:43
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I've now got Spotify rocking through my Squeezebox and B&W speakers. Perfect.

To get your pc's ip address:

Click the Start button, select Run
Type CMD and press Enter.
A Command prompt window will open. Type ipconfig and press Enter.
Several lines of information will be displayed. The IP address looks like "149.72.61.234" - yours will probably have different numbers near the end.

avbryt
2009-09-21, 05:33
Hi, is it possible to run the spotifyapp and integrate DSBridge on an Itouch and control the music to the Squeezebox?

Ryssen
2009-09-25, 07:51
The music stops for a second or 2 every 4 minutes,is it buffering?Is there a way to avoid this?

Yps
2009-09-26, 03:01
I tried to add the link to my spotify-pc in Squeezenetwork, but it will not connect. Have someone else manage to get dsbridge to work with Squeezenetwork ?

Declan Moriarty
2009-09-27, 16:04
It won't work with SqueezeNetwork. DSBridge streams (broadcasts) spottify over you lan from your PC. Spottify normally runs from your PC anyway. If you don't use DSBridge you have to use the Wave Input plugin. DSBridge generates an mp3 stream from anything that uses DirectSound. It also makes DirectSound sound better! Since SqueezeNetwork doesn't use your PC you can't use it with Spottify or DSBridge or Wave Input Plugin. All these things require SqueezeCenter.

Ryssen
2009-10-04, 16:02
My DSBridge has wacket out..It only plays for a few seconds,I have red the whole tread and tried every suggestion.
Why does it do like this and waht is the solution?

Edit:Installed Squeeze server 7.4 and it seems to work now....
Edit 2: CHP are you planing to get this working with Wav or FLAC??

jonost63
2009-10-11, 13:53
Instead of the artists name and song I only see the text "DP_LocalAvatar" on my squeezebox devices. I also would like to see the cover from the album. How is this possible? It seems to be somthing specific for me since no one else has aked for this on the forum.

By the way, it is an excelent function you have shared with us!

TMS
2009-10-19, 05:02
Thanks for this. Works fine :)
Now if the stupid squeezebox server would be smart enough to not use proxy for local addresses, everything would be fine.
Took me a while to remember to open ports in the servers fire wall :)

HansAndersHansson
2009-10-21, 07:00
I guess these questions must be really stupid for most of you :-)

I run a 'free' version of Spotify, I run SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 on a ReadynNAS Duo, connected to a Squeezebox Duet (the remotecontrol thing).

So I have copied the two mentioned files (.dll) to the Spotify directory (without any 'unzip' or 'running' of the files).

When I restart Spotify it still produces music through the PC sound system (do not know if that should be still working or not).

Where in Squeezecenter should I find the new 'channel' or 'source' or whatever we call it?

As you see I would appreciate instructions that a four-yearold could use.

_mikey
2009-10-21, 12:39
Works excellently for me. Thanks a bunch, chp!

In the SC web interface I just went to Internet Radio, Tune In URL, and entered "http://192.168.108.11:8124/" (without the "), the IP address being the IP address of the computer that runs Spotify, since my SC is on a different computer in my LAN.

Or you can go through Music Library, Favorites and add the same address as a favorite, like HansAnders describes. Both work for me.

HansAnders, for me Spotify plays in my computer speakers as well, but it's out of sync with the SB, so I just mute it. But apart from this and the instrutions of the very first and second posts of this thread, I did nothing else and it works for me.

HansAndersHansson
2009-10-21, 13:21
Spectacular, the SC software required a few restarts more tha what should be necessary. It works !!

jaaen
2009-10-21, 13:54
Works brilliantly.
Thanks a lot for sharing your work.
I am enjoying the fruits!

svantiloop
2009-10-23, 04:50
Hi there!

is there anyone who had tried this on Squeezebox Boom and got it to work probably? I can´t change HTTP-port in my Squeezebox - after i change it in the controllpanel it chages back to standrad (9000) again. Anyone who knows how to configure this correct? I can stream music from Spotify throug my.ip:8124 (have tried it in Internet Explorer and it works). But i can´t get the sound to my Squeezebox

I have Squeexebox Server ver. 7.4.1
Link to my Squeezbox:
logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/4707&cl=gb,en

Have a nice weekend!

Brian Ritchie
2009-10-24, 16:31
... but not any more. Since last time I got DSBridge to work, I've "upgraded" to 7.4 (and then 7.4.1). Tonight, I've had the mother of all troubles trying to get the damn thing to work again.

When I put the URL into SqueezeWhatever, the sound stops on the source PC, but nothing comes out of my Transporter (or anything else). The little DSBridge ball turns green, which I think means "I'm sending, honest!"; even more tantalising, the album artwork appears on the Controller; but the Transporter display just goes blank, and no sound comes out. (I can go back to Now Playing, scroll around other menu options to my heart's delight, but selecting Now Playing just shows a blank screen.) How the hell can it be that the Controller can see it, and believe that the Transporter is playing it, but the Transporter is not?

There's some gibberish in the SqueezeWhatsit log about some kind of problem with TitleFormatter.pm, but I have better things to do than try to work out what the heck that's on about.

To cap it all, I can't get the sodding sound back on the source PC, so now I can't listen to Spotify at all! This is still so even though I've changed the playlist on the Transporter, and told it to stop doing whatever it is that it isn't doing. In earlier attempts, it seemed just that pausing Spotify for a few seconds was enough for DSBridge to go "blue", but even that no longer works.

Yet another evening wasted pissing around trying to get the bloody software to work instead of listening to the damn music. I love my SqueezeWidgets when they work, but when they don't, it's intensely frustrating!

-- Brian

HansAndersHansson
2009-10-24, 22:21
Like in Brian's case above this was working brilliantly, but I needed to upgrade to 7.4.1 (ReadyNAS Duo). After that I cannot get SqueezboxServer to accept the http://192.168..:8124/ as input. It simply never displays the 'play' arrow on that Favourite.

I have the blue dot from dsbridge.

I did at some point see a meesage concerning 'missing LAME plugin'. That message linked to lame-homepage, so I did nothing.

Should one reinstall the dsbridge stuff, I have not touched Spotify.

Any ideas?

ralphy
2009-10-25, 05:11
From the dates in the dsbridge-20090727-bin.zip file it appears that the dsound.dll only includes r25 changes. r26 was committed on 20090731.

* [r26] DSound/Encoder.cpp, DSound/Encoder.h:
Added use of QPF instead of relying on the driver
to report proper timing information

Does anyone have a dsound.dll built with the changes from r26?

HansAndersHansson
2009-10-25, 09:04
Hi, I just reinstalled and the it works, maybe something for Brian.

Stopp Spotify.
Delete the favourites entry (or what you have in Squeeze)
Delete the two files in the Spotify directory.
Copy new versions of these to the spotify directory.
Start Spotify and play a song - blue dot should appera.
Start Squeez and input the http-stuff.

and voila, it worked for me.

svantiloop
2009-10-26, 15:52
It works for me now - this is how I did:

* Installed Squeezebox Server (didn´t change any setting here)
* Copied the three files into my Spotify catalog (c:/Program files/Spotify)
* Copied a old playlist / created a new playlist on my computer, named it to Spotify.M3U and edited it. I deleted all old text and just wrote http://192.168.1.1:8124 (change to your IP-adress, where you are playing Spotify from) and saved it in the Squeezebox playlist folder on my computer (C:\Users\Username\Music\Playlists)
* After that, I started to play a song on Spotify
* Next step is to find your playlists on your Squeezebox, and just start to play it.

I´m using Squeezebox Boom

To find a playlist on your computer, just search for: *.M3U

Hope this could help anyone who has problem with it!

HansAndersHansson
2009-10-27, 11:19
I must be doing something stupid. Ruuning Squeeze 7.4.1 on a NAS. Getting the blue icon. In squeeze enter as a Favourite http://192.168.1.2:8124/

and get

There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Connect timed out: Transport endpoint is not connected)

I have deleted the files in Spotify directory and re-installed. It worked, once, but now reinstalling does not do the trck.

What can be wrong?

svantiloop
2009-10-27, 11:22
Have you tried to do a new search in your Squeezebox for music and plalists?

I hade to do that when I changed in my playlist in my computer!

HansAndersHansson
2009-10-27, 23:45
Dunno what I did :-)

zkab
2009-10-30, 03:55

Download link: http://dsbridge.googlecode.com/files/dsbridge-20090727-bin.zip. Installation instructions are found in the included readme file.

Note that for SqueezeCenter http://localhost:8124/ might not work (even when running it on the same machine), instead you have to input the actual IP of the computer to get it to work.

I do not include the LAME encoder DLL due to the usual patent issues. It can be tracked down elsewhere.

I have following setup:

1. Squeezebox Server 7.4.1 running on a Linux/Debian and two Squeezebox Classic - works OK
2. A Windows Vista computer (IP:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) running Spotify with
DSound.dll / dsbridge.ini / lame_enc.dll (3.98.2) in Spotify subdirectory
3. I have added a favorite called Spotify with URL
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8124
The IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx pointing at the Windows Vista running Spotify
4. Spotify is started at Vista and plays a track
5. When I start 'Favorite Spotify' I get error message:

There was an error loading the remote feed for : (Connect timed out: )

What is wrong ?

superstatic
2009-10-30, 15:18
Thanks chp, for a great little server!

I've noticed a strange behavior with Win7/Soundbridge/Spotify/dsbridge:

When you disable the Windows Firewall in Controlpanel->Admintools->services the green dsbridge notafication blob turns blue and server stop streaming....

Any ideas why?

superstatic
2009-10-30, 17:16
zkab, You must use your local ip of the computer with spotify installed, the one that begins with 192.168.....

zkab
2009-10-31, 01:33
zkab, You must use your local ip of the computer with spotify installed, the one that begins with 192.168.....

I do that ... 'Favorite Spotify' contains the ip of the computer where spotify is installed

zkab
2009-10-31, 03:34
Problem SOLVED ... since I run Linux I am not so familiar with Windows Vista... it turned out that Window Vista Firewall was enabled and it blocked Spotify. When I enabled Spotify in the firewall ... it worked GREAT.
Thanks for your support

david77
2009-11-01, 11:55
I´m having problem using the bridge with spotify, evertime i switch songs or when a song is finished spotify crash and shuts down. The bridge works great with itunes. Use the latest release of the bridge posted in this thread. Do anybody else have this problem ?

trackman
2009-11-02, 11:38
Hi Forum...

I'm trying to stream Spotify from my PC - SqueezeBox. I've followed the instructions but nothing yet....
I suspect its something to do with DSBridge because no icon appears in the taskbar when Spotify is started. Any ideas?

nicoleif
2009-11-04, 07:42
Is it possible to install the DSBridge solution on a NAS, which has SCB running?

Ramage
2009-11-04, 09:15
Is it possible to install the DSBridge solution on a NAS, which has SCB running?

DSBridge is Windows only

AlliumPorrum
2009-11-07, 05:33
I installed DSBridge on my netbook with Win7 and Spotify and it works just great, thank you very much chp for your effort! :=)

Someone actually already asked for this, but I did not see the answer; are there any plans for making DSBridge to stream lossless audio, e.g. FLAC or WAV in the future? That would be really great!

I know that the difference between 320kbps MP3 and lossless is quite marginal, but since Spotify is already packed with Ogg Vorbis, I wouldn't care repacking it with lossy method once again.

I really don't know, but I would also think that lossless audio conversion shouldn't use so much processor either?

hurstie1981
2009-11-11, 17:30
I'm really struggling with this one. When i add the url to my favourites, i get the following message:

Warning: We tried to verify this stream, but were unable to connect to the stream server. This stream may not play properly on your player. (500 can't connect to localhost:8124 (connect: connection refused))

Any ideas????

Afraithe
2009-11-19, 13:01
This owns, thank you very much for this little awesome thingy!

knutb
2009-11-21, 03:34
Chp,
(and you other wonderful people who make our gadgets even better by your efforts) - thank you so very much for this brilliant software!

All the best,
knutb

Poddan
2009-11-21, 07:30
Works like a charm!
Thanks for the work.

m97rek
2009-11-24, 14:41
Hi,

I have trouble getting this to work.

I run my SqueezeCenter on my NAS (QNAP) and Spotify on my laptop. I have created a favorite pointing to the IP:8124 of my laptop.

I have also disabled my Windows firewall on my laptop. In addition I have created an playlist called Spotify.m3u in my playlist folder on my NAS.

When I press play on my remote it just displays the word "Nothing". No error message. I get an blue icon in my system tray.

When doing netstat -na I see:
TCP 0.0.0.0:8124 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
Is this correct?

What am I doing wrong? I have tried to look in the log files of SqueezeCenter but can't find anything.

Thanks

Stratmangler
2009-11-24, 14:58
Hi,

I have trouble getting this to work.

I run my SqueezeCenter on my NAS (QNAP) and Spotify on my laptop. I have created a favorite pointing to the IP:8124 of my laptop.

I have also disabled my Windows firewall on my laptop. In addition I have created an playlist called Spotify.m3u in my playlist folder on my NAS.

When I press play on my remote it just displays the word "Nothing". No error message. I get an blue icon in my system tray.

When doing netstat -na I see:
TCP 0.0.0.0:8124 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
Is this correct?

What am I doing wrong? I have tried to look in the log files of SqueezeCenter but can't find anything.

Thanks

This might be of some help http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=434885&postcount=10

Chris:)

m97rek
2009-11-25, 11:53
Have I misunderstood the whole thing here?

I thought you could have the SqueezeCenter running on a NAS and then Spotify and DSBridge running on a Windows laptop. Is that wrong?

erland
2009-11-25, 12:23

I thought you could have the SqueezeCenter running on a NAS and then Spotify and DSBridge running on a Windows laptop. Is that wrong?
That's correct, Squeezebox Server doesn't have to run on the same machine as Spotify and DSBridge.

Stratmangler
2009-11-25, 16:16

The way I read it was that the DS Bridge stuff was written to work with the Windows version of Squeezebox Server.

The QNAP runs on Linux.

Hence the thing about it not working on Macs either, with their OS being derived from Linux.

Stoker
2009-11-26, 03:47
In my set-up Squeeze center runs on a Linux machine and I run Spotify and DS Bridge on my Windows XP laptop machine. This works properly so I think that having the server on Linux is not inherently a problem.

Stratmangler
2009-11-26, 07:13
In my set-up Squeeze center runs on a Linux machine and I run Spotify and DS Bridge on my Windows XP laptop machine. This works properly so I think that having the server on Linux is not inherently a problem.

OK - scratch my previous post.

Is the problem the QNAP itself - is there something needs installing to allow it to pick up the DS stream ?

Has the QNAP sufficient processing capability to cope with the stream ?

essercizi
2009-11-26, 07:15
Instead of the artists name and song I only see the text "DP_LocalAvatar" on my squeezebox devices. I also would like to see the cover from the album. How is this possible? It seems to be somthing specific for me since no one else has aked for this on the forum.

By the way, it is an excelent function you have shared with us!

Yup, I have the same problem, both on SBS 7.4.1 (on a Buffalo Linkstation Live with Debian Lenny) and on SC 7.3 (another LS Live under Freelink). I updated to the latest DSBridge just in case, but no luck. It definitely used to give me the Spotify title and cover art, but now I just get "DP_LocalAvatar" and a black screen, though the audio's fine. A quick dig in the DSBridge and Spotify binaries doesn't seem to show "DP_LocalAvatar" anywhere, so I don't know where it's coming from. The only explanation I can think of is that Spotify's behaviour has been changed somehow (I think it updates automatically?) I might take a look at the DSBridge source to look for clues.
P.S. DSBridge is really cool - thank you, chp !

Ryssen
2009-11-26, 09:25
That's correct, Squeezebox Server doesn't have to run on the same machine as Spotify and DSBridge.
I have run it from SS on my TS119Pro,and it works,whenever it works...

essercizi
2009-11-27, 06:18
Yup, I have the same problem, both on SBS 7.4.1 (on a Buffalo Linkstation Live with Debian Lenny) and on SC 7.3 (another LS Live under Freelink). I updated to the latest DSBridge just in case, but no luck. It definitely used to give me the Spotify title and cover art, but now I just get "DP_LocalAvatar" and a black screen, though the audio's fine. A quick dig in the DSBridge and Spotify binaries doesn't seem to show "DP_LocalAvatar" anywhere, so I don't know where it's coming from. The only explanation I can think of is that Spotify's behaviour has been changed somehow (I think it updates automatically?) I might take a look at the DSBridge source to look for clues.
P.S. DSBridge is really cool - thank you, chp !

No idea why, but it's just started working perfectly again! :) Cover art, title and artist all appearing on Controller and Web interface.

atchi123
2009-11-29, 05:30
amazing app, thanks for this!
one question anyone if there is a remote control application for Spotify as I want to control Spotify on my PC from my hi-fi listening room downstairs?

Jezf1000
2009-11-29, 12:26
Hi, I'm assuming there is no Mac version?

I have a laptop which I could use, but the Mac is on all the time and that's where I store my own music too.

Thanks

Jez

Hesselvik
2009-12-06, 10:14
..... under XP. I've copied dsound.dll, dsbridge and lame_enc.dll to the spotify directory. When I fire up Spotify and play a song I get a blue ball. When I open mysqueezebox.com/settings/favorites and try to add //192.168.0.101:8124/ (my ip) as a favorite I get the "Unable to connect to server, error 500" response. I've deleted and reinstalled the files, disabled the firewall..... all to no avail. Any tips? Thanks, Fredrik

E555
2009-12-06, 16:38
Hi
Having some problems

The DSbrige icon is always blue, and I cant connect to localhost:8124
If i type in [localhost:8124/ it trying to download som kind of mp3 file which never ends, but then the Icon turns green and spotify stopps to work?

Please help , it driving my crazy not to able to stream from spotify?

I have done everyting that was in the manual
Portforwaring etc
Edit..same problem as hesselwik above
Thx in advance

E555
2009-12-07, 01:44
Sorry for bump but do anyone have an idea abbut the problem both Hesslevik and I have?