PDA

View Full Version : SC should automatically detect new files & rescan

dekaliber
2009-06-11, 15:53
I for one would love for SqueezeCenter to automatically add new songs to its library once it detects that new files have been dropped into its folder. This seems like a much seamless implementation than forcing the user to go into server settings and starting a rescan, or scheduling nightly rescans. Has a plugin been developed that can do this, or is this feature in the works?

I'm no programmer, but I figure it should be possible for the squeezecenter application to actively "watch" the library folder and kick off a rescan when its contents are modified. Windows knows when folders have had stuff added to it and updates the modified timestamp, so this information should be available to SC, no?

iPhone
2009-06-11, 16:58
I for one would love for SqueezeCenter to automatically add new songs to its library once it detects that new files have been dropped into its folder. This seems like a much seamless implementation than forcing the user to go into server settings and starting a rescan, or scheduling nightly rescans. Has a plugin been developed that can do this, or is this feature in the works?

I'm no programmer, but I figure it should be possible for the squeezecenter application to actively "watch" the library folder and kick off a rescan when its contents are modified. Windows knows when folders have had stuff added to it and updates the modified timestamp, so this information should be available to SC, no?

OK, but on what kind of level. If it can be done seamless without causing my Music to stop or stopping the Browse function, then maybe worth a look. Or just scan for new music, as simple as opening Setting and Clicking Scan for new Music. Total Clear and ReScan Library, a no thanks from me as my library is huge and I can't use my music for a few hours (it will play what is queued, but I can't browse, modify playlists, or add songs). Of course this might all change with SC 7.3.3 or SC 7.4.X. The future so bright I have to wear shades!

I also believe if you switch to Vortexbox that it will add the music right after you rip a CD.

Personally, I want to keep control of this. But that's just me and my opinion. Just as easy to schedule it or launch it in Setting.

dekaliber
2009-06-11, 17:21
It wouldn't force a total clear and rescan. Just have the new music show up automatically. I believe the current "scan for new music only" does not interrupt any activity currently going on, so making this automatic seems like a trivial thing to do. No more moments when I'm halfway to my living room from my computer room and I realize I didn't scan my music library. Yes, I know it can be done from the Squeezebox menu, but it does take a moment to do.

I don't see this as replacing either of the existing options, so no control would be lost. I would just add it as a third option: "Detect new/changed music automatically." I could definitely live the rest of my life pretty happily without having to think about that part of the SC interface again.

andyg
2009-06-11, 17:51
I'm working on this for 7.4.

dekaliber
2009-06-11, 18:45
Sweet!! That's great to hear. Thanks for continuing to make the Squeezebox more awesome :)

agillis
2009-06-12, 19:08
I use this php script to cause a rescan in VortexBox after we autorip a CD. Just use a cron job to check the file system for changes once and a while and run this when there is a change.

#!/usr/bin/php
<?php
$fp=pfsockopen("127.0.0.1",9090);

fputs($fp,"rescan\r");
sleep(1);
$output=fread($fp,128);
$stat=socket_get_status($fp);
if ($stat["unread_bytes"] > 0) {
$output.=fread($fp, $stat["unread_bytes"]);
}
echo urldecode($output)."\n";

fclose($fp);
?>

Nonreality
2009-06-12, 20:12
For a bunch of albums this would be nice but for one or two,ok, but as long as it doesn't knock down resources or prevent music play. It's just easy to add it from the music folder for 1 or 2 albums. No disruption that way.

bobertuk
2009-06-13, 03:55
There is a plugin 'AutoRescan' which does exactly that!

If you look at the Plugins site http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/PluginsAudio, it's there.

It can be installed through SC > settings > Advanced > Extension Downloader

Add an 'Additional Repository' http://www.hickinbottom.com/sc-plugins/repo.xml

It should be there then. I use it and it works a treat :-)

Look at Stuart Hickinbottoms site http://www.hickinbottom.com/autorescan for help.

Bob

vagskal
2009-06-14, 03:36
It wouldn't force a total clear and rescan. Just have the new music show up automatically. I believe the current "scan for new music only" does not interrupt any activity currently going on, so making this automatic seems like a trivial thing to do.

At least for me playback is temporarily stopped during a scan for new music: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10756

SamS
2009-06-14, 17:14
I just learned that you can browse by Music Folder in SC. When you do that, and find whatever music you just added, it gets added to SC automatically and you can begin playing music without a full rescan.

Not quite as convenient as an auto-sensing rescan, but handy when you want to listen to new music.

Bryan Jan
2009-06-15, 00:24
It is still not the ideal solution when you have more than 30,000 songs and you don't know where you want to look at.

I always try to listen to what I just added via New Music, every time I have to manually instruct SC to rescan before the new music show up.

jarome
2011-10-11, 06:19
And 7.6.1 does not do any automatic updates for me.