PDA

View Full Version : Recent Stable Nightly?



Jason Diamond
2004-06-01, 21:54
I'm new to using Slim/Squeeze and recently encountered the
server-crashing-whenever-we-try-to-listen-to-a-Shoutcast-stream bug.

My wife keeps crashing the server because she really wants that feature
to work again (she was really impressed with the one time it did work).

I've read on the list that this bug was fixed in CVS but I've also read
that some people are having problems with some of the nightlies. Is
there a recent version with the fix I'm looking for that I could feel
confident in installing or am I being too cautious and should just go
for it?

I'm using Windows XP for the server, by the way.

-- Jason

Tim Limon
2004-06-03, 06:19
I would also be interested in a Stable Nightly. I've been running 5.1.3
which seems to crash less often (once a day vs. 4 times a day with 5.1.5)
I've been afraid to load the nightly because I don't know how to get the
firmware back to 5.1.3. Can someone post the following?

* Which Nightly works best with Shoutcast (e.g. won't memory bloat and die)?
* How do I reload the older firmware in case I want to get back to 5.1.3?

Inquiring minds want to know
--tim


"Jason Diamond" <jason (AT) injektilo (DOT) org> wrote in
message news:40BD5D9C.7030402 (AT) injektilo (DOT) org...
> I'm new to using Slim/Squeeze and recently encountered the
> server-crashing-whenever-we-try-to-listen-to-a-Shoutcast-stream bug.
>
> My wife keeps crashing the server because she really wants that feature
> to work again (she was really impressed with the one time it did work).
>
> I've read on the list that this bug was fixed in CVS but I've also read
> that some people are having problems with some of the nightlies. Is
> there a recent version with the fix I'm looking for that I could feel
> confident in installing or am I being too cautious and should just go
> for it?
>
> I'm using Windows XP for the server, by the way.
>
> -- Jason

dean
2004-06-03, 07:58
On Jun 3, 2004, at 6:19 AM, Tim Limon wrote:

> I would also be interested in a Stable Nightly. I've been running
> 5.1.3
> which seems to crash less often (once a day vs. 4 times a day with
> 5.1.5)
> I've been afraid to load the nightly because I don't know how to get
> the
> firmware back to 5.1.3. Can someone post the following?
>
> * Which Nightly works best with Shoutcast (e.g. won't memory bloat and
> die)?
The latest is quite stable. No crashing bugs that I know of and the
memory bloat issues have been resolved, AFAIK.

> * How do I reload the older firmware in case I want to get back to
> 5.1.3?
Alas, the firmware from 5.1.5 to the latest nightly isn't downgradable.
The good news is that it's a substantial improvement and that we
haven't seen any problems that require a downgrade.

-dean

> "Jason Diamond" <jason (AT) injektilo (DOT) org> wrote in
> message news:40BD5D9C.7030402 (AT) injektilo (DOT) org...
>> I'm new to using Slim/Squeeze and recently encountered the
>> server-crashing-whenever-we-try-to-listen-to-a-Shoutcast-stream bug.
>>
>> My wife keeps crashing the server because she really wants that
>> feature
>> to work again (she was really impressed with the one time it did
>> work).
>>
>> I've read on the list that this bug was fixed in CVS but I've also
>> read
>> that some people are having problems with some of the nightlies. Is
>> there a recent version with the fix I'm looking for that I could feel
>> confident in installing or am I being too cautious and should just go
>> for it?
>>
>> I'm using Windows XP for the server, by the way.
>>
>> -- Jason
>
>
>
>

Jason Diamond
2004-06-03, 08:56
dean blackketter wrote:

>> * Which Nightly works best with Shoutcast (e.g. won't memory bloat
>> and die)?
>
> The latest is quite stable. No crashing bugs that I know of and the
> memory bloat issues have been resolved, AFAIK.

By "latest" do you mean v2004-06-03? And by "stable" are you including
features other than Shoutcast, too?

If so, I'll be installing it tonight. Thanks!

-- Jason

dean
2004-06-03, 09:05
On Jun 3, 2004, at 8:56 AM, Jason Diamond wrote:

> dean blackketter wrote:
>
>>> * Which Nightly works best with Shoutcast (e.g. won't memory bloat
>>> and die)?
>>
>> The latest is quite stable. No crashing bugs that I know of and the
>> memory bloat issues have been resolved, AFAIK.
>
> By "latest" do you mean v2004-06-03? And by "stable" are you including
> features other than Shoutcast, too?
Yes and yes.

> If so, I'll be installing it tonight. Thanks!
Great! Please let us know if you find any problems.

-dean

Jason Diamond
2004-06-05, 13:53
dean blackketter wrote:

>> If so, I'll be installing it tonight. Thanks!
>
> Great! Please let us know if you find any problems.

v2004-06-03 is working great so far!

Thanks for the killer code.

-- Jason

Tim Limon
2004-06-06, 18:18
Can either of you tell me where the slimsvc.exe program is in this release?
I cant run it as a service without that file. any help would be appreciated

--tim
"Jason Diamond" <jason (AT) injektilo (DOT) org> wrote in
message news:40C232BA.2000708 (AT) injektilo (DOT) org...
> dean blackketter wrote:
>
> >> If so, I'll be installing it tonight. Thanks!
> >
> > Great! Please let us know if you find any problems.
>
> v2004-06-03 is working great so far!
>
> Thanks for the killer code.
>
> -- Jason

vidurapparao
2004-06-06, 20:37
In recent releases, the application and service executables have been
combined into a single one - slim.exe. If you didn't specify the "Start
Automatically" option when you installed the release, you can always
register the service by starting slim.exe with -install command line
parameter.

Tim Limon wrote:

>Can either of you tell me where the slimsvc.exe program is in this release?
>I cant run it as a service without that file. any help would be appreciated
>
>--tim
>"Jason Diamond" <jason (AT) injektilo (DOT) org> wrote in
>message news:40C232BA.2000708 (AT) injektilo (DOT) org...
>
>
>>dean blackketter wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>>If so, I'll be installing it tonight. Thanks!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Great! Please let us know if you find any problems.
>>>
>>>
>>v2004-06-03 is working great so far!
>>
>>Thanks for the killer code.
>>
>>-- Jason
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Tim Limon
2004-06-07, 06:45
Thanks for the reply but, it didn't work. The computer complained the
"service was already installed" Probably a remnant of the prior 5.1.3
installation (I changed the folder name just prior to installation; Perhaps
I shouldn't have...). I searched through the previous posts and found I
could edit the registry (yikes....) to change the file path per this post:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.music.equipment.slimdevices.general/9852

All is working now except for an occasional crash when listening to flaky
shoutcast streams. You may want to include the "slimsvc.exe -remove"
command in your installer script to do this automatically (unless my folder
name change messed this up)

--tim

"Vidur Apparao" <vidur (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote in
message news:40C3E309.2000509 (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com...
>
> In recent releases, the application and service executables have been
> combined into a single one - slim.exe. If you didn't specify the "Start
> Automatically" option when you installed the release, you can always
> register the service by starting slim.exe with -install command line
> parameter.
>
> Tim Limon wrote:
>
> >Can either of you tell me where the slimsvc.exe program is in this
release?
> >I cant run it as a service without that file. any help would be
appreciated
> >
> >--tim
> >"Jason Diamond" <jason (AT) injektilo (DOT) org> wrote in
> >message news:40C232BA.2000708 (AT) injektilo (DOT) org...
> >
> >
> >>dean blackketter wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>>>If so, I'll be installing it tonight. Thanks!
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>Great! Please let us know if you find any problems.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>v2004-06-03 is working great so far!
> >>
> >>Thanks for the killer code.
> >>
> >>-- Jason
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >