PDA

View Full Version : How To Stream Whats Playing?

BigBirdy
2009-05-09, 18:23
I was wondering if it were possible, maybe a plugin or something, where I could have a link to a web page that people could click open and hear/stream what I am playing? Is this even possible? For instance, I already have a small Joomla module which shows what I am playing, album art, bit rate etc through weblogger. But it would be great if people could also "hear" what I am playing in real time?

funkstar
2009-05-09, 23:24
I was wondering if it were possible, maybe a plugin or something, where I could have a link to a web page that people could click open and hear/stream what I am playing? Is this even possible? For instance, I already have a small Joomla module which shows what I am playing, album art, bit rate etc through weblogger. But it would be great if people could also "hear" what I am playing in real time?
You have a license from the publishers to broadcast a stream of music? effectively like a radio station. :)

Dingostrategy
2009-05-09, 23:42
Yes it can be done. Given the legalities it's not wise to discuss the how-tos. University radio stations use freeware and some basic gear to do this all the time (but with appropriate licencing - most of the time!)

Whether it could be done with SC is far too hard a question for me.

But for a legal alternative, that's not exactly what you asked for, consider blip.fm

funkstar
2009-05-10, 01:20
Been thinking about this, and ignoring the legal implications, I don't know how you would do this with a standard SC setup. Certainly a plugin might be able to add this functionality, but I've not seen one that does.

You could kludge it, but it would be ugly. /stream.mp3 can't be synced to a player, so you can't use that. However, you can sync a copy of SqueezePlay to your hardware player. Then you can capture the sound from your PC using something like IceCast and make that stream public. Or using a purely SC setup, you can get more complicated by using the WavInput plugin, then calling that up using a media player attached to /stream.mp3. this then fakes an out of sync connection between a hardware player and stream.mp3. While the audio wouldn't actually be in sync, it would at least be the same playing etc, just delayed a bit due to buffers. You would also get any windows sounds coming through Wav Input.

Like I said, ugly as sin, and not legal if you are making that stream public on your blog/site. You also have bandwidth issues to consider. This is all going out over your broadband connection. It wouldn't take too many feeds to strangle the connection.

smc2911
2009-07-18, 16:15
Is it possible to stream blip.fm on the Squeezebox?