PDA

View Full Version : What is the Analog power out on a Squeezebox?

JasGot
2009-04-28, 07:27
I am driving an AudioSource AMP-100 with my squeezebox.

I have found that I have to turn the volume on the SB up past 68 in order for the AMP to realize it is there and start playing.

Once the SB passes 68 and the amps fires up, I can lower the SB back down to about 47 before the amp thinks it has gone away.

I have this issue on both inputs of the amp and I have it without regard to the "auto on" setting of the amp.

It seems to me that if I had just a bit more "umph" from the SB, I would be ok.

Can someone tell me what the analog out of the SB is? or if I am going in the wrong direction?

Thanks
Jason

avta
2009-04-28, 07:40
Jason:
The analog output of the SB is the output signal after processing by the SB's internal dac ( digital to analog converter ). Since the signal is originally in digital form it has to be changed to an analog version so you can listen to it. That's what the SB's dac does. I know that some people connect their SB's directly to their amp's but I don't think that's the best thing to do. It's not my opinion but that of the SB's developer who has commented on this in the past. You should use a preamp between the SB and your amp.

aubuti
2009-04-28, 08:07
You don't say *which* SB model, but according to the product page for the SB3/Classic (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html#outputs) the analog output is "Full 6.0Vpp line-level". I use the AudioSource Amp-100 in my kitchen system, but I always have the SB volume at 100% and then control the volume to the speakers via wall controls, so I can't give you specific SB volume levels that work or not. I do suggest that you only use the input2 on the Amp100 for your SB, because input1 is designed to cut for the slightest pause, or even quiet passage, in the music.

JasGot
2009-04-29, 05:27
Thanks, I'll try input two again tonight and see if that helps. I did order a pre amp over the weekend. I'll report back if that helps.

Thanks for the ideas, from both of you. I'm eager to get this working so everyone in the house is happy!

You don't say *which* SB model, but according to the product page for the SB3/Classic (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html#outputs) the analog output is "Full 6.0Vpp line-level". I use the AudioSource Amp-100 in my kitchen system, but I always have the SB volume at 100% and then control the volume to the speakers via wall controls, so I can't give you specific SB volume levels that work or not. I do suggest that you only use the input2 on the Amp100 for your SB, because input1 is designed to cut for the slightest pause, or even quiet passage, in the music.

avta
2009-04-29, 07:14
I'm sure you will notice a difference. The next thing to consider is getting an external dac and use the SB's digital output. That in my opinion would be the next step up.

aubuti
2009-04-29, 07:34
Thanks, I'll try input two again tonight and see if that helps. I did order a pre amp over the weekend. I'll report back if that helps.

Thanks for the ideas, from both of you. I'm eager to get this working so everyone in the house is happy!
You might find this interesting reading as well: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connect_To_PowerAmp

aubuti
2009-04-29, 10:02
Sorry to follow up my own post, but I just wanted to add a couple things. From what I can tell the SB2/SB3/Classic has an analog output of 6.0Vpp, which translates to 2.1Vrms. The AudioSource Amp-100 input sensitivity appears to be 775mV, or 1.5Vrms. This means that the SB2/SB3/Classic has plenty of "oomph" going into the amp's line inputs. Actually too much oomph. So the preamp should be useful for matching the SB's output to the amp's input sensitivity, but it's not clear a priori that will solve your problem of the amp switching off. So please do report back with what you find, because it's not obvious to me that you don't have some other problem, either with the interconnects or with the amp itself.

Also, yesterday I forgot to mention that once, very late at night, I did happen to listen to my kitchen system with the SB turned down to somewhere in the 10-20% range and it worked fine. Well, fine until my wife called me at work the next day to tell me that something was wrong with the system because she could barely hear it ;o). (The kitchen has a Duet Receiver, which has a lower analog output, only 4.8Vpp.)

Out of curiosity, what preamp did you order?