PDA

View Full Version : mpg123 and stream from localhost



Dave Price
2004-05-28, 22:20
Hello,

I am trying to add a 'localhost' player on my slimserver - under linux
(debian 2.4.19)

When I run mpg123 http://localhost:9000, SlimServer sees a connection
from 127.0.0.1, but mpg123 report invalid header information and never
'syncs up with the stream.

The SlimServer functions fine with winamp from other systems - any
advice on another way to output from SlimServer to the local soundcard?

The server is not running 'X' so a console-only stream application is
required.

aloha,
dave

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-05-28, 23:27
On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 01:20, Dave Price wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to add a 'localhost' player on my slimserver - under linux
> (debian 2.4.19)
>
> When I run mpg123 http://localhost:9000, SlimServer sees a connection
> from 127.0.0.1, but mpg123 report invalid header information and never
> 'syncs up with the stream.

I've seen this with mpg123 before. I use madplay, and it has no trouble
with arbitrary streams.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com

rtitmuss
2004-05-29, 01:37
Dave,

Have you thought about using Softsqueeze? This can be run headless, you will
find instructions on the download page. You will (soon) also have the
advantage of being able to sync Softsqueeze with Slimp3 and Squeezebox's.
Another possibility for you on linux is to use slimp3slave.

Regards,
Richard


----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Price" <dp_kinaole (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 6:20 AM
Subject: [slim] mpg123 and stream from localhost


> Hello,
>
> I am trying to add a 'localhost' player on my slimserver - under linux
> (debian 2.4.19)
>
> When I run mpg123 http://localhost:9000, SlimServer sees a connection
> from 127.0.0.1, but mpg123 report invalid header information and never
> 'syncs up with the stream.
>
> The SlimServer functions fine with winamp from other systems - any
> advice on another way to output from SlimServer to the local soundcard?
>
> The server is not running 'X' so a console-only stream application is
> required.
>
> aloha,
> dave
>

mherger
2004-05-29, 03:09
> Have you thought about using Softsqueeze? This can be run headless, you
> will
> find instructions on the download page. You will (soon) also have the
> advantage of being able to sync Softsqueeze with Slimp3 and Squeezebox's.
> Another possibility for you on linux is to use slimp3slave.

I have been running slimp3slave for months on my headless server. Though I
like SoftSqueeze a lot on my Windows and Linux PCs, I'm still not using it
on that machine as slimp3slave simply has been running and running with no
problem at all.

Regards,

Michael

>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dave Price" <dp_kinaole (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 6:20 AM
> Subject: [slim] mpg123 and stream from localhost
>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to add a 'localhost' player on my slimserver - under linux
>> (debian 2.4.19)
>>
>> When I run mpg123 http://localhost:9000, SlimServer sees a connection
>> from 127.0.0.1, but mpg123 report invalid header information and never
>> 'syncs up with the stream.
>>
>> The SlimServer functions fine with winamp from other systems - any
>> advice on another way to output from SlimServer to the local soundcard?
>>
>> The server is not running 'X' so a console-only stream application is
>> required.
>>
>> aloha,
>> dave
>>