PDA

View Full Version : Can you use the SB3 as a wireless router?

NeilF
2009-05-13, 05:32
If I have another device (a media player) with ethernet access, can I plug a cross over ethernet cable into the SB3 and piggy back off it for wireless network access for the other device?

aubuti
2009-05-13, 05:52
It's not a wireless router per se, but a wireless bridge. I've never used my SB3 that way, so I don't know if you need a crossover cable or if a straight-thru ethernet cable will suffice. If you don't already have the crossover cable, try a regular cable first to see if that works.

NeilF
2009-05-13, 05:56
It's not a wireless router per se, but a wireless bridge. I've never used my SB3 that way, so I don't know if you need a crossover cable or if a straight-thru ethernet cable will suffice. If you don't already have the crossover cable, try a regular cable first to see if that works.

So it can give another device with an ethernet port access to the network the SB is on?

My theory being here that the proposed media player could be networked to my PC by plugging it into my router with a 30ft ethernet lead (it's that far away), OR using a 2ft ethernet cable to the SB3 next to it?

So I use the wireless network connectivity of the SB3 or gain network access to my media player?

aubuti
2009-05-13, 06:02
So it can give another device with an ethernet port access to the network the SB is on?
Yes. The SB3 will connect to the router via wireless. Run a cable from the RJ45 port of the SB3 to the RJ45 port of your media player (as noted above, I don't know for sure whether the cable needs to be crossover or not). Then the media player will join the network.

You might need to re-do the network settings on the SB3. Just hold down the "left" button on the SB3 remote for ~5 seconds and it will take you to the network setup screens. When you do this, have the media player already connected to the SB3.

NeilF
2009-05-13, 06:04
Yes. The SB3 will connect to the router via wireless. Run a cable from the RJ45 port of the SB3 to the RJ45 port of your media player (as noted above, I don't know for sure whether the cable needs to be crossover or not). Then the media player will join the network.

You might need to re-do the network settings on the SB3. Just hold down the "left" button on the SB3 remote for ~5 seconds and it will take you to the network setup screens. When you do this, have the media player already connected to the SB3.

Wow! Can't see why the unit would offer this sort of functionality. I would have thought the ethernet port was solely for it's own network connection, not to also offer bridge.

I'm no expert, but I suspect then this sort of behaviour is built in and implicit in the ethernet connections?

GlenL
2009-05-13, 06:11
I use the wireless bridge feature to connect my PS3 and Xbox 360 to the internet (not at the same time though ... I swap the ethernet cable over to whichever console I am using at the time).

I am pretty sure you don't need a crossover cable.
I just used the 1m cable that came with the 360 which I am fairly sure is a plain vanilla 'straight' cable.

aubuti
2009-05-13, 06:15
I'm not an expert on this stuff either, but just consider it a nice additional feature. It was also a feature of the SB2. I imagine it was a little piece of low/no cost engineering that can be useful in some settings.

See the product specs for confirmation -- look under the Network section of http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

NeilF
2009-05-13, 06:33
I'm not an expert on this stuff either, but just consider it a nice additional feature. It was also a feature of the SB2. I imagine it was a little piece of low/no cost engineering that can be useful in some settings.

See the product specs for confirmation -- look under the Network section of http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

Yep! Good stuff!

Bridging capability allows Ethernet devices to connect to the network through Squeezebox Classic Wireless

Gibbo
2009-05-13, 07:45
I believe you do need a crossover cable. I have my SB3 acting as a wireless bridge for my popcorn hour, works great.

Simply a case of plugging it in and then going all the way back into setup to turn on wireless bridge mode.

see here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Network_Design#Bridging)

The ethernet cable between the Squeezebox and the wired device should be a crossover cable for all models of Squeezebox except the Squeezebox Receiver (which has an auto-sensing ethernet port).

Works really well, the device you plug in needs to know nothing about the network, the SB deals with any wireless security and then simply passes all data. The device plugged in even gets a seperate ip address.

radish
2009-05-13, 07:47
Re: crossover cable.

The SB3 is not auto-sensing, so if the other device is also not auto-sensing you will need a crossover. If it is, you won't.

NeilF
2009-05-13, 07:48
I believe you do need a crossover cable. I have my SB3 acting as a wireless bridge for my popcorn hour, works great.

Simply a case of plugging it in and then doing a factory restart of the SB so you can turn on wireless bridge mode.

Awesome! My SB3 is within a few feet of where my media player would be, so this means if the one I choose does not have wireless support, it can be easily added with a single cable!

I assume your can see your PCH from your PC as just a network share you can open up and drag/drop to/from?

andrei_c
2009-05-15, 16:43
If I have another device (a media player) with ethernet access, can I plug a cross over ethernet cable into the SB3 and piggy back off it for wireless network access for the other device?

Yes, you can, and it works amazingly well. I connect Ethernet-enabled Pioneer HDTV using Squeezebox3 (via crossover cable) to my entire home network. This allows me to stream high-definition videos from PC directly to the TV through the SB3.

NeilF
2009-05-15, 23:53
Yes, you can, and it works amazingly well. I connect Ethernet-enabled Pioneer HDTV using Squeezebox3 (via crossover cable) to my entire home network. This allows me to stream high-definition videos from PC directly to the TV through the SB3.

Interesting... What are you using on the PC and at your TV to enable that?

Uluen
2009-05-16, 10:03
Connect a switch/hub to the SB3 and you can connect more devices if needed.

andrei_c
2009-05-16, 17:07
Interesting... What are you using on the PC and at your TV to enable that?
On the PC side it's latest Microsoft Media Player with network sharing enabled. On the TV side it's Home Media Gallery feature built into Pioneer plasma TV.

I won't say that WMP+Pioneer combination works too well though - there are bugs on each side and many video formats aren't supported. But it is not SB3 fault, obviously.