PDA

View Full Version : Help & advice needed to connect up receivers and Booms

spa197
2009-05-29, 17:09
I am seeking beginners style advice on how to connect music systems through a number of rooms. I have the Boom and want to extend to other rooms with receivers and with the controller. Two main questions:

1. I currently have connection issues with the Boom, in that it loses connection with the music on my Mac computer (itunes) upstairs, from time to time. I don't think there is a problem between the Boom and my wireless router (which are in the same room), but between computer and router which is causing the problem. Might I solve this problem by connecting an external hard drive with all my music on it direct to the router? Would all recievers and Booms then be able to connect to the music on the external hard drive?

2. Trying to decide whether best to purchase recievers plus amplifiers and speakers, or just powered speakers to connect direct to the reciever - which would you recommend? Is there anything to be gained (music quality or otherwise) from having the amplifier?

Many thanks
Stephen

signor_rossi
2009-05-30, 00:25
1. No, SBen need either a PC or a NAS powerful enough to run Squeezecenter or a connection to Squeezenetwork.
You might consider to connect the router and your Mac over a powerline adapter if connecting the router to the Mac is not viable via ethernet, but try to sort out if and where you really have bandwith problems first. For any additional receiver you deploy you might consider to go wired whereever possible, as an all wireless setup may not be possible at all in that case.
2. Assuming you want to deploy bookshelf-size speakers you probably get a better bang for the buck with powered speakers.

toby10
2009-05-30, 02:35
1. I currently have connection issues with the Boom, in that it loses connection with the music on my Mac computer (itunes) upstairs, from time to time. I don't think there is a problem between the Boom and my wireless router (which are in the same room), but between computer and router which is causing the problem........

I agree with rossi, get your existing connection problem fixed before adding more players.
Is your Mac wired to the router? Have you run the Boom's Network Test? Are you sure the Boom isn't losing it's connection to the router?