PDA

View Full Version : ? iTunes Update plugin

starcat
2009-04-28, 06:02
Anyone know how the SC to iTunes update work, i.e. the other way round where the iTunes Library is updated with playcount, last played and ratings from SC? I think that this plugin is called "iTunes Update" and is written by James Craig, http://www.jamescraig.co.uk/SlimServer

Does it just update the xml file and what happens if the xml file is open and iTunes is already running?

Thanks much!

Craig, James \(IDEAS\)
2009-04-28, 06:16
Hi Starcat,
The plugin actually does the updating via iTunes' own interface (using COM on Windows and Applescript on the Mac), so in fact iTunes must be running for it to work!

James

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error. Morgan Stanley may monitor and store emails to the extent permitted by applicable law.

starcat
2009-04-28, 11:39
James, thanks much!

I have a Qnap NAS running linux with SC7 on it. I have iTunes running on a different Mac computer. This Mac computer exports the iTunes library xml file on a share which is imported on the NAS so that SC can import ratings and playlist from the iTunes xml file. Now, I would like to have the otherway roud synchronisation where changes made on SC are propagated to iTunes. Is it possible to extend your plugin so that it calls AppleScript on the remote Mac running iTunes (even connected through simple telnet and not necessary ssh). Would be a very nice feature and I think that this would be interesting to other people as well, especially nowadays where SC is run more and more on NAS hardware, i.e. not on the same computer like iTunes. The plugin may take the IP address of the remote computer running iTunes as an argument on its settings page. Should be quite straightforward, what do you think?

Greetings

Craig, James \(IDEAS\)
2009-04-29, 03:18
Unfortunately I have neither a linux or Mac box, so while this might be possible, it wouldn't be me doing it!
I'm happy to accept any enhancements from other people though.

James

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error. Morgan Stanley may monitor and store emails to the extent permitted by applicable law.

starcat
2009-04-29, 07:46
James, thanks!

Anyone with programming skills willing go contribute to this phantastic plugin?