PDA

View Full Version : Synology NAS / X10 interconnect

fabads
2009-06-01, 01:54
Hello,

I am regarding to use X10 protocol to switch on/off my amps from my SBC (duet). I saw some topics about Firecracker but this small RF transmitter/receptor needs a serial port.

My Squeezecenter is installed on a Synology NAS (DS-207+) which is not equipped with serial port ?

Is there any solution to interconnect NAS and X10 with Squeezecenter ?

Thanks.

Fabrice

peterw
2009-06-01, 20:07
I am regarding to use X10 protocol to switch on/off my amps from my SBC (duet). I saw some topics about Firecracker but this small RF transmitter/receptor needs a serial port.

My Squeezecenter is installed on a Synology NAS (DS-207+) which is not equipped with serial port ?

Is there any solution to interconnect NAS and X10 with Squeezecenter ?

You should be able to use a USB-to-serial adapter, ala
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?p=62553&sid=fda53e34bbdb06f7d6870257bf075ca8

In brief:
- connect the serial adapter
- do whatever is needed (as above) to get a /dev/ttyUSB0 device
- do what's needed to make /dev/ttyUSB0 usable by the SqueezeCenter user on the DS
- compile the 'br' app for the DS (source code is included with the PowerCenter plugin)
- configure PowerCenter to use /dev/ttyUSB0 and the 'br' utility you compiled

In the Synology forum post, they're using a serial adapter based on the FTDI chipset. That seems the best choice if you think you might want two serial ports, and it costs about $20-$30 USD. You can get an adapter based on the Prolific 2303 chipset for about $10-$15, but those don't have unique serial numbers, so you can't use more than one on the same system very well (pretty much random which ttyUSBx device would be assigned to each adapter; with FTDI-based adapters you can configure Linux to name them reliably). You'd only need one, though, for Firecracker/x10 (and many other serial devices work when plugged in to the firecracker -- on my main system I have an Insteon serial controller plugged into the Firecracker and both work fine).

Make sense?

-Peter

flipflip
2009-06-02, 04:26
> My Squeezecenter is installed on a Synology NAS (DS-207+) which is not equipped with serial port ?

Most (all I have seen so far) of the DS have an internal serial port with the console redirected to it. You could probably disable that.

There's some information on how to build a cable/connector:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DS101/SerialConsole

fabads
2009-06-07, 08:46
Sorry for my late answer. Thanks for the information of the "hidden" serial port on Synology NAS.

Do you know if Firecracker TX signals obey to a standard ? I think I will have some problems with Firecracker kit sent on X10.com site because I am living in France and power supplies are 230 V / 50 Hz and not 110 V / 60 Hz. So I'll need to change the transceiver to be compliant with french standard.