PDA

View Full Version : How to use SoftSqueeze remotely without opening ports?

flynn
2009-04-27, 11:14
I'd like to use softsqueeze remotely. As far as I know I have to open port 900x (9009 in my case) and 3483 on the server. I'm also running an SSH server. I'm not comfortable with squeezecenter being accessible remotely as a result. For example, if I set a password on squeezecenter then my SBController becomes a pain to use.

Is there any way to run softsqueeze purely through SSH without having to open other ports? Any other options to lock things down?

(Or is there a plugin that allows the squeezecenter webUI to play through the local sound device, which would almost obsolete softsqueeze?)

Moonbase
2009-04-28, 10:56
You could tunnel a VPN connection through SSH. Or use any other good working VPN solution. And besides, it's safer :-)

jth
2009-04-28, 11:33
This is pretty easy to do if the ssh server is running on the squeezecenter
server. See this page:

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/ssh.html

In the ssh tab in softsqueeze prefs, you want to enable the ssh tunnel
and fill in (at least) server, port, username and password.

flynn
2009-04-28, 20:11
This is pretty easy to do if the ssh server is running on the squeezecenter
server. See this page:

http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/ssh.html

In the ssh tab in softsqueeze prefs, you want to enable the ssh tunnel
and fill in (at least) server, port, username and password.

That's what I'm doing now... My understanding is that you not only need port 22 for SSH, but you *still* need ports 900x and 3483 open on the server. I haven't been able to get softsqueeze to work without doing that.

Is there a way to get it working out without opening ports 900x and 3483 on the server?

mr_hyde
2009-04-29, 06:19
That's what I'm doing now... My understanding is that you not only need port 22 for SSH, but you *still* need ports 900x and 3483 open on the server. I haven't been able to get softsqueeze to work without doing that.

Is there a way to get it working out without opening ports 900x and 3483 on the server?

It should work with softsqueeze without opening the other ports

But you also could use Putty.

log into your server via putty and configure putty tunnels. There you forward the ports via ssh. Then you just have to tell softsqueeze to connect to 'localhost'. This works also fine through a proxy, since i have problems to configure our proxy within softsqueeze. You just have to open the ssh port for this method.

The only problem is, that you have to start putty and softsqueeze for that method.

flynn
2009-04-29, 09:54
It should work with softsqueeze without opening the other ports

So just port 22 needs to be forwarded on the server? I haven't been able to get this to work.

Someone else was having the same problem here - I get the behavior they describe:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36688

What should the fields on the ssh tab be set to? For example, what should "forward additional ports" be set to?

atlslim
2009-04-29, 11:41
this works for me using putty and softsqueeze as described:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=296169&postcount=2

flynn
2009-04-29, 12:25
So noone has got SoftSqueeze working remotely via SSH *without* opening ports 900x/3483 and *without* putty tunnels?

Thanks for the link to the putty tunnels howto, sounds like that's the best option for using softsqueeze remotely:

On SERVER end (desktop at home in my situation):
- Install OpenSSH in XP using Cygwin (fairly straight forward, do a Google search)
- Configure router for your server (forward port 22 to your server computer)
- Remember, you do NOT need to forward ports 9000 and 3483 to use SSH - that is the point! Better security.
- Install and run SqueezeCenter (somehwhere in Settings, I chose for it to run at startup (requires user name and password to be stored) in case I'm away for a few weeks and my computer restarts due to power outage, etc)

On CLIENT end (laptop in my situation)
- Using Putty, created a tunnel (Under Connection, SSH, Tuunnels in the option tree) -> (Source port: 9000, Destination: 127.0.0.1:9000)
- Create another tunnel -> (Source port: 3483, Destination: 127.0.0.1:3483)
- In options tree under SSH, Set "Preferred SSH protocol version:" to "2 only" (supposedly exploit found in version 1)
- Go back to Session at the top of the tree, put your home routers IP address in or your Dynamic DNS if you have it registered, click connect.
- Install and open SoftSqueeze, in Settings, under Basic tab, put "localhost" into SqueezeCenter Hostname box.
- Make sure the box is NOT checked under use SSH tunnel (you've already established you tunnel using Putty)
- Click ok, and you should be up and running.

why isn't this in the softsqueeze FAQ... ?