PDA

View Full Version : Active speakers power consumption

fabads
2009-05-30, 22:46
Hello,

I'd like to install a minimalist system in my kitchen composed of a squeezebox receiver and 2 active speakers (always powered on).

Do you have any idea of the power consumption of these models (my short list !) :
- Acoustic Energy Aego M
- AudioEngine A5 (with power saving function)
- Fostex PM 0.4

Thanks a lot.

iPhone
2009-05-30, 22:54
Hello,

I'd like to install a minimalist system in my kitchen composed of a squeezebox receiver and 2 active speakers (always powered on).

Do you have any idea of the power consumption of these models (my short list !) :
- Acoustic Energy Aego M
- AudioEngine A5 (with power saving function)
- Fostex PM 0.4

Thanks a lot.

It's fine to leave them in the On position as long as one buys the proper speakers, I recommend that you buy a pair that has signal sensing so that they turn off when no signal is present. O am a big fan of AudioEngine A5s.

fabads
2009-05-30, 23:08
Thanks for the advice :)
AudioEngine A5 are the only speakers I've found with signal sensing. Is there any other alternative ?

SuperQ
2009-05-30, 23:17
The Squeezebox Boom has great speakers. They auto-power on/off when you play. They also use high efficiency class D amplifiers. They have been compared to the Audioengine A2 speakers in quality.

fabads
2009-05-30, 23:35
Hello SuperQ,

I already have a Squeezebox receiver (just received last week) :)

pippin
2009-05-31, 00:46
For a kitchen I'd also consider Audioengine A2. They, too, have signal sensing, take up less space and have an unbelievable sound for the size. They don't beat the A5, of course yet forget about the initial "they can't have bass at that size" reaction.
While I highly regard my Boom, it can't compete with the A2s, after all, the latter have several times the volume to draw from.

fabads
2009-05-31, 02:46
hum, A2 has also good features !
I'm just worried about the output power of these speakers. My kitchen measures 4 m by 4 m approximately. Is it enough ?

pippin
2009-05-31, 03:10
hum, A2 has also good features !
I'm just worried about the output power of these speakers. My kitchen measures 4 m by 4 m approximately. Is it enough ?

depends on what you want. If you want party level, maybe not. For a kitchen most likely yes.
I tried mine in my living room (6x5m, 3.80 high) and they could fill it, yet the sound was a bit flat.
Now they are in my tiny bathroom (2.50x3x2.50) and they are too loud for that one (got too much bass). So probably 4x4 is about right.

They've got an incredible sound for the size, couldn't believe it at first, too. You should find a way to try them.

krimmo
2009-05-31, 07:40
Hi

Just want to add some figures to the thread.

I have a pair of A5 and a Receiver connected, and in standby they together consume ~10W.

When not playing music, but in active mode, they together consume ~15-16W.

When playing at moderate level the consumption is in the range of 18W.
Depending on the dynamics...

~/k

fabads
2009-05-31, 09:28
Thanks krimmo for the details. It is not negligible at the end of the year !
And are you happy with your A5 ? Did you experiment the A2s ?

pippin
2009-05-31, 11:43
Thanks krimmo for the details. It is not negligible at the end of the year !

Well, almost 2.50 at my tariff end of the year...

fabads
2009-05-31, 23:47
Hello,

0.1106 euros per Kwh for me, so approximately 10 euros a year for me if the calculation is correct : 10 x 24 x 365 = 87.6 kW
This consumption added to the NAS, the router and the switch ... Not very eco efficient.

Maybe an intelligent remote control wall outlet to switch off the speakers should help to reduce consumption.

Any idea of the A2s consumption ?

pippin
2009-06-01, 00:56
Sorry, stand corrected, it's 25 per year for me...