Do any of the 'software' players now work on Macs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snoogly
    • Dec 2006

Do any of the 'software' players now work on Macs?

I'd love to be able to get one of the 'software' players working on my Mac, but I have had no joy. Has anyone had any success? How?

I really feel Mac users are being let down (though I do realize we have no 'right' to something that works).
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

Softsqueeze is now community supported which means users have to try to help themselves.

I don't have a Mac but if 3.7 worked on previous version of OSX then it would seem to be a Java issue rather than a Softsqueeze one.

The Java version you mentioned in another post is not the latest version as used on Linux/Windows (1.6 update 13). Is 1.6 not available on OSX ?

Have you tried running Softsqueeze from a command line (i.e. java -jar SoftSqueeze.jar) rather than using jnlp as that would help narrows down the problem area.

Comment

• avta
      • Oct 2005

Have you tried Play? It's at www.sbooth.org I have used Max for ripping and tried the new Rip in beta form with good results.

Comment

• epoch1970
        • Apr 2008

I run 10.5.6 (intel) and just fired Softsqueeze, it installed and ran with no problem at all. I also used some time ago a beta of Squeezeplay, works ok too.
        I have no idea what your problem might be. Perhaps you need to run the disk utility and check/repair permissions on the system drive ? (can do wonders at times)
        2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• davep
          • Apr 2005

I successfully use, at different times, SoftSqueeze, SqueezePlay and SqueezeSlave on my Mac running latest updated OS X. I think there was a hoop I had to jump through for SoftSqueeze regarding which version of java I was running, and I recall this being resolved by somewhere in the MAC OS specifying which version was to take precedence as I had more than one java installed. Can't remember the details at this point however. although I think the tip came from this forum so should be findable.

davep

Comment

• snoogly
            • Dec 2006

My Java version is 1.5.0_16, can't find 1.6 for Mac anywhere, so i guess it's not available.

When I launch softsqueeze, Java doesn't render the player or controller at all - so I just get a blank desktop.

I'm at a loss what to do now.

:-(

Update:-
            Some progress! Downloaded Softsqueeze 3.8 (rather than letting SN download it for me). Launches, and I can see the soft player and controller - but the sound is way to distorted to listen to.
            Last edited by snoogly; 2009-06-02, 09:08. Reason: managed to get 3.8 running

Comment

• bpa
              • Oct 2005

Have you installed Java SE 6 (aka 1.6) ?

As I understand it, if you have only installed Java SE 5 you will only get updates for Java SE 5.

The following indicates there is a Java SE 6 available of OSX.

Edit

See also - it implies SE6 is only for 64 bit Intel Macs.

Last edited by bpa; 2009-06-02, 09:04.

Comment

• snoogly
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bpa
                Have you installed Java SE 6 (aka 1.6) ?

As I understand it, if you have only installed Java SE 5 you will only get updates for Java SE 5.

The following indicates there is a Java SE 6 available of OSX.

Edit

See also - it implies SE6 is only for 64 bit Intel Macs.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/J..._10_5_Update_2
                Thanks for those leads, but I can't find any of downloading 1.6 for Macs. Mac software update should be detecting the latest available option to download, and it is finding nothing newer than I have. If someone could let me know where I can download a newer version (1.6) than Mac makes available, I'll be very happy!

Comment

• bpa
                  • Oct 2005

the Update 1 link of

is supposed to have SE 6.

Comment

Working...