PDA

View Full Version : sound quality of SqueezePlay

rydenfan
2009-05-06, 07:24
In one of my rooms I have a Transporter and in another I am planning a Mac Mini running SqueezePlay and external DAC. I am just wanting to make sure that the new SqueezePlay is a bit perfect solution. I am assuming SqueezePlay passes the exact signal that get passed to my Transporter but just want to make sure. Thanks!

radish
2009-05-06, 07:44
What comes out of SqueezePlay will be bit perfect (volume adjustments notwithstanding) - but what the Mac does to it after that is anyone's guess :)

pippin
2009-05-06, 07:54
I think the two questions here are:
1. Does SqueezePlay support lossless formats (flac) on Mac? Yes, I suppose.
2. Does the Mac Mini have an SPDIF out?

radish
2009-05-06, 08:17
and 3. What happens to the stream between the source app and the ouput. Don't assume it gets through unmolested, there are often mixers, resamplers, EQ, etc in the mix.

rydenfan
2009-05-06, 08:56
I think the two questions here are:
1. Does SqueezePlay support lossless formats (flac) on Mac? Yes, I suppose.
2. Does the Mac Mini have an SPDIF out?

I will actually be going Firewire to the DAC.

rydenfan
2009-05-06, 08:56
and 3. What happens to the stream between the source app and the ouput. Don't assume it gets through unmolested, there are often mixers, resamplers, EQ, etc in the mix.

is this a given that the Mac Mini will do this? or is this an assumption?

ted_b
2009-05-06, 09:15
David (Rydenfan) and I are on the same quest (and we're working together on this), to use a software player and Squeeze Center to send a bit perfect signal, through firewire, to a firewire DAC (Weiss DAC2). This way we get to keep our SC as our music server, use FLAC, and use iPeng app/iPod as our remote GUI interface.

Although we're open to using whatever CPU, right now David has SC on a Mac and I have SC on a Vista PC. My 10 minutes of trying/testing Squeezeplay through my onboard sound driver (not the final setup of course, that would be fw DAC) has garnered this:
* 16/44.1 works fine but has considerable noise in the background, which isn't normal for my pc. My pc setup isn't state of the art but through my Audio Engine 5 speakers I can tell you that Foobar sounds incredible, so it's something to do with Squeezeplay setup. (again, only 10 minutes of experience here)
* 24/96 doesn't seem to work, even though the Squeezeplay Wiki says it should. Squeezeplay shows album as "stopped". This issue is very important to me. i have LOTS of hirez and need at least my Transporter capability (i.e 24/96). 24/192 would be icing on the cake. Again, Foobar handles all the way to 24/192 on my pc, so it ain't a restriction of my pc's sound capabilities.

I can't seem to find a settings page for Squeezeplay audio drivers (which could fix the above issues). Most of these settings are either SC related, or are testing areas for text input, etc. There is one area for test tones (which includes sine waves for 88.2 and 96k) but they don't respond when chosen.

radish
2009-05-06, 09:33
is this a given that the Mac Mini will do this? or is this an assumption?

It's an assumption based on a decent understanding of how these things are typically done. It's usually possible to get a bit-perfect channel all the way through (at least it is on Windows) but it can take some tweaking (ASIO drivers, Kernel Streaming etc). Some quick googling suggests that the same problems exist on OSX (and hopefully there are similar solutions).

Mnyb
2009-05-06, 19:39
Sadly i think SqueezePlay would just use the system default audio setting on any platform, and even ignore it on Mac ? i've read in some tread, somebody tried an usb soundcard and still got the music trough internal laptop speakers ?

On ubuntu it plays 24/96 files but ! they get truncated to 16/96 ?

The developers claimed that this was down to some alsa problem in my ubuntu install, this is quite possibly so, but when 24/96 is not working on windows either hmm.

Well there is still a slim possibility that SqueeezePlay could use 24/96 on a linux machine.

And Radish is rigth for windows you want to select Asio drivers or kernel streaming just like you do with foobar, these drivers are installed to windows and can be selected by any application thats recognize this functionality apparently not SqueezePlay.

ted_b and ryde fan why not write an bug report on this ? in bugzilla
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

pippin
2009-05-07, 02:16
What about SqueezeSlave?

rydenfan
2009-05-07, 05:48
What about SqueezeSlave?

I have not tried squeezeslave yet. I am not super technically inclined when it comes to computers so I am still trying to figure out how to make it work properly.

rydenfan
2009-05-07, 16:06
So, I have found a major issue with SqueezePlay, it does not output sound!! When I hooked my DAC up via Firewire there is no sound. I can use other front-ends and it works fine but nothing with SqueezePlay. There is no way to set the output device. Hopefully will get resolved soon!

pippin
2009-05-07, 16:15
So, I have found a major issue with SqueezePlay, it does not output sound!! When I hooked my DAC up via Firewire there is no sound. I can use other front-ends and it works fine but nothing with SqueezePlay. There is no way to set the output device. Hopefully will get resolved soon!

OK, you could probably use SqueezeSlave but that's limited to 44.1/16

What about SoftSqueeze (comes with SC)?