Perhaps relevant:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/11/1335208&art_pos=4

Regards,
Peter

pfarrell
2009-05-11, 11:14
Peter wrote:
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/11/1335208&art_pos=4

Which is why my Transporter is wired Cat5.
The boom and receiver are WiFi, not critical listening.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

SuperQ
2009-05-11, 14:06
This is one of the reasons why I picked up a WiSpy. I'm also probably going to start switching over to dual band 2.4/5ghz 11a/g/n for some stuff.

Dogberry2
2009-05-11, 15:09
One more good reason not to live in an area where people are packed together in dense herds.

Goodsounds
2009-05-11, 15:43
One more good reason not to live in an area where people are packed together in dense herds.

Many people don't have a choice. For others, the dense places are chosen for a variety of good reasons.

There's a good article in the NY Times today about an upscale experimental town in Germany where driveways, street parking, and driving in town are not permitted. It's called Vauban. The structures are multistory row houses to save energy, with 5500 residents in one square mile of space.

Dogberry2
2009-05-11, 16:29
Many people don't have a choice.I'm not sure what you mean. Other than people locked up in prison or children too young to leave home, can you give an example of someone who wouldn't have a choice?

In any case, I know that a lot of people choose to live in ultra-crowded areas. That's kind of self-defining; crowded areas are areas where a lot of people choose to live. All I meant was that choosing to live there means accepting a lot of overlap with other people, whether in radio frequency traffic, foot traffic, street traffic, or other areas of life. Suits some people, obviously, but doesn't suit others.

Goodsounds
2009-05-11, 18:56
I'm not sure what you mean. Other than people locked up in prison or children too young to leave home, can you give an example of someone who wouldn't have a choice?

I'm not sure if I'm being baited, but I'll try to give it a straight reply,

Many choose to live in dense urban settings. Many don't.

In the US, many dense urban neighborhoods are those of people of blue collar, lower income or socio-economic groups. People living in public housing. Students with limited means. Young people just starting out with limited budgets and/or entry level jobs. People without a car who need to live near where they work or study. Higher density is often less desirable, and so often cheaper. People who live in such places often have no choice.

My experience is that housing units in Europe and Asia are smaller than in the US, and with more apartment buildings and fewer detached houses (in general). Therefore closer together. And sometimes with many of the reasons in the preceding paragraph also applying.

Not all cities have lower income neighborhoods. In some places, urban dwellings are expensive and lower income housing and public housing are a bit out of town (the banlieues outside Paris, high rise apartments).

When I read your comment, I thought I would point out that there are many people who, for a variety of reasons, have less flexibility and fewer options than others do. Sorry for the wordy reply.

Howard Passman
2009-05-12, 04:57
and they'll eat your pigs when they get large enough :-)

Mick Seymour
2009-05-12, 10:26
upscale experimental town in Germany where driveways, street parking, and driving in town are not permitted. It's called Vauban. The structures are multistory row houses to save energy, with 5500 residents in one square mile of space.

Didn't they have those during WWII?

No, I'm not baiting; just recovering from watching Schindlers List last night.

Dingostrategy
2009-05-12, 10:33
Cool!

We can get to know the neighbours and set up one server between us. HALF PRICE!

Should be a good iPeng fight, that one. Still while they harvest the vegies on the communal rooftop patch with humanure and a methane sink, I will shut down their player to free up bandwidth for me.

Good times ahead people. Offset now. Vote 1 for recycled hardware, at a minimum.

Dogberry2
2009-05-12, 11:48
When I read your comment, I thought I would point out that there are many people who, for a variety of reasons, have less flexibility and fewer options than others do. Sorry for the wordy reply.Oh, okay, now I see what you're getting at. "Less flexibility and fewer options" certainly sounds right to me. I guess we're just using different definitions of the word "choice", but since this isn't really the forum for debating the merits of pop sociology, or the underlying philosophical issue of whether people ever actually make choices or are merely automatons buffeted about by circumstances, we can just leave it at "fewer options".

(Oh, and I didn't think your reply was wordy; it was simply a well-phrased explanation of what you meant, so no need to apologize.)

Goodsounds
2009-05-12, 14:06
Howard - no comprendo

Mick - very funny. The British and French (and any other would be joiners) are tasked, for perpetuity, with ensuring no one forgets the two world wars. And so far so good. Gallows humor is always appropriate to dispel what can otherwise be overly depressing thoughts.

funkstar
2009-05-14, 02:18

Many people don't have a choice. For others, the dense places are chosen for a variety of good reasons.
People also want to live in an urban environment.

I know that right now I don't want to live in the country. Perhaps in ten years when I have a family to think about, but even then I grew up in the city (all be in the west end in a nice area) and I like it here. My appartment (of flat as we call them) isn't exactly packed together with others (victorian era tenement, which is larger than most comparable modern builds), but by the sounds of it a baby monitor would have a huge effect on my wifi (along with the dozen or so other networks I can see with my laptop).

jo-wie
2009-05-14, 03:36
Didn't they have those during WWII?

No, I'm not baiting; just recovering from watching Schindlers List last night.

No, that was called Konzentrationslager and is unforgettable history. We did learn from it and I know that my children will also remember it.