PDA

View Full Version : Best Router for 3rd party Software

sfraser
2009-06-16, 11:53
Hey guy's, This might not be the best forum, but I figured I would get some good insight from the more network savvy members. I am looking for suggestions on what would be the best home network router to purchase, and who develops the best 3rd party software for the above router? My neighbor and I have a GE network link buried between our houses, I want to place a router between the networks.

With OEM S/W most "home" routers only have 2 routed interfaces, and the WAN routed interface will usually only support one ARP entry. Good 3rd party software will allow you to support multiple routed interfaces, eliminating the above WAN interface shortcomings, or alternatively allow for multiple L3 interfaces on the LAN switch portion of the unit.

I also require a sustained throughput of 50mbps for HD video and support for static routes.

We currently have my neighbor's Ubuntu box with 2 NIC's acting as as router, between the two networks, but this is causing me havoc because he is running his SC on the above box, which is causing my controller to flip out. Apparently his SC is a newer version, which prompts my controller to try and upgrade. Alternatively, does anyone know how to limit SC to communicate out a single NIC on Ubuntu?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

agillis
2009-06-16, 12:24
pFsense http://www.pfsense.com/ is a great Linux based firewall/router. Get an old PC and put three network interface cards in it. pFsense is a self installing iso image you can install it on a hard disk or a flash drive for a "less moving parts" system.

Connect your internet to one port and you and your neighbor can each take another port each. That way you have complete network isolation.

pFsense will act as your firewall, DHCP server, caching DNS server, etc and it has a great web interface to configure it all.

Also I have a nice little zero moving parts PC with pFsense already loaded in flash that I don't need. It has 4 Ethernet interfaces and would be good for your situation. PM me if your interested.

86atc250r
2009-06-16, 12:40
+1 for pfSense.

pf is built on top of m0n0wall, so if you don't need the advanced features pf offers, you can get by on a more slim installation of m0n0wall.

I've been using both for a few years now, my m0n0wall box is rock solid - I have had to boot one of my pf boxes once or twice (over the last two or three years), but that may be the hardware it's on and not necessarily pf itself.

As mentioned above you can run either on very light hardware - two of mine run on CF drives as well (the other is a VM). You can also scour eBay for Intel dual nic cards out of old servers on the cheap (unless you need GbE).

Uluen
2009-06-17, 11:53
I'm running m0n0wall on Alix hardware (3 NIC), it's been 100% stable the 2+ years I've had it.

It's supposed to do around 100Mb/s, I'm sure it's enough for your 50mbps ;)

sfraser
2009-06-17, 12:13
The mOnOWall OS sounds interesting, but i was really looking more for a home router which is quieter, and consumes less power. Also I require additional ethernet ports so i can locate my backup NAS on my neighbors LAN.

Cheers, and Thanks!

agillis
2009-06-17, 12:31
If you interested PM me I have a very small PC I am willing to sell. No moving parts so it makes no sound. It draws very little power and has 4 nics. it's already running pFsense from a 1GB CF card.

Uluen
2009-06-18, 04:38
The mOnOWall OS sounds interesting, but i was really looking more for a home router which is quieter, and consumes less power.Well, the Alix I have consumes less than 10W total and has no moving parts...

Also I require additional ethernet ports so i can locate my backup NAS on my neighbors LAN.Use vLANs with a cheap & cheerful switch like the Dell PowerConnect 2708 or HP ProCurve 1800?

sfraser
2009-06-18, 07:20
Regarding the switch, that's why i was looking at the home router with modded software. Apparently they can act as a little L3 switch, which is exactly what i want.

86atc250r
2009-06-18, 10:13
Why not use an elcheapo regular layer 2, 4 or 5 port switch on the neighbors lan as it comes into your house (and before the router)? Adding a layer 3 or VLAN'd switch seems to be complicating things for no reason.

Internet
|
|
|
Neighbor LAN |---------| |----------| Your LAN |---------------- |
---------------| switch |-----| M0N0wall |--------------| Switch/Wireless |
|---------| | Router | |-----------------|
| |----------| | | |
| | | |
|-----| Your Devices
| NAS |
|-----|

Simple, cheap, effective, flexible....

Another option would be to run a Linksys WRT54GL -- using DD-WRT firmware, VLAN out the ports, and set up appropriate firewall rules using IpTables.

This will be a little more difficult to set up than a M0N0wall or PF Sense box, but it will be the cheapest option of all, and give you all the functionality you want as well as a low power & silent box (FWIW, as mentioned above M0N0wall can easily be built on silent, low power hardware).

sfraser
2009-06-18, 12:40
Good reply, thanks! But there are reasons why I need a L3 box between our networks. 1st is DHCP, both of us have our own usage sensitive $$$ ISP uplinks and ISP provided home router gateway/modems. Therefore we like to keep our "north bound" traffic segregated (unless one of us has an outage). Therefore that requires us to keep our DHCP discovery packets segregated as well so that all hosts have the "correct" gateway address. Also when we shared a common vlan/bridge group in the past, I have been having issue's with interaction between his SC and my controller, which prompts me to upgrade my controller continously.
So that's what I would like to insert a cheap low powered L3 switch in between our networks. I could create two vlan (bridge groups) on the L3 switch. Each with a unique L3 virtual interface belonging one of our networks. The vlan connected to my network would be a single port vlan. The vlan facing my neighbors network would have 2 ports, one to connect to his network, and one for my NAS. The L3 switch would of course be located off site at his house, giving be a off site backup. He will likely locate a NAS at my house as well.
If DD 3rd party software support's L3 switch "like" functionality on the LAN or WAN port of a generic "linksys" my problem would be solved. I have not been able yet to determine that.

Because my existing router/modem (2 wire) is provided by my service provider, it has a ISP specific F/W on it preventing me from many of the advanced menu's.....

If I was to spark up an old PC for this application , I would "sign out" a multi NIC PC simulator from work. These "Sims" can run's our Service Router software. But again, I would like to keep it quiet running and low power.

Thanks again

sfraser
2009-06-18, 12:46
Why not use an elcheapo regular layer 2, 4 or 5 port switch on the neighbors lan as it comes into your house (and before the router)? Adding a layer 3 or VLAN'd switch seems to be complicating things for no reason.

Internet
|
|
|
Neighbor LAN |---------| |----------| Your LAN |---------------- |
---------------| switch |-----| M0N0wall |--------------| Switch/Wireless |
|---------| | Router | |-----------------|
| |----------| | | |
| | | |
|-----| Your Devices
| NAS |
|-----|

Simple, cheap, effective, flexible....

Another option would be to run a Linksys WRT54GL -- using DD-WRT firmware, VLAN out the ports, and set up appropriate firewall rules using IpTables.

This will be a little more difficult to set up than a M0N0wall or PF Sense box, but it will be the cheapest option of all, and give you all the functionality you want as well as a low power & silent box (FWIW, as mentioned above M0N0wall can easily be built on silent, low power hardware).

I reread you response again. So the DD software does support vlan's with Virtual L3 interfaces?