PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 and Play To Feature

Wigster
2009-05-31, 11:06
Hi,

I've been reading about the Play To feature of Windows 7, which allegedly allows you to remote control compatible devices from any Win 7 machine and play music accessible to that machine's library.

If the SB were to be such a compatible device, it would greatly simplify the annoying feature of SC which makes it cumbersome to temporarily add new music that is located on a device that someone, say, has brought for a party which usually ends up meaning that I just connect the audio port of the laptop direcly to the stereo, paying the price of crappy sound quality.

Are there any plans to add such a capability. After all, in terms of business strategy, the more servers can control the Squeezebox, the better. It's not as if Logitech makes money from the Squeezecenter

toby10
2009-05-31, 11:57
One SC7 option often overlooked is creating simple Shortcuts.

Just create shortcuts in your Music Folder to point to any/all device ports on your computer (USB, memory card, etc..). Without any need to rescan, all of the new music on that device is immediately available via SC7 > Music Folder > *device*

Wigster
2009-06-01, 16:46
You sir are a genius!

Well, nearly: I would ideally like to stop SC from scanning the shortcut to my laptop's music collection, but for it to be accessible through folders. Is there any way to do that?

toby10
2009-06-01, 16:53
You sir are a genius!

Well, nearly: I would ideally like to stop SC from scanning the shortcut to my laptop's music collection, but for it to be accessible through folders. Is there any way to do that?

Not that I'm aware of. It might make a nice enhancement request to SC so one can identify and associate such temporary inputs (USB, memory card reader, etc..) to be a "look here on scan, but if you find nothing then skip it and move on" type feature. :)

andyg
2009-06-01, 17:39
"Play To" requires UPnP, which is a large development effort and there's no time for such things now. Maybe someday.

agentsmith
2009-06-01, 19:09
I use a nice music/tag organization software called OrangeCD, and use its "Play to SqueezeCenter" feature all the time. I am no computer expert, but I think it makes use of the SqueezeCenter's CLI feature?

I use the GUI interface of OrangeCD to organize and search my music, and never bother with rescanning the SqueezeCenter ever.