PDA

View Full Version : More backlight on the screen of the SBC

Kuben72
2009-06-06, 14:25
Since summer is approaching it can sometimes be difficult to see whats on the screen of the SBC. I have already turned up the backlight as much as I can. Is there any work been done to make it possible to turn the light up more?
I know that this would drain the battery faster but that is not an issue for me since it almost stays in the cradle all the time.

funkstar
2009-06-06, 15:03
Is there any work been done to make it possible to turn the light up more?
You can only make the screen so bright, the LEDs that light it can only take so much power.

Would would probably be more successful would be to have a high contrast skin. Perhaps black on a white background etc.

Kuben72
2009-06-07, 06:25
Okay so it is already on its max? Too bad.

A white background with black letters could be worth a try. Is there anywhere I can download one of the existing to manipulate?

Zn0rt
2009-06-09, 11:32
I have found that in the year that I have had the controller, the display brightness has degraded to the point that the display is very dark when seen in daylight.

What I used to do was to have the "Block Clock" display on the screen when the controller went to sleep, and when it was charging. My guess is that the backlight in the controller has a defect whereby through continuous use, its looses brightness.

The Brightness control still works, in the sense that the backlight still reacts to setting the brightness, just that 100% brightness is now about 50% of the brightness that it delivered when new.

That the unit's display should die within a year is rather unfortunate. Certainly there is no warning in the manual that says not to use it for too long.

A warning to all: make sure you don't have anything displaying on the controller for hours or days at a time. It'll kill your display.

-Z

funkstar
2009-06-10, 02:50
I have found that in the year that I have had the controller, the display brightness has degraded to the point that the display is very dark when seen in daylight.

<snip>

That the unit's display should die within a year is rather unfortunate. Certainly there is no warning in the manual that says not to use it for too long.

A warning to all: make sure you don't have anything displaying on the controller for hours or days at a time. It'll kill your display.
This is not normal. I would contact support to see what they say.

LCDs should not fade to that extent in just a year.

ronaldg
2009-06-10, 06:03
I too am having the same problem. My controller display is invisible except indoors.

Zn0rt
2009-06-11, 00:37
I went back to the store and got a replacement. I brought back the whole thing, including the box and everything. I started the controller at the store and showed them that even at 100% brightness it was much dimmer than a new controller (which the store un-boxed for me to check, because of the issue with the in-store display models -- see below!!)

I did a little detective work at the store: I took a look at the screens on the controllers that are on and running as display items.

The controllers (two of them) in the store are also very dim!!! I checked the settings: 100% brightness and not dimmed because of sleep or screensaver. They were barely readable in the lighting of the store.

Then I went to another large electronics store around the corner and I confirmed the same thing: all the display model SB Controllers have permanently dimmed screens.

Now, how long the display models have been running non-stop I don't know, but certainly they've been on display for a very long time by the looks of the plastic.

Perhaps this is something others can check... go to some retail store where you think the controllers have been running for months or years and see what the displays look like.

-Z

rolski
2009-06-17, 09:47
As others have requested, are there any other backgrounds for download anywhere ?
Even in moderate sunshine outside, the reflectiveness of the controller screen added to the standard selection of backgrounds renders the screen info invisible....