PDA

View Full Version : SBR directly to amp - why not?

86atc250r
2009-06-16, 09:41
I've read a couple times people on the forum recommend against hooking up a SB3 or SBR directly to an amplifier.

What is the reasoning behind this? It seems counter intuitive to me.

I ask because I am getting ready to buy an amp to hook up to my SBR - and I'm having trouble identifying a reason to complicate the system with a seemingly unnecessary preamp.

maggior
2009-06-16, 09:46
The first reason that comes to my mind would be that you could destroy your speakers and amp if the player acidentally became set to max volume. A software bug could cause this as well.

pfarrell
2009-06-16, 09:51
86atc250r wrote:
> I've read a couple times people on the forum recommend against hooking
> up a SB3 or SBR directly to an amplifier.
>
> What is the reasoning behind this? It seems counter intuitive to me.

The real answer is more subtle.
Its fine to connect a SB3/SBR/Transporter directly to the amp or powered
speakers as long as you know its safe.

It is not OK to rely upon the SlimDevices volume control to protect your
amp and speakers, there could be bugs that cause it to feed wide open
signal to your amp. This could fry your speakers or amp or other bad things.

Its easy to test, do the connection, and start with the volume low. If
you can crank up the volume to where its just a tad louder than you ever
want to listen, be happy.

If the signal gets too loud before you get the volume wide open, then
you need some attenuators to make it safe. Search the audiophile section
for lots of discussion, parts, vendors, etc.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

bobertuk
2009-06-16, 10:10
Also...

Your only control over volume is through the SB3, Receiver, Transporter - and it's a digital volume control. The more you reduce volume, the more digital data is lost - sound quality will be is lost at the same time. Some people can hear the difference, others can't.

As 'pfarrell' says "Search the audiophile section for lots of discussion, parts, vendors, etc.". Sean Adams, one of the Slimdevices founders, talks about it on the forums.

Bob

86atc250r
2009-06-16, 10:25
Thanks guys, I'll check out the audiophile section.

A pre-amp would be undesirable, but if I could install a simple attenuator that would prevent destruction in the seemingly unlikely event of a full signal blast, that works for me.

I suppose picking up an amp with built in level/gain controls would resolve this potential issue as well.

Digital volume -- I thought this was only an issue with the digital outs & running to an external DAC, not the analogs.

FWIW, I'm not looking for the most pristine audio available in this application, just reasonable quality running to feed to my reasonable quality gear in a rec room.

86atc250r
2009-06-16, 10:36
That all said, and bearing in mind what I'm after (noise for our rec room) --- this amp seems like it would fit the bill well to be directly connected to a SBx:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882180022&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Receivers-_-AudioSource-_-82180022

Any thoughts/experience?

aubuti
2009-06-16, 11:56
That all said, and bearing in mind what I'm after (noise for our rec room) --- this amp seems like it would fit the bill well to be directly connected to a SBx:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882180022&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Receivers-_-AudioSource-_-82180022

Any thoughts/experience?
I've had that amp driving my kitchen/dining area system for about 18 months and it works great. The auto-sensing input is a very nice bonus. It's powering 2 pairs of Polk RC60i in-ceiling speakers comfortably. I have my SBR connected directly to it, although after reading some of the same posts you have I've thought about getting attenuators. I checked the stated input and output specs and the SBR's stated max output does exceed the amp's stated max input by a little bit. But then I've also read not to bother with the calculations and just test by ear (pretty much like Pat's test) and it seems okay to me.

86atc250r
2009-06-16, 12:04
Thanks for the info.

I would tend to think for the most part, as long as the "volume" control on the amp is set to where it's not clipping when the SBx is at max, all would be well in the case of a catastrophic volume event.

tcutting
2009-06-16, 12:10
I am using this amp as well. I have an SB3 connected directly, and it works very well. I like it because it provides a very minimal configuration, and in my application I have a second set of speakers on an outdoor patio and I can use either or both sets of speakers. The auto-sensing works well for me too - I just control my SB3 either with the IR remote or my Controller, and it does everything I want. I don't think it can provide enough power to damage my speakers even if everything is "max-ed out", and usually the volume control on the amp isn't at max anyway. There are times when I think I might want more power, but even with replay gain active, I've never really needed any more volume.

86atc250r
2009-06-16, 12:24
That's what I want for this setup as well - a minimal configuration that can easily be used by anyone in the house or possibly even visitors.

The AB switch may also be a nice feature in our config too because I could send power to speakers in another nearby room.

I have two pair of these:
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rsx-5-overview/

I'm thinking that amp will do a decent job of feeding them - and if not, we're not out much.