PDA

View Full Version : Quick way to add a CD to library without rescanning

newy
2009-06-05, 07:23
Hello. I know its been discussed here but I can't find the thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I'm using iTunes on XP.

toby10
2009-06-05, 07:47
Hello. I know its been discussed here but I can't find the thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, I'm using iTunes on XP.

Create a folder within your music folder, usually people call this folder New Music. Add the files or rip your CD to this folder. These will be immediately available to you via SC7 > Music Library > Music Folder

No rescan needed using Music Folders but I think this method ignores TAGS and can only utilize simple file name structure (like accessing music files via My Computer > *folders*).

atrocity
2009-06-05, 08:22
Create a folder within your music folder, usually people call this folder New Music. Add the files or rip your CD to this folder. These will be immediately available to you via SC7 > Music Library > Music Folder

No rescan needed using Music Folders but I think this method ignores TAGS and can only utilize simple file name structure (like accessing music files via My Computer > *folders*).

I just put the music in whatever folder I'd normally put it, then use the Music Folder method you describe to browse to it. It doesn't exactly ignore tags, but it won't report the tag data in the pane where you're browsing. If you actually add the files to the playlist/queue, you'll see that it's reading tag data. It also adds those files to the database, at least when running under Ubuntu.

Uluen
2009-06-06, 07:23
Yeah, no need to make a folder for "new music", just move your new rips to the correct folder like you normally do and then navigate to this folder within "Music Folders" and play.

p-cubed
2009-06-06, 12:32
In addition to the five hundred ripped CD's in my music folder, I would like to have occasional access to another very large directory of MP3's. This directory is on the same machine. I don't want this MP3 directory scanned by SC, ever. I just want to browse through it and play things occasionally. How do I set this up?

Thanks!

BastiaanR
2009-06-06, 14:19
In addition to the five hundred ripped CD's in my music folder, I would like to have occasional access to another very large directory of MP3's. This directory is on the same machine. I don't want this MP3 directory scanned by SC, ever. I just want to browse through it and play things occasionally. How do I set this up?

Thanks!

When you need to, place a Windows Shortcut to the large MP3 folder in your Music Folder. Remove it again afterwards. (Or change its extension every time).

aubuti
2009-06-06, 14:52
When you need to, place a Windows Shortcut to the large MP3 folder in your Music Folder. Remove it again afterwards. (Or change its extension every time).
That's a good suggestion. I'm pretty sure it also means that you'll need to a "clear and rescan" in SC after you remove the shortcut. Even if you don't run a scan on the MP3s, SC adds those tracks to the database as you encounter them via Browse Music Folder. In effect SC is scanning them "on demand", which is close as you can get to playing them on your SB without scanning them.