PDA

View Full Version : Volume controller on the controller

blueye
2009-06-04, 16:29
Hi All
Is there a way of by passing the volume control on the controller and make the volume fixed. If so I would presume that the SQ would improve. I use an external dac a musical fidelity Trivista dac 21. Any other ideas on improving sound quality?
Many thanks in anticipation of a deluge of answers.
Blueye

deutscherhififan
2009-06-04, 20:19
In the settings under Audio you can set volume output to 'fixed'. Also, you could get the digital section of the duet modded by for example Bolder Cable. Once in the shop, also get the mod that adds the two external antennas for better reception.

blueye
2009-06-05, 16:42
Hi D
Thanks for your reply.
The option to fix does not show on my controller. any ideas why?
Boulder mods are very expensive, and I did ask for any other improvements but do feel at the cost the returns may not be worth it due to the very good SQ I currently get.
I was really fishing for ideas outside the boulder mods although i did not make this clear in my 1st post.
blueye

andynormancx
2009-06-05, 16:57
Your sound quality won't improve unless you are turning the volume a fair way down. The digital volume control has a fair bit of headroom before it starts losing bits.

andynormancx
2009-06-05, 16:58
Hi D
The option to fix does not show on my controller. any ideas why?

The option to fix the volume at 100% isn't on the Controller, it on the SqueezeCenter settings pages.

blueye
2009-06-05, 17:21
Hi Andy
Your a diamond.
I'm just going to squeeze center to check out your advice.
Thanks Blueye

blueye
2009-06-05, 17:43
Well guys.
My sides hurt so much as I did not find the page in settings and been laughing since.
Am I missing something here?
I know that there may be a fixed option, I'm running 7.3.2 version.
Thanks
Blueye

andynormancx
2009-06-05, 17:43
My advice would be to leave it as it is. As I say you aren't going to get any actual sound quality improvement unless you listen with the sound on your Squeezebox turned way down.

blueye
2009-06-05, 17:48
OK Andy
Thanks for your advice
I appreciate that and it concurs with my experience.
Blueye

audio53
2009-06-05, 19:10
OK Andy
Thanks for your advice
I appreciate that and it concurs with my experience.
Blueye
I concur with Andy. But, if you really want to set the fixed output:
Settings>Player>Basic Settings>Audio>Volume Control>choose: Output Level is fixed at 100%.

deutscherhififan
2009-06-05, 20:36
When reviewing the Transporter, Sarajan from 6moons.com had this to say about setting the volume control of the transporter to variable:

"Using the Transporter's volume control naturally decimates resolution if used for serious attenuation. Slim Devices says up to minus 36dB won't impinge on 16 bits."

I have no idea if this applies to the Duet as well, but I run both my Duet and Modwright Transporter at 100% fixed level.

blueye
2009-06-06, 03:41
quote Settings>Player>Basic Settings>Audio>Volume Control>choose: Output Level is fixed at 100%.

I can do. settings-audio-volume adjustment-no volume adjustment. but even with this enabled the volume buttons on the controller are still active.
Should this happen?
Blueye

andynormancx
2009-06-06, 06:07
quote Settings>Player>Basic Settings>Audio>Volume Control>choose: Output Level is fixed at 100%.

I can do. settings-audio-volume adjustment-no volume adjustment. but even with this enabled the volume buttons on the controller are still active.

You are looking at the wrong setting, you are looking at "Volume Adjustment/Replay Gain". The one you want it further up the list called "Volume Control".

N.B. on a Squeezebox Boom there isn't a "Volume Control" setting, it is only present on Squeezeboxes without built in speakers

blueye
2009-06-06, 08:00
Hi I don't appear to have "volume control" anywhere in my menus.
Any ideas?
Thanks for everyones input.
Blueye

CAR59
2009-06-06, 09:52
I'm using SqueezeCenter 7.3.2 and that is where you have to go to set the volume at 100%. First start SqueezeCenter and go to Settings. Setting is in the lower right of the SqueezeCenter main window. When you press "Settings" it should open a new browser window called SqueezeCenter Settings. Look at the Tabs and select the one labeled Player, between the Basic Settings and Music Library tabs. Click the down arrow next to Basic Settings and select Audio. You will find what you seek.

Just received a DACMagic so I'm giving the 100% setting a try.

Best of luck.

blueye
2009-06-06, 10:59
Thanks car59
Thats cracked it.
The volume control is now fixed.
Good luck with the dacmajick.
Let us all know how you get on.
I,m loving my modified Trivist dac 21
Blueye

mswlogo
2009-06-10, 21:36
You want it fix to 100%.

On a meridian processor it auto detects 16 or 24bit. If it sees LSB is used it will defeat it's own internal resolution enhancement. I'm not sure if there is a flag bit for 24bit and if the squeeze box sets it to 16bit when it's set fixed volume. If meridian falsely still thinks it's 16 bits then anything below 16bits would get clipped. Either way it's not good. So if it's truly 16bits keep it truly 16bits. I'm sure other highend dacs do similar stuff internally.