PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with HDX1000 NMT unit?

morris_minor
2009-06-14, 15:48
Sorry, not a Squeeze-issue at all!

I'm thinking of buying an HDX1000 media streamer for movies, photos and web content (audio is already taken care of!).

Searching forums produces the usual split between those who love it (does what it says on the box etc), and those who are spitting with anger about to lob the box into the nearest skip - or eBay it. I suspect the truth lies somewhere inbetween.

Do any of you squeeze-folk have experiences you feel like sharing to help me decide?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Sike
2009-06-14, 23:11
HDX = Popcornhour = NMT = etc...

In a nut shell: The user interface is crap and so is the menu structure. It plays the films perfectly though!

(Be warned.. some versions can not play some film audio tracks due to it not being licenced)

I have one, but prefer XBMC on a Apple TV.

morris_minor
2009-06-15, 01:24
Thanks Sike . . .

I could probably live with a crap user interface if the thing works - and you say it plays movies Ok . . .

Sike
2009-06-15, 06:37
Yes, it plays nearly everything that you throw at it

Make sure you get the one that can decode (Not that sure which one it was anymore) Dolby etc.. Or at least output them as stereo or pass the signal on by HDMI to your amp (which can decode it)

yeomanspc
2009-06-15, 07:19
Well if it's the same as a PCH, then I have the A110 and it works a treat.. as 'Sike says, the UI could be better (it's just clunky and different) but essentially we have yet to find a format it cannot play, and the HD output from download or Blu-Ray copied movies is superb. A bit twiddly to get all the network stuff set up correctly but overall the best 200 squids I have spent in ages. So good, I consider to get another for the kids TV room. Firmware updates add new function etc., so a degree of future proofing as well.

widman
2009-06-15, 08:04
GBPVR offers support for NMT streamers.

http://forums.gbpvr.com/

pete

peter
2009-06-15, 22:51
Sike wrote:
> Yes, it plays nearly everything that you throw at it
>
> Make sure you get the one that can decode (Not that sure which one it
> was anymore) Dolby etc.. Or at least output them as stereo or pass the
> signal on by HDMI to your amp (which can decode it)
>

I don't know what's wrong with the UI, really... Most of the time my HDX
just works. I do have the odd crash occasionally, but mostly things are
stable. It plays almost everything. My whole home theatre setup consists
of an SB3 on top of a HDX.

Regards,
Peter

SumnerBoy
2009-06-16, 00:33
I don't know what's wrong with the UI, really... Most of the time my HDX
just works. I do have the odd crash occasionally, but mostly things are
stable. It plays almost everything. My whole home theatre setup consists
of an SB3 on top of a HDX.

Regards,
Peter

I have an HDX on order and I intend to pretty much run the same setup as you once it arrives. Satellite set-top box, SB3 and HDX (plus a BluRay player).

Do you have an internal HDD or do you stream from a home server (which I presume runs SqueezeCenter as well)? Also, what software do you run on that server for your HDX, or do you just have a network share?

I have been playing around with YAMJ which is looking pretty good.

peter
2009-06-16, 05:04
SumnerBoy wrote:
> peter;432363 Wrote:
>
>> I don't know what's wrong with the UI, really... Most of the time my HDX
>>
>> just works. I do have the odd crash occasionally, but mostly things are
>>
>> stable. It plays almost everything. My whole home theatre setup
>> consists
>> of an SB3 on top of a HDX.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Peter
>>
>
> I have an HDX on order and I intend to pretty much run the same setup
> as you once it arrives. Satellite set-top box, SB3 and HDX (plus a
> BluRay player).
>
> Do you have an internal HDD or do you stream from a home server (which
> I presume runs SqueezeCenter as well)? Also, what software do you run on
> that server for your HDX, or do you just have a network share?
>

I have a wired network link to a linux server in the basement. That runs
squeezecenter and Samba. The HDX just uses a network share. No internal
HDD so no HD sounds in the living room.

> I have been playing around with YAMJ which is looking pretty good.
>

The standard UI is good enough for me.

Regards,
Peter

SumnerBoy
2009-06-16, 05:23
Are you saying you are unable to stream HD audio (and video) across your LAN to the HDX?

peter
2009-06-16, 05:58
SumnerBoy wrote:
> Are you saying you are unable to stream HD audio (and video) across your
> LAN to the HDX?
>

- I don't play audio on the HDX (the music UI *is* extremely bad)
- I play movies off the samba share over the lan
- I stream movies from YouTube over the lan

Regards,
Peter

radish
2009-06-16, 08:27
Just to throw in an alternative option: we have Tivo Series 3/HD units on the main TVs in the house and with the addition of the pyTivo server running on the media server (also running SC) they do an excellent job of playing back video. The server works in a similar way to SC, transcoding the video to a format the Tivo likes, and the content is buffered on the local hard drive. Seeing as we already had the Tivos (and wouldn't want to live without them!) it was a nice free addon. It's worth noting that most games consoles these days also do video streaming (e.g. 360 & PS3 both will do so out of the box).

I like the idea of the streamers like the NMT, but in reality I find there's usually at least one box already hooked up which will do streaming as an additional feature, so it's hard to justify the additional cost.

autopilot
2009-06-16, 08:55
The new Popcorn C-200 is worth a look. Not sure if it available yet, but looks awesome.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/1018504-popcorn-c-200-specs-pictures.html

Pale Blue Ego
2009-06-16, 11:54
I've had the HDX-1000 for a few months and I agree with the consensus that the interface is nothing special, but it does what it says, plays pretty much anything you throw at it. It is wonderful for playing back hi-def video projects and home movies and I also have my DVD collection ripped to XviD files for simple and easy playback. 220 movies takes up only 315 GB.

I also love how nice my photos look on an HDTV through the HDX. The memory card slot is a great feature, too. It reads my 16GB SD cards with no problems. And I really like the physical design of the HDX. For less than $300 it's an impressive-looking little box. With no hard drive installed, it runs cool and quiet. But I also like the idea I can throw a 1TB drive in there, and take all my media with me.

I have messed around a little with running some of the other http interfaces for the HDX on my linux server. As these mature I'll probably get more serious about adopting one. The HDX is nifty hardware for the money, but the firmware and 3rd-party software are still catching up. In that way it's a lot like the Squeezebox. You get cool hardware with a constant stream of new feature and enhancements. Well worth the money for what you get, I fear this type of device will be a thorn in the side of music-only streamers like the SB.

lostboy
2009-06-16, 12:21
I'm using the Popcorn A110 NMT with GBPVR. GBPVR runs on my WHS, as does Squeezecenter, and records TV onto the central server, also stores DVD iso's, Blu ray rips, etc. The Popcorn hour behaves exactly like a PC based client for GBPVR and plays everything I've thrown at it except a couple of really badly formatted Xvid files, which were fine once I remuxed them.

For me the combination of GBPVR and NMT provides the same sort of flexible client/server behaviour for video that I enjoy with my squeezeboxen (1xboom, 1xSBC, 3xSB2, 2xSB1 at last count). My second NMT is on order now. Complexity of setup is about the same as getting a decent Squeeze install up and running with a few plugins, etc., (i.e. some prior knowledge required).

The current generation of NMT units will not fully decode DTS audio, but some (Popcorn, HDX and eGreat currently) have licensed capability to downmix.

Chris

morris_minor
2009-06-16, 13:53
Thanks to all who've responded!

I think I will get an HDX1000 as it seems to do what I need - I think I can put up with a rubbish interface (been using Windows for years, after all).

I agree with Pale Blue Ego that audio-only streamers are going to face a tough time as video-plus-everything-else kit get more sorted.

But my shiny new Transporter's on its way to me now, so my audio colours are truly nailed to the Squeezebox mast (apart from vinyl of course...).

Bob

Pale Blue Ego
2009-06-16, 22:08
You can scarcely go wrong for the price, and the interface will certainly improve. As I recall, the web interface back in the early Squeezebox days was pretty basic, too - but that didn't stop me from enjoying the music. The HDX is quite useful out of the box and also fun to tinker with.

The HDX also works great with raw HD transport streams from a PC capture card. I can record a TV show or sporting event on my PC, than watch it on the HDX with zero loss of quality - every pixel the same as the original transmission. Awesome.

vortecjr
2009-12-04, 16:16
I have had one for a while and stil use it even with some very expensive alternatives in my rack. Sure the very expensive alternatives are better, but I love the underdog and what it can do. For video and pictures I have to say its awesome. Check out this post in the computeraudiophile.com forum that I started some time ago. Be warned the apples in that site did not take kind to the hdx, but I added plenty of info on the HDX and what it can do.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/HDX-1000-playerserver

let me know any questions

regards

Jesus R
www.sonore.us