PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox receiver + NAS + iPhone

melomania
2009-06-16, 10:07
Hi

I'm new to this forum.
I would like to buy a Squeezebox, but I'm not sure about the setup to use.

I want to stream audio from a NAS unit to my amplifier in the living room and control it (select the music to play etc) by my iPhone.
So I do not want to use the remote control from logitech.

Can I just buy a Squeezebox Receiver and NAS storage, connect them, and control this with for instance using the iPeng application on the iPhone?
I really would like that!!

If doing that, can I switch the Squeezebox on and off with the iPhone too?

Dingostrategy
2009-06-16, 10:28
Hi

I'm new to this forum.
I would like to buy a Squeezebox, but I'm not sure about the setup to use.

Welcome. You will enjoy the squeezebox.

I want to stream audio from a NAS unit to my amplifier in the living room and control it (select the music to play etc) by my iPhone.
So I do not want to use the remote control from logitech.

Can I just buy a Squeezebox Receiver and NAS storage, connect them, and control this with for instance using the iPeng application on the iPhone?
I really would like that!!

Yes you can do it. However, most would recommend purchasing a squeezebox classic, since you get a screen, a remote (handy for setup for one thing, or if you misplace your iPhone for another!), and their wifi and general performance has been favourable. Particularly for starting out.

I have not used NAS for Squeezebox Server, but I do understand it entirely depends on your NAS. What are you using? Many have opted for low-power 'proper' PCs for this application, leaving NAS for, well, 'S' - storage.

If doing that, can I switch the Squeezebox on and off with the iPhone too?

Yes you can sleep/wake and turn off/on using iPeng. Wake on Lan again depends on the configuration of your NAS and *most* require a wired server adn compatible router for that role. I have found iPeng handles WOL beautifully with my server, which is wired to the wireless router, which then serve my SBs.

Best of luck. Post the specifics of your NAS and the NAS pros will take over from here.

davep
2009-06-16, 15:49
Just a word of clarification regarding use of the Receiver on its own without buying the Controller. Officially you are not able to set up the Receiver without use of the Controller. There is a work around, documented somewhere on this forum, which has had several reports of success but it remains an unofficial means of setting up and as such the purchaser should do their homework first and be comfortable with this as an approach.

Otherwise, as already mentioned, go for the SB Classic.

davep

pippin
2009-06-16, 16:44
Yep. As Davep said: You will NOT be able to set up your receiver with iPeng, for that you need a controller or this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861

shake-the-disease
2009-06-16, 16:44
I'd recommend a Classic rather than a receiver for the reason of having a screen, having an IR remote as a fallback, better wireless performance, and it's offically supported set up.

I'd also recommend an Atom x86 based NAS (such as a QNAP TS-239) for 2 reasons. 1) It has the performance to handle SC whereas others don't 2) x86 based NAS gives you the option of running MusicIP which is a fantastic addition to Squeezecenter

If you find the QNAP TS-239 to expensive for your taste, I'd recommend a Vortexbox or build your own Atom based server.

Good luck :)

strocky
2009-06-19, 04:50
Just a word of clarification regarding use of the Receiver on its own without buying the Controller. Officially you are not able to set up the Receiver without use of the Controller. There is a work around, documented somewhere on this forum, which has had several reports of success but it remains an unofficial means of setting up and as such the purchaser should do their homework first and be comfortable with this as an approach.

Otherwise, as already mentioned, go for the SB Classic.

davep

Could you use a NOKIA N770 Internet Tablet to control the receiver box using the 3rd party software?

pippin
2009-06-19, 04:55
Could you use a NOKIA N770 Internet Tablet to control the receiver box using the 3rd party software?

Not with a 3rd party software AFAIK.
But SqueezeCenter COMES with a Nokia770 skin for the web interface.
May not be as fast as a native app but is fully functional.

melomania
2009-06-20, 15:19
Thanks to all of you!

I just bought the Squeezebox Classic and the QNAP TS-239 NAS.
Everything works and I'm re-ripping my CD's in a losless format.

I already like the system a lot!

I hoped iPeng was a good program to control the Squeezebox with the iPhone, but I'm really dissapoited by iPeng.
I'm using the iPhone because of its userfriendly and intuitive interface. But the makers of iPeng didn't undestand that I guess. Very bad user interface. It is totally unclear how to go to the screen you want even after playing with it for a while!

pippin
2009-06-20, 15:49
Thanks to all of you!

I just bought the Squeezebox Classic and the QNAP TS-239 NAS.
Everything works and I'm re-ripping my CD's in a losless format.

I already like the system a lot!

I hoped iPeng was a good program to control the Squeezebox with the iPhone, but I'm really dissapoited by iPeng.
I'm using the iPhone because of its userfriendly and intuitive interface. But the makers of iPeng didn't undestand that I guess. Very bad user interface. It is totally unclear how to go to the screen you want even after playing with it for a while!

Can you explain what is unclear? Most people seem to not find iPeng user-unfriendly.
Have you read the manual?
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/
A good start is the section about the UI concept:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-application/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/general-usability/

When you are new to iPhone AND Squeezebox this can be a bit confusing due to all the functionality it offers.

melomania
2009-06-21, 10:49
[QUOTE=pippin;433901
Have you read the manual?
[/QUOTE]

Well, I think that explains what I mean: You have to read a manual first!

For all iPhone apps I have, I did not read one word about the GUI.
That is the reason I use the iPhone. Interface is intuitive and simple.
It is easy to get done what you want to be done.

One thing that I think is very bad using iPeng is the fact that in some situations you can move the screen to the left (with a finger movement to the left), but when trying to move it back it is not possible or some other screen moves in. It is unclear how to get the original screen back.
I think it should always be possible to move something back to you moved out.

But I know iPeng is very powerfull and extended. Maybe I should give it a try.
I will read about the concept and maybe it changes my opinion.

pippin
2009-06-21, 11:44
One thing that I think is very bad using iPeng is the fact that in some situations you can move the screen to the left (with a finger movement to the left), but when trying to move it back it is not possible or some other screen moves in. It is unclear how to get the original screen back.

Well, if you don't like that, upgrade to iPhone 3.0 and it goes away (unintentionally, that's the one feature that doesn'T work anymore in 3.0).

I think it should always be possible to move something back to you moved out.

It is, just hit the "back" button on the top.
The "swipe to NowPlaying" is just a backup to make moving to NowPlaying faster than the "main" way to do it, which is to hit the "Coolio" button on the top bar - which, BTW, is the same way it works in Apple's iPod application. Oh, and it's the same in Apple's iPod app that you can move to NowPlaying with a swipe left (although it doesn't always work) and won't come back with the swipe right.

But I know iPeng is very powerfull and extended. Maybe I should give it a try.
I will read about the concept and maybe it changes my opinion.

Well, iPeng has much more functionality than most other apps.
And - and you may criticize this - I made a conscious decision to design an EFFICIENT app more than one that is immediately intuitive, meaning, it's supposed to be usable FAST. I did this because my audio remote is something I use a lot and I'm willing to go through a small learning curve to not have to go through deep menus later.

If you've got a lot of functionality, that's conflicting targets: Compare Squidgy, for example. That app is probably more easy to understand since for every item you tap it brings up a dialog asking you what to do with it. It will take you much longer, though, to actually do things this way.

There is room for improvement, though, especially on the "Players" screen and maybe also on the handling of "modes" and context menus - I'm currently redesigning some of these things.

And that's why I'm honestly interested in what you find difficult, in the end, that'S the only way it can get better.

melomania
2009-06-22, 08:29
I have no problems learning something new.
Especially when it saves met time later.

The problem is that my wife and kids want to use it too.
They will use it much less. So they should be able to use it without a learning curve.

I think it would be great if it just works intuitive and besides that you can do things much more quickly when you want to learn how to do it.

I hope my feedback will result in a even beter product ;-)

pippin
2009-06-22, 09:03
I think it would be great if it just works intuitive and besides that you can do things much more quickly when you want to learn how to do it.

I hope my feedback will result in a even beter product ;-)

Only, if you tell me, how "intuitive" looks like.
It's not like it INTENTIONALLY made it un-intuitive....

As I said: I'm seriously interested to learn what could be improved. Yet a simple "it's not intuitive" doesn't really help a lot if I don't even know WHAT is not intuitive.

The one point you mention (not being able to get back from NowPlaying to browse menus) has been an issue of long debate during the first beta phase and so far nobody came up with a solution that would not make something else un-intuitive.
I was really into dropping the horizontal scrolling on NowPlaying for 1.2 yet the alternatives (more buttons, a button press before you can switch pages, hierarchical pages) weren't too cool either. So for now I've got more comments from my beta testers suggesting to leave it as it is than to change it.
The full proposal about the new design is here:
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/NowPlaying

Right now, if you update to 3.0 you get another variant, which may be quite straightforward: you can't swipe to get to NowPlaying anymore, so you just have the subpages on NowPlaying and you have to switch between NP and the main (browse) menu using the buttons in the Navigation Bar. Is this better?

So yes: suggestions welcome.

melomania
2009-07-03, 12:44
Sorry I didn't react for a while.

I was very busy re-ripping all my CD's.
Because tags where not ok, Squeezecenter did not group the songs correctly.
I think 95% was moved to the 'Unknown' artists section.
So I had to correct the tags. I also wanted to move to .flac files. So I re-ripped all!

But about this user friendly interface.
I updated to iPhone 3 and now iPeng is perfect!
I know it is a bug, but there is no confusing slide anymore. It is very straightforward.
I would like to keep it this way.

I think it is ok to be able to slide to some other page, but I think you should be able to slide back to the original. I think it is bad when sliding some page away, you only can get the original back using a complety different mehtod. But, enought about that.

I like iPeng very much now. :-)