PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver will no longer start (Mac)

b33k34
2009-05-18, 23:43
My mac locked up last night and I rebooted. Now everything else seems to be working but Slimserver will not start (doesn't start automatically on boot, can try starting via preferences but even after started can't access web interface).

I've tried reinstalling 7.3.2 but still no success. I can't think that i've installed or changed anything in the last few weeks.

Help.

avta
2009-05-19, 07:32
Here's my ideas. Uninstall SC. Be sure you search the Mac HD for any remaining folders. Run a comprehensive cleaning tool such as Onyx which is my favorite. It's free and can be downloaded at www.download.com After the initial screens run Automation using the default settings. Then download SC version 7.3.3 from the Nightly page. http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3 . This version corrects some problems found in earlier ones. Let us know how it goes.

b33k34
2009-05-20, 00:07
Ok, so I've done my best to uninstall, run Onyx, run disc utility repair on my start up disc, and installed the nightly but SS still won't boot (it never gets as far as offering the web access button on the preference pane).

I need to try this a second time - can you point me at instructions for uninstalling to check that i've been as thorough as i need to be.

avta
2009-05-20, 07:28
What I do is right click the Squeezecenter icon in the system Preferences folder and delete it. Then open the MacHD and put " Squeezecenter " in the search box in the upper right corner of that widow to see if other folders exist. If they do delete them as well. Then run Onyx. Then install the newest version of 7.3.3 Since you have run Onyx you might try running the Disc Utility ( MacHD>Applications>Utilities>Disc Utility ) that is a part of the Mac OS. I assume you have kept up with all the Mac OS updates if not it's worth checking again. I always run Onyx before and after updates. In any event select the MacHD in the left pane and run Verify Permissions then Fix Permissions if that is necessary. If that doesn't help then put your original OS disc in your computer, re-start it and run Disc Utility again. If other buttons appear when you are running Disc Utility such as Repair run those as well. I know this all sounds like a lot of work but I'm guessing that you have a software problem in the OS.

jef
2009-05-20, 11:32
Have you checked the logs?

I use Terminal, but there should be a console app as well.

You should look for lines like

May 15 09:41:50 port5 sudo[87892]: jeff : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server ; USER=jeff ; COMMAND=../Resources/start-server.sh

(that's me trying to start SqueezeCenter)

Possibly followed by lines that start something like:

May 15 09:41:55 port5 [0x0-0x1b11b1].com.slimdevices.sliminstaller[87846]:

The numbers may be different for you, but looking for "slimdevices" should be pretty consistent.

b33k34
2009-05-20, 12:39
Ok - this is what the server log shows in console when i try to start:
[20:38:13.4896] main::init (270) Starting SqueezeCenter (v7.3.3, r26670, Tue May 19 03:07:11 PDT 2009)
[20:38:13.4971] main::init (287) SqueezeCenter OS Specific init...
[20:38:13.4976] main::init (321) SqueezeCenter daemonizing...
[20:38:15.9851] main::init (270) Starting SqueezeCenter (v7.3.3, r26670, Tue May 19 03:07:11 PDT 2009)
[20:38:16.0701] main::init (287) SqueezeCenter OS Specific init...
[20:38:16.0705] main::init (331) SqueezeCenter settings effective user and group if requested...
[20:38:16.0727] main::init (342) SqueezeCenter binary search path init...
[20:38:16.0991] main::init (345) SqueezeCenter strings init...
[20:38:16.1145] Slim::Utils::Strings::loadStrings (111) Retrieving string data from string cache: /Users/simonstill/Library/Caches/SqueezeCenter/strings.bin
[20:38:16.1211] main::init (348) SqueezeCenter MySQL init...
[20:38:46.9329] main::init (361) SqueezeCenter Info init...
[20:38:47.0537] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (81) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver:mysql_socket=/Users/simonstill/Library/Caches/SqueezeCenter/squeezecenter-mysql.sock','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (61) at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 652
frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 81)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 658)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_connect (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 616)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_populate_dbh (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 543)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::ensure_connected (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 40)
frame 5: (eval) (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 40)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::Storage::dbh (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema.pm line 138)
frame 7: Slim::Schema::init (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 77)
frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema.pm line 141)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::init (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 77)
frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema.pm line 288)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 150)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Schema::source (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 190)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Schema::resultset (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Schema.pm line 602)
frame 4: Slim::Schema::single (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Music/Import.pm line 660)
frame 6: main::cleanup (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 389)
frame 7: Slim::bootstrap::sigint (/Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 423)
[20:38:47.0619] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1139) Warning: [20:38:47.0614] Use of uninitialized value in hash element at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 152.
[20:38:47.0637] main:: (0) Warning: Can't call method "resultset" on an undefined value at /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Schema.pm line 190.

b33k34
2009-05-24, 15:32
Bump.

Can anyone give me any pointers on my log file? Everything on my Mac seems to be working fine EXCEPT slimserver so i'm very reluctant to do a ground up rebuild. At the moment i cannot get slimserver to run which means i have 4 players on SN only. Not good.

avta
2009-05-24, 17:04
I'm no expert on log files but I think you have a number of corrupted files or permission problems. I would follow the suggestions I made in my previous post ie where you use the OS disk and run disk utility. It's not complex and wouldn't take too long.

b33k34
2009-05-25, 01:23
I'm no expert on log files but I think you have a number of corrupted files or permission problems. I would follow the suggestions I made in my previous post ie where you use the OS disk and run disk utility. It's not complex and wouldn't take too long.

I have already tried that once. I'll do it again but would like to make sure that i fully uninstall Slimserver first. Can someone point me at all the file locations?

jef
2009-05-26, 09:36
Looks like MySQL, for some reason, isn't starting up properly.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Clean_Install_-_Mac_OS_10.5.x

Seems strange that this would just "appear" after a reboot. Is your system current with all Software Updates? Have you installed XCode or run CPAN at all under perl?

b33k34
2009-05-31, 14:42
I concluded some sort of corruption - Apple Disc utility wouldn't/couldn't even verify the disc (no mountable volumes) although it would still boot properly and run everything else.

I did a OS reinstall but, of course, becasue there was a risk that i might reintroduce the problem, i couldn't restore from my usb time machine back up and had to reinstall a lot of apps and move all my data across manually.

Seems to be working fine now.

avta
2009-05-31, 15:35
What a pain. There are a few rogue viruses for Mac Os out there. I have a program called ClamXAV I have and run at times. It's free too. ( www.download.com ) Just a thought