PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering/pauses during playback from local network

ziphnor
2009-05-03, 09:20
I have been using a Squeezebox receiver (the type that comes with the duet package) along with an iPod Touch + iPeng as remote.

Recently the receiver has started suddenly stopping in the middle of songs (which are stored on my server on the same local network), pausing up to several seconds before resuming playback. This seems to occur quite randomly. The indicator on the box simply goes from bright white to the "paused" white. It never changes color, so i assume it is not a network connectivity problem.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Various info:
* The player is connected to my AV receiver using the digital coax connection.
* Most of my music is in either Apple lossless or FLAC
* I am running SC 7.3.2 on Windows Home Server

jo-wie
2009-05-03, 13:27
Sounds like a buffering problem. How are your music server and receiver connected?

Have a look at

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

ziphnor
2009-05-09, 01:27
Thank you for the response.

The player is connected to the Wifi accesspoint in my router, the server is an Athlon64 3000+ with 1.5gb memory connected via 100mbps wired network to the router.

Currently the signal strength reads as 73-76% for the player, which i guess should be fine?

From the link you give there is a mention of enabling display of buffer fullness:
"Go to Player Settings - Now Playing Information and set "Include buffer fullness in Playing Display Mode list:" to Enabled".

However i cannot find this option anywhere in the squeezecenters settings.

I am planning to switch to wired networking anyway since i already have a network cable connected to my HTPC, all i need is a switch. However, before i do so i would like to be certain that the problem really is the wifi.

Phil Leigh
2009-05-09, 01:32
Thank you for the response.

The player is connected to the Wifi accesspoint in my router, the server is an Athlon64 3000+ with 1.5gb memory connected via 100mbps wired network to the router.

Currently the signal strength reads as 73-76% for the player, which i guess should be fine?

From the link you give there is a mention of enabling display of buffer fullness:
"Go to Player Settings - Now Playing Information and set "Include buffer fullness in Playing Display Mode list:" to Enabled".

However i cannot find this option anywhere in the squeezecenters settings.

I am planning to switch to wired networking anyway since i already have a network cable connected to my HTPC, all i need is a switch. However, before i do so i would like to be certain that the problem really is the wifi.
That setting isn't available for a Receiver!
You need to run a Server & Network Health test... in SC, click on the Help icon (bottom left)