PDA

View Full Version : Invisible software player for PC - a simple HOWTO using squeezeslave and hstart

mowa
2009-06-16, 16:28
Hello,

I've tried getting a Squeeze software player run without being visible - here is my guide:

Requirements:

SqueezeCenter running on a server with static IP address
A PC
A sound card (perhaps not necessary, but it definately improves the functionality)
A little bit of free RAM (Squeezeslave is a tiny program - no worries)

Download:

Hidden Start from http://www.ntwind.com/software/utilities/hstart.html
Squeezeslave from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=105169&package_id=176494

Unpack all files into the same directory.

Create a shortcut to hstart.exe. Edit properties of the shortcut. Add the following to whatever is in "destination" - including quotes: <space>/NO CONSOLE "squeezeslave.exe <ip-of-your-squeezeserver>"

Mine looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\Diverse\squeezeslave\hstart.exe" /NOCONSOLE "squeezeslave.exe 192.168.2.150"

Test it - check your task manager to see if squeezeplay.exe is running (or use Squeeze Center). If it works, it might be a good idea to drag it to the start folder in the start menu to make it run automagically at startup.

I have no idea what formats the squeezeslave supports, but at least it plays FLAC and MP3 fine, that's good enough for me, it's all I've got. Bonus is there are no hiccups or strange behaviour as (I have) in Softsqueeze and Squeezeplay :)

It can be controlled through web interface or duet controller or whatever you use.

If you, for some reason, need to restart it, you'll have to kill the process from the task manager...

There might be smarter ways to do this, but in that case I don't know them.

bernt
2009-06-16, 23:26
Here are two other ways (Windows).

Copy this to Notepad and save as squeezeslave.vbs

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "squeezeslave.cmd" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

Copy this to Notepad and save as squeezeslave.cmd

squeezeslave.exe -esqueezeplay -retry -m01:01:01:01:01:01 server_ip

Put all files in the same directory.
Make a shortcut to squeezeslave.vbs. Done.

Or install Moose, in Preferences point to squeezeslave and start Moose with /squeezeslave.

bobkoure
2009-06-17, 09:31
So... am I the only person Squeezeslave hangs on?
Happens when there's a Libflac: decoding error message.
So long as I have it as a minimized command window, it's easy enough to restart.
Sure would be nice to have it either restart itself or simply exit when this happens...

tcutting
2009-06-17, 09:44
I currently run squeezeslave in the background using Moose to "fire it up". Moose shows up in the system tray, but squeezeslave runs w/o any console window. I don't seem to have issues with squeezeslave crashing. I do, however, find this combination sometimes causes my computer to not want to shut down sometimes - select shutdown, and the system just doesn't. If I kill Moose and squeezeslave it will shutdown properly. My normal shutdown process currently is to manually exit Moose, which also closes squeezeslave, prior to excecuting shutdown.

prob
2009-06-18, 01:19
This would a useful addition to the wiki

DrLovegrove
2009-06-18, 02:41
2009/6/17 tcutting <tcutting.3txoyn1245257161 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
>
> I currently run squeezeslave in the background using Moose to "fire it
> up". Moose shows up in the system tray, but squeezeslave runs w/o any
> console window. I don't seem to have issues with squeezeslave crashing.
> I do, however, find this combination sometimes causes my computer to
> not want to shut down sometimes - select shutdown, and the system just
> doesn't. If I kill Moose and squeezeslave it will shutdown properly.
> My normal shutdown process currently is to manually exit Moose, which
> also closes squeezeslave, prior to excecuting shutdown.

Does Moose always prevent the shutdown, or is it just when its running
squeezeslave ? If the latter, does stopping squeezeslave in Moose still
cause moose to stop the shutdown ? I'll see if I can sort this..

--
- Dr Lovegrove
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove
http://groups.google.com/group/moosenews

tcutting
2009-06-18, 08:31
I believe it's related to squeezeslave, but I can't be sure since Moose always starts squeezeslave. Also, it doesn't always prevent shutdown. I've just gotten into the habit of exiting Moose prior to shutdown. Sorry that I don't have more information to help you try to sort it out.